Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Deepest sympathy to all those connected to such a terrible event in Boston.

I woke before my alarm this morning and just felt I had to get out for a run.
    5 miles at 9 minute pace.

I just about managed to get out early this morning. Alarm went off at 5:50am and there was huge temptation to stay put which lasted all of about 2 mins.

I decided to run my favourite 5 mile route, but in reverse, this was a bad choice as not only did I have the drag of a 2ish mile climb (St Enda's main car park up to the 3rock pub) but the wind was in my face the whole way and the point of the run was to keep the heart rate at 150 which became impossible. I did actually enjoy the run though.

This is week 4 of the latest comeback and I'm finally starting to feel like a runner again, think it's time to pick a race or 2 for May.

Also I put this up in another thread yesterday if anyone who uses Marlay park is interested.
    Thanks for that, only getting around to playing with strava now. Like robinph can't see myself logging every run but I've setup a couple of segments for Marlay park that might be of interest to other users of the park. Would be good to have a competitive leaderboard over these segments
    1k Loop
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3843191

and 1 mile loop
    http://app.strava.com/segments/3844832

My youngest goes to playschool on Thursdays and Fridays, so no need to get up early.
    Headed to the park for just after 9:30 and the plan was 5x1k on the Marlay loop.
    The idea was to stick to 180 HR as best I can and the recovery would be how long it took the HR to get back to 130 bpm. I felt really good throughout and was tempted to hammer the final rep as best I could but I'm trying to take a more sensible approach to my training.

1st K - 4'26, rec 1'12
    2nd K - 4'39, rec 1'32
    3rd K - 4'47, rec 1'39
    4th K - 4'43, rec 1'50
    5th K - 4'45, rec 1'46

The wind played havoc with the session but I still enjoyed it. 5.25 miles in total.
    Next week I'll do a 4x1 mile before starting the McMillan 10k work outs.

Looking over last years training and there was a couple of months where I really was flying and had my two best sessions ever, 6x1 mile and 5x2k. These came on the back of listening and doing what Larry told me which was based around Hadd and one of them was running a lot of miles between 140-150 bpm and we also started running once a week at 160 but I was only allowed to run at 160 for as long as the pace per mile didn't drop.
    So I'm thinking
    Recovery miles (5/6 milers) 140-150
    Long run (10 mile +) 160 for as long as pace doesn't drop
    Session (1 per week) Mcmillan 10 k workouts

I feel more focussed than I ever have in the past and this is evident by my eating habits :D I'm 3 weeks off sugar which I've never done before, I probably used to go through half a bag a week :eek:

Friday - 5 mile recovery run

Sunday
    8.2 @ 160HR, this worked out at 9'10 pace on a very hilly course.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/49845578
    I felt really good on this run, my longest this year :eek: but I did suffer badly with a stitch for the last 3 miles so I cut it short. I was aiming for 10 and the legs were game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The penny has just dropped for me here. Was wondering who this letsyourselfgo punter was who showed up out of nowhere liking multiple posts on my log! :)

Welcome back and best of luck!

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    The penny has just dropped for me here. Was wondering who this letsyourselfgo punter was who showed up out of nowhere liking multiple posts on my log! :)

I like what you did there, no wonder you're getting some writing gigs :D
    I managed a 30 minute recovery run yesterday, the heart rate was starting to climb so I cut it short by 10 mins.
    Up early this morning for a 40 minute easy paced run and the heart rate was back to normal.
    Meeting a friend in marlay later for a run and a few strides.
    I should probably pick a race soon as well to see where exactly I'm at, maybe the sportsworld 5 but I'm not too keen on the new course especially when it's windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I should probably pick a race soon as well to see where exactly I'm at, maybe the sportsworld 5 but I'm not too keen on the new course especially when it's windy.

Still complaining about the wind on that course??
    Some things never change even if usernames do!

belcarra wrote: »
    Still complaining about the wind on that course??
    Some things never change even if usernames do!
    I was extremely moany last year alright :D

Nice little session today
    1 mile warm up
    10x230m with a 270m jog recovery.
    1 mile cool down

First rep was too fast at 46 but all the rest were between 51 and 54.
    Really enjoyed this and held my form pretty well. My partner wanted to hammer the last but I resisted. He wants to do sth similar every Tuesday but I'm not so sure, I didn't mind keeping him company for today but don't feel I'm ready for 2 sessions a week. As a result I'm going to move my 4x1 mile to Friday and just have a couple of easy paced runs.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/302332469

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Haha so was I until last week, ''who is this randomer liking posts in my log all the time, weirdo''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha so was I until last week, ''who is this randomer liking posts in my log all the time, weirdo''

The penny dropped when I checked his post history. Gambling, horseracing and Athletics, who else could it be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

a lot of cross stalking going on here, clearly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I was extremely moany last year alright :D

Yep, just for a bit I thought Racoon Queen had changed her name ;):D Regarding the Terenure 5, I've checked the long range forecast and there'll be zero wind or a slight tailwind all the way around the route ;) Actually, the new route is much faster as it excludes the Whitehall Road now.

Good to see you back out running!

digger2d2 wrote: »

Good to see you back out running!
    and not in the bookies ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7592425

The old route was by far the best and it also never went up Whitehall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and not in the bookies ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7592425

The old route was by far the best and it also never went up Whitehall

:D

That's a good route alright but a ****e time ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :D

That's a good route alright but a ****e time ;)

It was at the start of another comeback (6 years) :eek:

I can remember last year doing a lot of slow easy runs, keeping the heart rate under 150 and it took a while before I started to enjoy them.
    It's been the same this time around as well but this mornings run was just super.
    5 miles at 10 minute pace, AHR 145

One other reason I enjoy the early morning runs is that I love waking the kids when I get back, bit of Elvis going on while I pull the quilts off them :D

Legs feel great so really looking forward to tomorrows 4x1 mile.

Second week of an 11 week 10k program. The idea behind this session was to find the pace that I plan on using next week for 6x1 mile, so I did the same as last week, stick to 180 MHR as best I can and don't worry about pace, recovery was how long my heart rate took to return to 120.
    There was a horrible wind and it made things feel far tougher than it should have.

1st mile - 6'58 (took a long time for the HR to reach 180
    rec 1'57
    2nd mile
    - 7'22
    rec 2'31
    3rd mile
    - 7'29
    rec 2'39
    4th mile - 7'30 (says 7'38 but I had to stop and take my sunglasses out of back pocket as I could hear my car key banging against it)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/303445117

Not too sure yet what pace I'll use for next weeks, maybe 7'20-7'30 would be best (I won't be running to HR but pace so I won't mind the HR going beyond 180) Definitely taking 3 mins of active recovery and hopefully the wind will have fceked off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good to see you back. This account changing has to stop though. Im bad enough with names as it is :)

Lets get a few runs in soon. On for a slow one v early tmrw? 6am ish? Im planning 5 miles.....

Good to see you back. This account changing has to stop though. Im bad enough with names as it is :)

Lets get a few runs in soon. On for a slow one v early tmrw? 6am ish? Im planning 5 miles.....

Very tempting but my easy will be down at about 10 min/mile pace, it would be far too slow for you (unless you want to walk fast beside me :D ). But I'd love to get a few in down the road for sure

10 miles at 160-163 HR, 9'12 pace

I stayed away from the hills today as I was feeling a bit tired, I've probably done a bit too much this week for my current level.
    Hated the first 2.5 miles as the wind was in my face, loved the next 5 and then hated the last 2.5 as the wind was back in my face. Plus I faded a lot but given that's my longest run this year it's to be expected.

• Advertisement

Exact same session today as last Tuesday.
    1 mile warm up
    10x230m with a 270m jog recovery.
    Pace was 53-55 for all apart from the last, 51.
    1 mile cool down
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/305658762

I wasn't actually going to do this session but my running buddy wants to make Tuesday a regular speed day so I'll just go with the flow and it'll suit next week with Mcmillans 10x400 but first 6x1 mile on Friday
    Can't wait.

Wednesday
    30 mins easy, AHR 144

Thursday
    5 miles easy this morning, aerobically I was fine but my legs were a little unresponsive, hopefully they'll be back to normal for tomorrow.

I decided to do this as part of my long run as I know I havn't been doing enough mileage to do both.

I wasn't feeling great during the warm up, felt a bit sluggish but I suppose I was only out of bed 10 minutes.
    The first rep was into a head wind and slightly uphill and I was surprised to see 7'17.
    Three minute jog recovery and it was time for rep 2, first bit of this was also into a headwind but I knew this would be the fastest rep as it's slightly downhill, 7:02.
    I was starting to feel very warm on rep 3 and I regretted wearing the long sleeved under armour but I was still ticking away at 7'20 pace when the garmin went with about 30 seconds of the rep remaining. I nearly used this as an excuse to bail on the session but quickly copped myself on.
    Rep 4 started running up Templeogue bridge and this had my legs knackered but I was still in control of my stride and breathing, 7'26.
    I really wanted to call it a day here as the fear of knowing the next two reps was uphill was getting the best of me,8:00 and ouch, I was all over the place on this one and as a result I had to walk the 3 minute recovery.
    The last rep started on a slight uphill but by this stage it felt like a mountain and after halfway I had to make a turn which would bring me straight into a headwind as I came on to Nutgrove avenue, 8'10.

Delighted to get the session done and it works out at about 6 miles for 45'17, 7'33 pace, AHR 182, max 191.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/307868641

Kids' running (very boring so feel free to tune out :D
    Friday was spent out in Santry and despite not getting home till about 10:30 pm it was a great evenings racing.
    My 7yr old suffers terribly from the butterflies (especially from the longer races) so I thought if I got her doing the sprints and the long jump it might calm her down. It nearly worked as she towed the line for the 500m but as I was chatting to Jcsmum (nice to meet you btw) she came over crying a river. I didn't want to force her and she did really well in the other two events and she was stepping up to u10s as well (no u9s in the leagues)

Emily on the other hand skipped the sprints as she wanted to concentrate on her 600m and it seemed to work as she set a PB of 2:09 (5'40sth mile pace). She finished 5th in the race and it was a pretty big field. My little cousin was 4th about 2/10s of a second ahead of Emily but watching the replay it looked like Emily could have gone by her but chose not to. I could be reading too much into it but it's about the 5th time this has happened. My cousin also set a PB but she suffered terribly at the end of the race as she paid the price for trying to go with the u11 superstar.

Monday
    A tad over 2 miles is all the body could manage around marlay and on grass.

Wednesday
    7.6 miles at 9'01 pace.
    Tried my best to stick to 160 AHR (80% of max) but it was tough at times with the wind and it was a hilly enough course as well. I really enjoyed the first 2 miles, felt like I had a nice bounce going on but that soon faded. Getting there.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/309522681

McMillan 10x400

I really enjoyed this, short and sweet. Plan was 8 reps but did 10. I was holding the pace for the same recovery so said why not.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/310093929
    Recovery was 1 minute between reps.

Terrible side wind during these, better than a headwind though. So I reckon there's a few more seconds there if I did it on a track.
    I'm running the parkrun on the 25th as part of the Mcmillan 10k program and today's session makes me think I could run 21sth but maybe that kind of talk will come back to bite me on the ass.

Really annoyed at myself for not running Fri/Sat/Sun. It was a busy weekend though but I did have opportunities. I was helping out with the Darkness into light run in the Phoenix park and then it was the juvenile league 3 and the lack of sleep got the better of me.

So this mornings run was about letting the frustration out, started the 1st mile at 8'45 and got quicker with each one after that and finishing with 7'34.
    6 miles in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If you fancy meeting up for a few slow runs let me know, will make sure you get out the door and dont get lazy ;).
    Do you ever train with the groups down at the club or all the time taken with training the kids?

shels4ever wrote: »
    If you fancy meeting up for a few slow runs let me know, will make sure you get out the door and dont get lazy ;).
    Do you ever train with the groups down at the club or all the time taken with training the kids?

Tue/Thurs training times clash alright but with marathon training kicking off soon I'll be hoping to do my long runs with the club.
    Once the kids' racing schedule dies down a bit I'd love to meet up for a few runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

shels4ever wrote: »

Same here D, I don't have a particular running schedule, but I prefer early mornings when not training at the club. Send me a message if you would like the company.

• Advertisement

Met a friend in marlay with the intention of doing the 230m on 270m recovery but he was wrecked after marlay parkrun and I wasn't feeling too great either.
    I have cellulitus again, but this time on my face. I reckon a combination of anti-biotics and running too quick yesterday has caused the tiredness.
    I hope to God I don't have another summer of cellulitus.

One thing I did enjoy about the run though was wearing a singlet for the first time this year but I did have to spray all exposed body parts before leaving the house.
    Anyway 3.7 miles at 9'08 pace

Advertisement