Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Just after my last post I got cellulitus again, the last two years have been a right pain, I'm close to double figures now for the amount of times I've had it. The good news is I havn't had it since September, so fingers crossed.

I've being doing a lot of weight work as well. Initially it was to learn the different exercises for each muscle group as it's part of a course I'm doing but it turns out when done right, weight training can be enjoyable.

I havn't done a lot of running over the last few months and this is just my 3rd week back with some consistency and at the moment I'm following Hadd as all I want to do right now is easy running and it did work well the last time.

Monday - 6 miles at 150 average
    Tuesday - 80 minutes of weight training followed by indoor footy
    Wednesday - 5 miles at snail pace, very stiff from the footy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'd better drop the indoor footy and work harder on the running, or those girls will be leaving you for dead in training :)

Thursday - 80 mins of weight training followed by a 20 minute run
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 30 minute run followed by 80 mins of weight training

Hitting the pub tonight and will leave the car there which will force me out for a run in the morning.
    RayCun wrote: »
    You'd better drop the indoor footy and work harder on the running, or those girls will be leaving you for dead in training smile.png
    Too late. I used to be at the standard of our U13 girls but now the U11 girls would kick my ass and they know it.

Sunday - 3 mile run to get the car in a blizzard
    Monday - 35 minute easy run
    Tuesday - weights session followed by 30 minute run
    Wednesday - xmas goal mile with the kids

Just under an hour of running in the wind. Didn't really enjoy it although got to listen to the Pfitzinger interview. For the first 10 mins I felt like I needed to puke up the tin of roses I ate, not good.
    Met TBB out there, knew it was him from a good half mile away with that John Wayne type swagger/stride he's got :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Good to see you back running. Easy miles will build you up again.

Cheers G, great to see you flying as well and a little jealous of your runs in Courttown, just beautiful, lived there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Met TBB out there, knew it was him from a good half mile away with that John Wayne type swagger/stride he's got :D

Good to see you out again D. Kind of you to say john wayne instead of quasimodo :)

5 miles done in marlay this morning. Met a load of people so stopped to chat a few times which was nice but had me cold and stiff each time I started running again. Also met TBB again but this time he blanked me, we'll blame the ear phones and the low sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

5 miles done in marlay this morning. Met a load of people so stopped to chat a few times which was nice but had me cold and stiff each time I started running again. Also met TBB again but this time he blanked me, we'll blame the ear phones and the low sun :D

Weird. Werent too many out so odd that I didnt notice. Were you in a big group? Even if I had of, im like larry david, I dont stop'n'chat :).

lovely morning for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Weird. Werent too many out so odd that I didnt notice. Were you in a big group? Even if I had of, im like larry david, I dont stop'n'chat :).

lovely morning for it!

He gave me a wave outside Woodfield ;)

lovely morning for it!

I had stopped to chat between car park and main house. Was lovely up there, need to start bringing the camera.

Sunday pm - weights
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - weights followed by a 2 mile run

The last run of the year and it felt great, it was only a quick run around the block. First goal of the year is sub 20 5k in march, hopefully this will have me nice and strong for an 800m come May/June. Not going to over think it, just do it.
    Happy new year everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What sort of weights are you doing?

Are you doing hill sessions at the moment given it is winter? Mileage is good but you need the winter sessions also if you are targeting 800m.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What sort of weights are you doing?

Are you doing hill sessions at the moment given it is winter? Mileage is good but you need the winter sessions also if you are targeting 800m.

I have free weights in the house and have been doing the following 3 times a week - Tue/Thu/Sat is what I'm aiming for.

Bench press
    Squat
    Dead lift
    Back press
    Dumbell row
    Bi cep curls
    360 sit ups, plank and side planks.

I havn't lost any weight in the last 5 weeks but I can see a huge difference in my shape for the better.

I havn't done any sessions yet, it was all about just ticking over till the new year. Hill work will be a must. For the juveniles and their track races we had them doing a lot of hill sprints, 40-100m for the younger and 60- 250m for the older kids and I could see the difference in those that consistently turned up for those sessions, they were stronger and most if not all improved their finishing kick.
    I'd love to have your input over the next few months so feel free to advise.

I have free weights in the house and have been doing the following 3 times a week - Tue/Thu/Sat is what I'm aiming for.

Bench press
    Squat
    Dead lift
    Back press
    Dumbell row
    Bi cep curls
    360 sit ups, plank and side planks.

I havn't lost any weight in the last 5 weeks but I can see a huge difference in my shape for the better.

I havn't done any sessions yet, it was all about just ticking over till the new year. Hill work will be a must. For the juveniles and their track races we had them doing a lot of hill sprints, 40-100m for the younger and 60- 250m for the older kids and I could see the difference in those that consistently turned up for those sessions, they were stronger and most if not all improved their finishing kick.
    I'd love to have your input over the next few months so feel free to advise.

This winter I did a lot of hill sessions with the 800m guys. The typical session they would do was 8 x 300m with jog back recovery. Sometimes I would do 4 x 300m with a walk back recovery, doing every second one of their reps, but doing them much harder, with the intention of being ahead of them in each of my 4 reps.

My training group here are gone to Athlone this weekend so will be training alone. If you're interested in doing a hill session let me know.

Chivito550 wrote: »

My training group here are gone to Athlone this weekend so will be training alone. If you're interested in doing a hill session let me know.

I'd love to, I'm free Monday-Friday from 9:10-11:00 if that suits, preferably marlay or close by. It'll be good to get out of my comfort zone, just remember I'm only back a few weeks :D

3 miles around St Endas park, loads of puddles to spash in.
    Heading to an Elvis impersonator later and will leave the car there which will force me out in the morning.
    Just stood on the scales and I've actually put on 3 pounds, I'm hoping it's a case of muscle weighing more as I think I look healthier than I did. My running hasn't really taken off yet despite getting out a lot. So time for an organised approach based on fun, if that's possible.

I'd love to, I'm free Monday-Friday from 9:10-11:00 if that suits, preferably marlay or close by. It'll be good to get out of my comfort zone, just remember I'm only back a few weeks :D

How does this Friday morning sound around 10? I live near Marlay but there's a better hill in one of the housing estates nearby.

3 miles late last night in the wind and rain and a little over 2 tonight on the treadmill.
    I'm not concerned about mileage at the moment as I'm very busy but I'm trying a lot to re-establish the habit so am going to force myself out most days and hopefully distance will follow.

I've set a few goals for the year
    Run alot
    Race more
    sub 20 5k

Would like to see where I'm at fitness-wise so I'm going to try and find a 5k for late January but it won't be a parkrun as a few of the kids from the club and other kids I know have been running them and it won't do my confidence any good to be beaten by 10 and 11 year old girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you could do one of the other parkruns? duck out before the chute so your time isn't recorded if you're really paranoid :pac:

Saturday - weights followed by 2 miles on the treadmill
    Sunday - ran 4.5 miles with a heavy backpack into my course and the 3 miles home from it (got a lift to Harolds X as I was wrecked).

Having ran 6 days in a row (not great mileage though), I decided to take a rest day yesterday and be fresh for my first session back.
    Met Chivito at Marlay and the plan was 6x250m fast uphill with a walk/jog recovery.
    First one was too fast 53 seconds and already I was thinking no way I'm doing all 6, next one slower in 58, then 62,62,66,63. Delighted to complete all 6. These were all in to a headwind but the 5th one was by far the windiest.
    I'm really happy to have finished the session and look forward to the next one. Motivation and enthusiasm are really high and now I got to concentrate on keeping it high and not over doing it.
    Great meeting Chivito and have picked up a few new drills for the kids as well.

Good work this morning and nice meeting you. Keep incorporating those type of sessions into your weekly routine. Very important in order to get 800m fit (not 10k fit), which is what the goal should be. I reckon 2-3 solid sessions per week to go along with your mileage and gym work throughout the winter will see the fitness levels soar. Obviously ease very gently into it though. Maybe 1 session a week for the first couple of weeks, then up it to 2, and when comfortable at 2 then go up to 3.

A good one for you to do would be 8 x 300m hills with jog back recovery. The recoveries should only be around 2:30ish. Objective would be to try get all 8 splits as even as possible. If you can find a training group to do such sessions with it will obviously be far more beneficial than doing them solo.

I went indoor footy last night which had me very stiff today so just a very gentle 25 minutes in the rain followed by plenty of stretching. I've really noticed a difference in my flexibility as a result.
    Having had a chat with Chivito yesterday I think I'm going to try and aim for about 30 miles a week and no more and see how I get on.
    Hopefully the week will look sth like below and I'll start that maybe on Sunday with a long run.

Mon - rest
    Tue - 5 miles easy/weights
    Wed - session, 4 miles
    Thu - 3 mile easy/weights
    Fri - 5 miles with strides
    Sat - 3 miles easy/weights
    Sun - 10 miles

Also, I find I eat better if I get my run in early, so going to try and get back in the habit starting tomorrow, I hope.

I managed to get out early this morning for a lovely 5 miles with a few strides at the end. I was freezing after though and had a quick shower and back into bed with the electric blanket on for an hour.

Having got up early yesterday and getting the run done my energy began to fade at lunch time and this was really the only chance I'd get to do my weights. I got a text while debating whether or not to do them saying they'd pick my kids up from school, a sign, so I got on with it.

Couldn't get up this morning for my run, went to bed about an hour later than the previous night, so probably the cause.

Finally got out at 7pm for 3 miles and enjoyed every step.

Saturday - weights followed by a 20 minute run
    Sunday - 6.5 miles at 8'45 pace

First 2.5 miles were into a strong head wind but I felt great, the next 2 I had the wind at my back and was ticking over nicely but then I needed a toilet asap so straight to my sisters house who was only home that afternoon having had a baby a few days ago, so an excuse to see the baby.
    I came outof her house cold and stiff so instead of plodding on for 8 I headed home.

Another good weeks training and on top of that I've had a good week diet wise.

Out at 6 this morning, paths a little slippy but had them to myself.
    5 miles in total which included 9x100m strides throughout

• Advertisement

Weights session followed by 5k at 8'20 pace, middle mile was 7'50 which is the fastest mile I've done during this latest comeback and it felt very comfortable.

Advertisement