Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boss kept staff xmas presents for herself

• 23-12-2016 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭

My wife works in a creche. She enjoys working with the kids

Basically the boss/owner treats the staff like crap.
    The staff do all the work.
    Go to courses on their own time.
    Prepare plans, resources etc in their own time.
    They are paid almost minimum wage, unpaid holidays, crappy buildings, no photocopier

Anyway the parents of toddlers, preschoolers and after-schoolers dropped in a load of presents to the office in the last week for the STAFF who look after all the kids - wine, chocolates, biscuits, toiletry sets and the usual crappy 'teacher' presents.

The boss and her daughter went through all the presents and brought all the decent stuff home with her.
    She left the stuff that had the girls' names and cards sellotaped to them.

I've NEVER heard of someone being so mean and stingy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No photocopier? What a CVNT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This belongs here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136862

That's well out of order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    My wife works in a creche. She enjoys working with the kids

Basically the boss/owner treats the staff like crap.
    The staff do all the work.
    Go to courses on their own time.
    Prepare plans, resources etc in their own time.
    They are paid almost minimum wage, unpaid holidays, crappy buildings, no photocopier

Anyway the parents of toddlers, preschoolers and after-schoolers dropped in a load of presents to the office in the last week for the STAFF who look after all the kids - wine, chocolates, biscuits, toiletry sets and the usual crappy 'teacher' presents.

The boss and her daughter went through all the presents and brought all the decent stuff home with her.
    She left the stuff that had the girls' names and cards sellotaped to them.

I've NEVER heard of someone being so mean and stingy

Biffo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The staff should let the parents know. If they don't feel that their in a position to take a stand collectively, at least least the parents know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

She'll just get fat from all the chocolates and biscuits and make great use of the toiletry sets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sam Kade wrote: »
    She'll just get fat from all the chocolates and biscuits and make great use of the toiletry sets.

I'd bet she regifts most of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

is your wife not looking for another job already...sounds like a craphole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Horrible bitch. Definitely let the parents know.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    No photocopier? What a CVNT!

It's hard to hand draw 22 worksheets for every activity in the preschool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Maybe she was donating them to a local charity to stop the greedy teachers claiming presents that didn't have their names on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'd bet she regifts most of it

More than likely, the best cure for her would be a present of chocolates laced with laxatives :)

Maybe she was donating them to a local charity to stop the greedy teachers claiming presents that didn't have their names on them?

Donated wine and chocolates to a charity?

They're creche workers. €10 an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

for the love of god do not tell the parents that would be defamation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

By stealth obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

She's a bit of a Kunut but not seeing much legally wrong here. The parents may well be gifting the business owner and, without names on the presents, any other distribution would be fraught with problems. She couldn't allow a free for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A tenner an hour?

In my day Grannies were the creche workers and they were lucky to get the price of a bingo book for their services

And damn glad of it they were too.

It's far from photocopiers and bottles of Jean Luc whatever you call him with our names sellotaped on him we were reared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

That's pretty miserable and not at all the way to motivate and retain good staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

She did leave the gifts that had the staff names to the people they were gifted to, she is the one who own the business, pay high insurance, electricity, rent of premises, products to take care of the children, and follow health and safety guidlines, accountant, Did she gift the staff with extra wages for Christmas or a gift of chocolate,

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

goat2 wrote: »
    She did leave the gifts that had the staff names to the people they were gifted to, she is the one who own the business, pay high insurance, electricity, rent of premises, products to take care of the children, and follow health and safety guidlines, accountant, Did she gift the staff with extra wages for Christmas or a gift of chocolate,

Do the esb accept wine and chocolates instead of money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You are being deliberately obtuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So are you.

I did think that child carers were paid far better than that, as ye have to have qualifications to do this very responsible job, is there a standard payment

She makes enough money, owns the premises. Husband is the accountant
    Big car, few foreign holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of course she pays them, she has to, they've earned that money, it's not altruism on her part.

I think taking something clearly intended for another person is skanky as fcuk. As a parent I'd be so angry that something i bought to give to a particular person was taken by someone else.

I did think that child carers were paid far better than that, as ye have to have qualifications to do this very responsible job, is there a standard payment

Almost minimum wage is standard in the sector
    Private sector profiteering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Whatever about the boxes of chocolates, the staff seriously need to address the lack of paid holidays. They are entitled to them. Do they even get a wage slip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

By stealth obviously

It's not defamation if it's the truth. Tell away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

An actionable defamatory statement has three ingredients:
    • it must be published,
    • it must refer to the complainant and
    • it must be false.
    In any case, just make clear that the staff did not get the goodies.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the boxes of chocolates, the staff seriously need to address the lack of paid holidays. They are entitled to them. Do they even get a wage slip?

The free preschool staff now go on the dole during holidays

Last year she didn't pay them for three days of holiday pay over Christmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

On what planet is that defamation? Its fair comment and more importantly, TRUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I hope she gets cancer for christmas. I can't stand that sort of vile person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Steals a few chocolates, gets cancer, seems fair. :/

An actionable defamatory statement has three ingredients:
    • it must be published,
    • it must refer to the complainant and
    • it must be false.
    In any case, just make clear that the staff did not get the goodies.
    Where did you find that list? :confused:

Section 6(2) – The tort of defamation consists of the publication, by any means, of a

defamatory statement concerning a person to one or more than one person (other than the

first mentioned person)

Section 2 – “defamatory statement” means a statement that tends to injure a person’s

reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society

Section 2 – “Statement” includes:-

a) A statement made orally or in writing

b) Visual images, sounds, gestures and any other method of signifying meaning,

c) A statement-

i. Broadcast on the radio or television, or

ii. Published on the internet, and

d) An electronic communication.

It is assumed false, so if the person causing the defamation was to choose the 'truth' defence they would have to prove the business owner stole the gifts.

If I found out that someone was allegedly stealing gifts it would lower their reputation in my eyes.

If the owner could find a parent who had heard the news (I'm absolutely certain they would obviously have at least one friend with a child using the creche) it would literally be an open and shut case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Has the crèche a Facebook page? AHers could leave a few comments on it to let them know that their mean spirited antics are known. I would have no problem leaving a message for them.

d e f a m a t i o n

Don't. do. it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Your wife 100% needs a new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Has the crèche a Facebook page? AHers could leave a few comments on it to let them know that their mean spirited antics are known. I would have no problem leaving a message for them.

Mod: No, none of the brigading discussion please.

Your wife 100% needs a new job.

True. She knows that.

But creches bosses talk. Especially in a smaller town
    If she leaves one place on a sour note what are chances of getting another job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

A tenner an hour?

In my day Grannies were the creche workers and they were lucky to get the price of a bingo book for their services

And damn glad of it they were too.

It's far from photocopiers and bottles of Jean Luc whatever you call him with our names sellotaped on him we were reared.

Times change.

givyjoe wrote: »
    On what planet is that defamation? Its fair comment and more importantly, TRUE.

it's literally the definition of defamation, it's not a fair 'comment' and more importantly try prove its TRUE in COURT

If you have no idea how defamation works, keep your self out of trouble and absolutely do not recommend someone get themselves in serious trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

??

I, in time, will tell this woman what we think of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The free preschool staff now go on the dole during holidays

Last year she didn't pay them for three days of holiday pay over Christmas break.

do they get their statutory hollidays? if they are working 30 odd weeks a year they are entitled to about 12 or 13days a year
    you cant expect to be paid all the school holidays as a childminder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Does the boss drink tea or coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

arsehole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Tedious devil's advocate position.

She makes enough money, owns the premises. Husband is the accountant
    Big car, few foreign holidays.
    if she or any one of her familly are on this boards, this description could lead them to know who is being discussed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

She's a bit of a Kunut but not seeing much legally wrong here. The parents may well be gifting the business owner and, without names on the presents, any other distribution would be fraught with problems. She couldn't allow a free for all.

In my mother's workplace, they put names in a hat to decide how the presents were shared. Everyone got something. Nothing fraught about it at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement