Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City & County Council Clerical Officer Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭nikkisclearout

Wonder how they work it out.
    Verbal 38
    Numerical 23
    Clerical 23

Im placed 73 in Tipp

This whole thing is making no sense at all

Got in under 90 for Tipperary so I'm expecting an interview.

Was ranked 110 overall and ranked just below 60 for Tipperary (the only county I applied for)

Verbal Comprehension 36 (Pass Mark 27)
    Numerical Reasoning 21 (Pass Mark 13)
    Clerical Checking 25 (Pass Mark 20)

I placed 109 in Tipp and got
    Verbal 38
    Numerical 17
    Clerical 25

I know the numerical let me down but there's a big gap between us for the sake of the 4 point difference in the maths and i scored 2 more in the verbal.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

I placed 109 in Tipp and got
    Verbal 38
    Numerical 17
    Clerical 25

I know the numerical let me down but there's a big gap between us for the sake of the 4 point difference in the maths.

I was thinking the same thing for 2 points in Clerical especially since I did so well in the other two. Actually got 100% of what I answered for numerical and clerical correct. Maybe they take into account how far you got through the answers even if wrong as well as correct answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What happens the numerous candidates who scored 90??
    I only applied for Tipperary and my pool was 350 and I scored just slightly above 150 so no realistic chance of being called but sorry to be so stupid, but how do they get their 'pools'? Does this mean that only 350 passed in the whole of Tipperary. How many didn't rank I wonder.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

This is a screen shot of my results
    So how are top 90 through if multiple ppl are given same ranking

• Advertisement

The pass rate for Clerical Checking seems mental at 20 as a lot of people wouldn't have even reached 20, never mind get 20 correct :mad:

jewels0606 wrote: »

Well done!!
    I can't answer your query though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

The pass rate for Clerical Checking seems mental at 20 as a lot of people wouldn't have even reached 20, never mind get 20 correct :mad:

I think they obviously feel that it is important and thats why the mark was so high. Also just personally while I didnt get them all answered I did take my time enough that nearly all the ones I did get done were right. 20 is only half of the total amount there so I think it is pretty reasonable to assume that some people will get that far.

The tests are marked to cut down the numbers so why have a low pass mark and be kept in limbo.THis way people know they are out or not.

jewels0606 wrote: »

How do you mean? have you got the same ranking as someone else too?

How do you mean? have you got the same ranking as someone else too?

I don't know but if you read previous posts other people have the same rankings
    Doesn't make sense
    I posted a screenshot of mine to see if others had same placement as myself

• Advertisement

sorry i get you now. ya im one of the ones with the same ranking as another person. good idea putting up the scores we all got as it might show the same issue for other people. very disheartening to see it and also the difference in peoples positions on the panel when they scored higher in the tests than some people who ranked higher.
    not taking away from anyone who got called in the top 90 at all so please don't anyone think that! it just the scoring and the placement does not seem very transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Anybody know when interviews will be taking place? Scored in the top 10 for all 3 areas so am sure I will be one of the first to be interviewed. Anyone have any info on when the next stage will be happening? Currently on maternity leave from my current job so just want to have a rough idea of when appointments will be made (if I am lucky enough to get thru the next stage).

sorry i get you now. ya im one of the ones with the same ranking as another person. good idea putting up the scores we all got as it might show the same issue for other people. very disheartening to see it and also the difference in peoples positions on the panel when they scored higher in the tests than some people who ranked higher.
    not taking away from anyone who got called in the top 90 at all so please don't anyone think that! it just the scoring and the placement does not seem very transparent.

I agree
    No offense taken
    Hence posting my results 😊

orlyice wrote: »
    Anybody know when interviews will be taking place? Scored in the top 10 for all 3 areas so am sure I will be one of the first to be interviewed. Anyone have any info on when the next stage will be happening? Currently on maternity leave from my current job so just want to have a rough idea of when appointments will be made (if I am lucky enough to get thru the next stage).

Don't think it goes like that. For equality purposes I'd presume everyone is on equal footing in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Don't think it goes like that. For equality purposes I'd presume everyone is on equal footing in interviews.

Well I'm assuming that you will be ranked on a combination of test score and interview score and given a number and they work thru the list as vacancies arise. That was the procedure for any civil service roll I have applied for. Perhaps its different for the council?

Eitherways I am in the top 90 so if anyone knows roughly when interviews are going to be held that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

haha i knew it would be me :):) that's mad i wonder why that is? did you apply for all three regions or just tipp?

what di you get in your "overall candidate pool" i got 219?

Just to add to the confusion I'm 109 for Tipp too with overall score of 219 like yourselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lauras5839

Tipp 109 is best Tipp!!

Haha it's no mistake then, must just be top 90 that are unique :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Of course it's possible to be ranked the same number as someone else. It's a test .... very possible to get the same result. You need to look up how psychometric tests are scored to understand. EG: The top 90 could be 92 because 89, 90, 91 and 92 have the same result so all that group would be called for interview. It's fairly straight forward.

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Of course it's possible to be ranked the same number as someone else. It's a test .... very possible to get the same result. You need to look up how psychometric tests are scored to understand. EG: The top 90 could be 92 because 89, 90, 91 and 92 have the same result so all that group would be called for interview. It's fairly straight forward.

From their correspondence: "In accordance with the procedure set out in the briefing document for the position of Clerical Officer, it was agreed that the top 90 candidates for each Local Authority will be invited for interview."

This was also said in the day of testing. Not unreasonable to assume that those top ninety would be rank 1 - 90 in order of merit. If there are more than 90 people in that ranking range as you put forward then it contradicts what they laid out as what would happen in terms of how many were to be offered interviews.

So I wouldn't call it "straight forward" as you put it as their system has confused more than one person here.

Lauras5839 wrote: »
    From their correspondence: "In accordance with the procedure set out in the briefing document for the position of Clerical Officer, it was agreed that the top 90 candidates for each Local Authority will be invited for interview."

This was also said in the day of testing. Not unreasonable to assume that those top ninety would be rank 1 - 90 in order of merit. If there are more than 90 people in that ranking range as you put forward then it contradicts what they laid out as what would happen in terms of how many were to be offered interviews.

So I wouldn't call it "straight forward" as you put it as their system has confused more than one person here.

I'm confused too!! I obviously get that some people would have same score but say for argument sake twenty people scored 90?

• Advertisement

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Assumed it was like in golf. So could be 30 people ranked 6 and next rank is =37

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

Whilst people should be congratulated on passing the aptitude test there is another argument put forward by Clerical Officers already in the job. They can't understand how people who are exceptional at doing their jobs are required to leave after their temporary contract is finished. They think they should get an interview before their contract is completed. I am in customer services and you soon realise passing aptitude tests means nothing. You have to diplomatic,think on your feet,deal with people who are emotionally upset, have immense patience and be assertive. No aptitude test in the world can predict who will be capable of doing what is required. Customer services is the public face of any organisation and therefore it is EQ that should be measured not IQ.

Well you go into a temporary contract knowing what you're signing up for. You can't be surprised at the end of it when it finishes, if you don't like temp work don't do it. If you have issue with the way they're handled take it up with whom ever it is that's doing the employing.

Also aptitude tests are not the only measure the council take of their candidates just the preliminary one and as many of those people you're talking about would have themselves sat one during their application process to get the jobs they're in it puts some holes in their criticism.

Laura the TCO knows this when they sign up for the contract. I need to point out to you they are not the ones moaning about it. It is their collegues and managers who give our because they now have to train in another couple of people who as I stated could be great on paper and just not capable of working in a customer focused environment. I speak as one of those collegues who see exceptional been let go. Our argument is that they should at least be given an interview. Also incase you don't realise they have already passed an aptitude test and been interviewed. We speak from experience and not because of malice. They have already proved themselves. In any other job they would be kept on because from a purely business sense it makes sense.

Again then the complaint should be taken up with higher management. If you are unhappy voicing your opinion into the void here does no good what so ever. Take it up with those who can affect change because that would seem a far better use of time and effort.

Yes people may look good on paper and not in practice which I assume is what the probationary period is for and those who don't perform will presumably be let go.

Putting your opinion here seems pointless cause we're all just folks looking to get a foot into a full time position as was everyone you're talking about at one time. Your problem seems to lie with the establishment and the way they do things so bring your impassioned argument to them.

Laura you are taking this argument personally. I am expressing an opinion that is asking questions about the recruitment process. What I do find strange Laura is that whilst it may not be possible to do anything about it, you do not appear to think that the way people are put on panels is a fair way to do things. I don't understand why you are refusing to acknowledge that point. Maybe it is because you will be benefitting from this unfair process. Would be interesting to see if you do have an opinion rather than spoting the same rhetoric.

When do those who have successfully passed the test submit their CVs? In other words are people called to interview solely based on the aptitude test despite/in spite of what's/what's not on their CV.

From what they said it's just based on position, being top ninety for the region. I guess they'll provide more information when you're called regarding what they expect?

Lauras5839 wrote: »
    From what they said it's just based on position, being top ninety for the region. I guess they'll provide more information when you're called regarding what they expect?

I'm just wondering (and again as someone else said here not to take away from anyone who passed aptitude) if those who passed are guaranteed an interview even though say for argument sake they may potentially have no clerical experience or used IT packages.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering (and again as someone else said here not to take away from anyone who passed aptitude) if those who passed are guaranteed an interview even though say for argument sake they may potentially have no clerical experience or used IT packages.

That was the deal. Experience is not necessarily everything. Especially when it's somewhere as diverse as a CoCo. For all you know you could be placed in Arts and Heritage and work as a tour guide or you could be placed on desk for council house complaints.

Advertisement