Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City & County Council Clerical Officer Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

Meant to say for everyone wondering outside the top 90 for Tipp, it ended up with 101 people who qualified so one on 102,and all the 103's you're all next to be called if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

They're going to have great fun with my final year exams. One subject was simply called Ireland and Wales, another The Mabonigi. What they make of it god only knows. Now on page 3 of previous jobs. Just emailing cv would have been easier

great fun altogether but at least you know it will be a talking point in the interview :)

regarding knowing the local council stuff for the interview
    how much do you think we need to know exactly?

jewels0606 wrote: »
    great fun altogether but at least you know it will be a talking point in the interview :)

regarding knowing the local council stuff for the interview
    how much do you think we need to know exactly?

From what I read thats if you get through first round of interviews and get called back for second round.
    In Tipp it mainly seems to be issues with roads at the minute and lough derg tourism initiatives. Id suggest reading the guardian after coco meetings as they tell you what happened.

Arts and heritage based in clonmel at the minute. Main towns all have car tax office. Water and housing in nenagh. Really confusing in Tipperary as two councils became one and still all a bit up in the air. Also it goes from newport-ballina-lorrha-roscrea-thurles-cashel-clonmel-carrick on suir so a huge area to cover.

Check out their website too and they have all the latest press releases on the right hand side.

From what I read thats if you get through first round of interviews and get called back for second round.
    In Tipp it mainly seems to be issues with roads at the minute and lough derg tourism initiatives. Id suggest reading the guardian after coco meetings as they tell you what happened.

Arts and heritage based in clonmel at the minute. Main towns all have car tax office. Water and housing in nenagh. Really confusing in Tipperary as two councils became one and still all a bit up in the air. Also it goes from newport-ballina-lorrha-roscrea-thurles-cashel-clonmel-carrick on suir so a huge area to cover.

Check out their website too and they have all the latest press releases on the right hand side.

I put myself in for all 3 councils so I haven't read on any of them at the minute incase I get mixed up so my plan is to research each 1 before each interview if I get through from the application we just filled out
    I dread it!!!! I have interviews as I freeze!!!!
    but maybe I should start 3 folders and print and read as much as I can everyday and reread almost learning if off from repetition......oh what joy :rolleyes:

I put myself in for all 3 councils so I haven't read on any of them at the minute incase I get mixed up so my plan is to research each 1 before each interview if I get through from the application we just filled out
    I dread it!!!! I have interviews as I freeze!!!!
    but maybe I should start 3 folders and print and read as much as I can everyday and reread almost learning if off from repetition......oh what joy :rolleyes:

They're not that bad. Oh and sorry arts in nenagh, heritage in clonmel.
    Panel interview normally which almost makes it easier as you don't feel as bad at maintaining eye contact.

• Advertisement

just got a date for the short listing interview for Limerick CO for next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Limerick and tipp. I have a job offer but no date as had to be revetted. Lots below me have start dates for this month in revenue
    Can I row in here with some advice. Am working in a Local Authority for a considerable number of years. I chose the LA over the Civil Service just because it was so near home and if I had chosen CS, it meant taking a post in Dublin which I did not fancy at the time. For anyone here lucky enough to get selected for both LA and CS, I would urge you to take CS where promotion opportunities are greater and the prospect of advancing up the career ladder is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

august12 wrote: »
    Can I row in here with some advice. Am working in a Local Authority for a considerable number of years. I chose the LA over the Civil Service just because it was so near home and if I had chosen CS, it meant taking a post in Dublin which I did not fancy at the time. For anyone here lucky enough to get selected for both LA and CS, I would urge you to take CS where promotion opportunities are greater and the prospect of advancing up the career ladder is easier.

I actually did pick CS and chose not to continue with CC process. I started the week just gone :-)

I actually did pick CS and chose not to continue with CC process. I started the week just gone :-)
    A very wise decision, best of luck to you. It's good to see recruitment given the age profile in Local Government/Civil Service at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Hi - can anyone give me some advice please
    I haven't been to an interview in over 11 years - went into Dunne's at weekend to buy a suit for the interview & got the shock of my life when I found they don't sell suits anymore.

What do people wear to interviews these days - I am so out of touch

• Advertisement

Bannergal wrote: »
    I haven't been to an interview in over 11 years - went into Dunne's at weekend to buy a suit for the interview & got the shock of my life when I found they don't sell suits anymore.

A jacket, trousers and shirt or smart top. Does not have to be suit, just as long as you look neat and tidy and made an effort.

What do people wear to interviews these days - I am so out of touch[/quote

I had same problem plus I'm in slimming world at the min to lose weight
    I bought a navy jacket with silver zips on slieve, navy trousers and a lovely sleeveless cream top, cream shoes all in Dunne's
    Looked lovely with a light scarf
    I'm a casual or smart casual person so I struggled with the formal
    I went to every single shop I could before I settled on that

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭barryos1505

Penneys sell suits and shirts and they are a decent fit.

Anyone hear about interviews from Clare Co Co?

Anyone hear about interviews from Clare Co Co?

no they did say it would probably be 14-16th of March roughly
    They don't give you much time to book the hours off work do they!

no they did say it would probably be 14-16th of March roughly
    They don't give you much time to book the hours off work do they!

It's a joke isn't it. Getting time off isn't easy especially last minute. I thought they would give a weeks notice which would have Been yesterday.

It's a joke isn't it. Getting time off isn't easy especially last minute. I thought they would give a weeks notice which would have Been yesterday.

I know I have to submit time off by Tuesday the previous week we're now at Thurs and no sign and unless by some miracle it lands on time Im off..... I dont know if Ill be able to make it
    I work in a bookies and its Cheltenham next week!

I know I have to submit time off by Tuesday the previous week we're now at Thurs and no sign and unless by some miracle it lands on time Im off..... I dont know if Ill be able to make it
    I work in a bookies and its Cheltenham next week!

I've my phone nearly broke today from checking it all day for an email. I can't believe If it's not sent out today that they are giving people less than a weeks notice

I've my phone nearly broke today from checking it all day for an email. I can't believe If it's not sent out today that they are giving people less than a weeks notice

Its disgraceful and unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jurate

Hi. Anyone had an interview yet? How did that go? Any tips? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Its disgraceful and unfair!

Letters have been posted rather than emails sent

jurate wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone had an interview yet? How did that go? Any tips? Thanks!
    Look up the council website, know how many councillors, the number of municipal districts, powers the councillors have I.e. they have powers to enact policy through their reserved functions, be able to name a few e.g. adopting the annual budget, making, amending bylaws, litter fines, parking fines, speed limits within their county, adopting all the local plans e.g. county development plan, corporate plan etc. Also know the chief executive has powers through his executive functions e.g . granting/refusing planning, appointment of staff. Also.know skills required for clerical officer job, have answers for knowledge of word, excel, PowerPoint and give examples for these. Also check publications.ie and they have a section on the skills required for clerical officer. Go through this as most likely you will be asked.

Look up the council website, know how many councillors, the number of municipal districts, powers the councillors have I.e. they have powers to enact policy through their reserved functions, be able to name a few e.g. adopting the annual budget, making, amending bylaws, litter fines, parking fines, speed limits within their county, adopting all the local plans e.g. county development plan, corporate plan etc. Also know the chief executive has powers through his executive functions e.g . granting/refusing planning, appointment of staff. Also.know skills required for clerical officer job, have answers for knowledge of word, excel, PowerPoint and give examples for these. Also check publications.ie and they have a section on the skills required for clerical officer. Go through this as most likely you will be asked.
    sorry, that should read publicjobs.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

From the information we have received on the scoring for the interviews, this will not be asked in the shortlisting interview. The scoring is based on a persons relevant IT experience, experience in an adminstrative role, customer service and suitability (communication skills etc). that is all that is relevant on the first stage of interviews.

Letters have been posted rather than emails sent

Yeah I got it yesterday and luckily enough I'm off the day of the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭redmarie

Any news on tipp council?

redmarie wrote: »

Nope not yet
    Just checked my emails and nothing in the post today

Not sure if they got as many responses as they wanted. I decided not to go further with application and they rang me on Monday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭redmarie

Not sure if they got as many responses as they wanted. I decided not to go further with application and they rang me on Monday evening

What did they say!?

• Advertisement

What did they say!?

I didn't answer cos I was at work. They left a voicemail asking me to call them back as soon as possible but I didn't bother as I have decided to stick with my current role

Advertisement