Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City & County Council Clerical Officer Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jurate

So I had my shortlisting interview on thursday. They did ask about councillors, social houses, roads. As well as team work, IT knowledge, customer service. I thought it might be helpful for those who will have theyr interviews next week😉

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishEyes147

Was this for Limerick? How many people interviewed you? I'm surprised they asked about the councillors and everything when they said it wasn't asked in the short listing interview.

How did you feel it went over all? Asked anything tough?

Limerick. Two. I don't think they will invite me for the final interview because I wasn't ready to answer all these questions. I didn't expect it.
    They said they will contact me 7-10 days. Anyway fingers crossed :)))

Oh you never know how you did, you prob weren't the only one not expecting those questions! Best of luck anyway ;)

I've a shortlisting interview next week for the Clare region, quite nervous about it, i haven't a lot of interview experience behind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

Oh you never know how you did, you prob weren't the only one not expecting those questions! Best of luck anyway ;)

I've a shortlisting interview next week for the Clare region, quite nervous about it, i haven't a lot of interview experience behind me!
    I have one too
    I did the limerick one last week and it basically consisted of a ten minute run through of my application and my experience from leaving school to present day with a curve ball question about the different offices in the council
    (That was meant to be in the final interview if you get through short listing one)

• Advertisement

Im so surprised they asked about the council offices, i would have been so caught off guard. At least you know for your Clare interview what to expect!

Besides the curve ball how did you feel it went? I always can never tell afterwards if they liked me or not!

Im so surprised they asked about the council offices, i would have been so caught off guard. At least you know for your Clare interview what to expect!

Besides the curve ball how did you feel it went? I always can never tell afterwards if they liked me or not!
    I genuinely couldn't tell
    I felt more at ease with the civil service interview I have to admit
    I think the interviewers were a little softer up there
    I'm 50/50 about the short listing one
    It depends how many they're putting through out of the 93 or so that went!
    I didn't feel confident but.... I feel it was a practice run for Wed in Ennis :)
    Nothing taken for granted lol

I asked them how many positions are they and how many people they need. They said it is not decided yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

jewels0606 wrote: »
    I genuinely couldn't tell
    I felt more at ease with the civil service interview I have to admit
    I think the interviewers were a little softer up there
    I'm 50/50 about the short listing one
    It depends how many they're putting through out of the 93 or so that went!
    I didn't feel confident but.... I feel it was a practice run for Wed in Ennis :)
    Nothing taken for granted lol
    if you are lucky enough to get both Civil Service and Public Sector, I would advise taking the Civil Service. Progression is much easier and as you have already noticed, interviews are also easier. There is too much competition in Public Service for very few positions as one progresses up the ladder and your work ethic is not taken into consideration for promotion. Once you enter the interview room, you are equal to the person who may have a bad work record or absent from work. It all comes down to who performs better at interview.

Best of luck on Weds @jewels0606, Im in on Weds too, not sure what to expect but I'll give it a go. It will be good experience for me anyway.

Heres hoping the questions won't be too tricky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 MfromTipp

Can anyone let me know when the Tipp interviews have been scheduled for and if they're all in Clonmel? I'm away for a few days and the letter is sitting at home!!

august12 wrote: »
    if you are lucky enough to get both Civil Service and Public Sector, I would advise taking the Civil Service. Progression is much easier and as you have already noticed, interviews are also easier. There is too much competition in Public Service for very few positions as one progresses up the ladder and your work ethic is not taken into consideration for promotion. Once you enter the interview room, you are equal to the person who may have a bad work record or absent from work. It all comes down to who performs better at interview.

I passed interview for civil service but I am afraid the panel will expire before they reach my number 26 or 27 batch 1 for Clare and batch 2 16 for limerick
    so I am going to chance everything and if I was really lucky enough to get on with a council I would take the position but I would defo transfer to civil service if that came up in the meantime too

Best of luck on Weds @jewels0606, Im in on Weds too, not sure what to expect but I'll give it a go. It will be good experience for me anyway.

Heres hoping the questions won't be too tricky!

good luck too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I passed interview for civil service but I am afraid the panel will expire before they reach my number 26 or 27 batch 1 for Clare and batch 2 16 for limerick
    so I am going to chance everything and if I was really lucky enough to get on with a council I would take the position but I would defo transfer to civil service if that came up in the meantime too
    if you get a permanent position with Council and Civil Service panel is temporary, I would advise staying with the Council until the next recruitment takes place for Civil Service, temporary panels will not become permanent. With regard to interview, know something about the Council, name of Co. Manager, councillors role, etc. I gave some advice in an earlier thread, you will definitely be asked something about the Local Authority so be prepared regardless of what the interview spec was on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

MfromTipp wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know when the Tipp interviews have been scheduled for and if they're all in Clonmel? I'm away for a few days and the letter is sitting at home!!
    Just back from a few days myself and got letter last night. My interview set for next Tuesday in Clonmel. I live in Nenagh but HR based in Clonmel.

Just back from a few days myself and got letter last night. My interview set for next Tuesday in Clonmel. I live in Nenagh but HR based in Clonmel.

Ah thanks for that. Yeah it's a bit of a trek to Clonmel and not much notice! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

I got asked how many employees had limerick county council. I nearly fell off the chair when they started asking me questions about the council as I wasn't expecting them

Oh I'd have fallen off the chair with you!

I wouldn't have had a clue how to blag my way through that question...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Oh I'd have fallen off the chair with you!

I wouldn't have had a clue how to blag my way through that question...

The organisation has 1,192 staff as of February 2015.

https://www.limerick.ie/council-service-group/about-us

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

august12 wrote: »

I'm actually a cs for past 10 years in AGS, my experience has been completely different. I have had one opportunity for promotion internally and no co got on the panel from my section (200 co in my section). I'm masters qualified, have a great record within work, gave been given extra responsibility and management have regularly said I would be an ideal candidate. Had no people management experience so didn't get any further, same story with external eo competition, failed people management at interview stage. Opportunities for promotion internally aren't there, unless you are in revenue. And the eo competitions are open to everyone also, so if you work in council you can always apply as external candidate.

As regards work ethic being taken into consideration, when you go for promotion internally you are either recommended for promotion, or you are not. Unless you really take the p1ss everyone gets recommended so really doesn't matter if you are an averages or exceptional member of staff.

Ive only ever worked in AGS (all my transfers were blocked, refused to release me, kick in the face) which I really think is one of the worst sections to work in. Maybe other sections are better. But when comparing opportunities which friends have received who are in PS with opportunities I have had, PS wins hands down every time. Hopefully will be successful in this application and can jump ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭redmarie

What were the Clare Council interviews like? Kind of questions were asked?

redmarie wrote: »
    What were the Clare Council interviews like? Kind of questions were asked?

It lasted about 15 minutes. They went through my application form and asked me about my IT experience, Customer service and teamwork. However, I know someone else who was interviewed and he was asked very different questions than I was, so it might not be the same questions for everyone.

Hey brainiac that I am I never thought to ask when we'd hear back with their short listing decision in either limerick or Clare
    Didn't get to go to tipp today due to work and realistically commute doesn't stretch to tipp for me
    Has anyone from limerick or Clare interviews any idea when we shall hear?
    Cheers folks

Anyone know what they asked in tipp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Anyone know what they asked in tipp?

Going by the Appendix we received with the application form, it seems to be based on Relevant Experience and Commuincation & Interpersonal Skills.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a few hours :)

Going by the Appendix we received with the application form, it seems to be based on Relevant Experience and Commuincation & Interpersonal Skills.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a few hours :)

Would assume that but some of the limerick interviewees were saying they were asked questions from appendix 2 for 2nd round

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Hey brainiac that I am I never thought to ask when we'd hear back with their short listing decision in either limerick or Clare
    Didn't get to go to tipp today due to work and realistically commute doesn't stretch to tipp for me
    Has anyone from limerick or Clare interviews any idea when we shall hear?
    Cheers folks

Limerick had said 2 weeks & Clare didn't have a time frame.
    Limerick seemed to be in more of a hurry

Bannergal wrote: »
    Limerick had said 2 weeks & Clare didn't have a time frame.
    Limerick seemed to be in more of a hurry

Thanks hopefully hear this week for limerick then

Did anyone else have interview for Tipperary today? Think it went ok. Fairly straightforward and no curveballs.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else have interview for Tipperary today? Think it went ok. Fairly straightforward and no curveballs.

I had mine yesterday and felt it was straightforward enough. No specific questions about the Council that you either know the answer to or not. Couple of general ones but nothing too difficult. Now the wait... Again...

Advertisement