Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separated father

• 23-12-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Myself and my ex partner have separated. We weren't married, we had bought a house together which neither of us live in now. We both moved back in to our respective parents houses. We have two children and came to an amicable agreement about joint custody. No courts were used and I pay her an amount weekly. All very amicable. Just wondering is there any extra tax credits I can apply for? I've been told various stories about how someone is claiming for this and that but anytime I ring up about it I keep getting doors shut in my face. Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

badge1123 wrote: »
    Myself and my ex partner have separated. We weren't married, we had bought a house together which neither of us live in now. We both moved back in to our respective parents houses. We have two children and came to an amicable agreement about joint custody. No courts were used and I pay her an amount weekly. All very amicable. Just wondering is there any extra tax credits I can apply for? I've been told various stories about how someone is claiming for this and that but anytime I ring up about it I keep getting doors shut in my face. Please help. Thanks.

There was a time when both parties could apply for a single parent tax credit (€1650) as long as both parties had the kids overnight even one night a year. That's gone now as only one parent is considered the chief caregiver. That person (usually the mother) can transfer it to the other parent who is paying tax but it's their call. Does your ex work ?

Ps make sure you pay your maintenance by bank transfer labelled child maintenace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭badge1123

desbrook wrote: »
    There was a time when both parties could apply for a single parent tax credit (€1650) as long as both parties had the kids overnight even one night a year. That's gone now as only one parent is considered the chief caregiver. That person (usually the mother) can transfer it to the other parent who is paying tax but it's their call. Does your ex work ?

Ps make sure you pay your maintenance by bank transfer labelled child maintenace.

Hey thanks for that. Yeh my ex works but only 3 day week. She don't even get taxed that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

badge1123 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for that. Yeh my ex works but only 3 day week. She don't even get taxed that much.

If she is currently paying ANY income tax ( as distinct from PRSI, USC or the levies) then she'll be worse off without the credit. It's that simple.

Advertisement