Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the Tornado in Rathmines today?

Options
  • 23-12-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Did anyone see the tornado in Rathmines today about 12:30pm. Is it possible to find a radar map with it on it or something? It touched down for about 30 seconds at Kellys corner. I was on the top deck of the 15 bus. The rain was going upwards and the bus was rocking like mad while stopped even. I thought it was going to fall over. People were running for cover into the shop there where they were struggling to hold the door closed. A cyclist got knocked off their bike but they ran into the shop. Im raging I didnt get my phone out and take a photo, but it happened so fast.
    Some people got pics on the bus. As the bus got moving again you could see the funnel cloud retreating into the sky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

No, but I suspected one when I was in limerick around 10.15 this morning. Nothing big but pretty strong and swirly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Someone better upload this!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Id say its on the CCTV of the bus and Spar at Kellys corner if anyone has enough influence to ask for it.
    Definite time was between 12:00 and 12:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I don't know if you're codding us or not but you could be right.

Here's the met eireann radar at 12.15.
    screenshot_1.png

And here's the original from ME radar from 12.30
    screenshot_1.png

And here it is again. There is a hook feature (highlighted). So it very well could have (probably was) a tornado.
    screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Can you give more details of what you saw exactly? That time was when the squall line passed through and so straigh lined winds could've easily caused those events. Did you see a funnel cloud?

• Advertisement

Intense rain worse than I have ever seen started very suddenly. The bus was rocking from side to side with the wind. People were running for cover. Guy blown off his bike. All of the traffic stopped. Bus stopped in the middle of the junction. The people in spar were all trying to hold the doors closed.
    Only lasted about 30 secs to 1 min and then back to the normal drizzle and no wind. The rain was even going upwards, which was weird.
    After the bus got going someone said to look out the window. And there was a funnel cloud up in the sky.
    I saw a funnel cloud one before in the US and this was the same. A wispy S - shapes dark cloud spinning out as it retreated skywards.
    Pretty sure if you went into spar and asked them they will tell you, and they will have CCTV footage too.
    Id be interested in getting the photos or video myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Probably a downburst or a microburst?

Here i'll help yous along.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_echo

11187347_10205794517733861_8529517405842646735_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very turbulent looking skies in Abbeyleix around 11.30am this morning with very low cloud that had slow rotation. This was visible immediately after the solid downpour that lasted around 2 or 3 minutes.

I did some searching through tornado pictures and the closest picture I can get to what we saw is this, but it was more of an s shape and lighter even than this. Only saw that as the bus moved on up past portobello and we looked back. Was definitely spinning and wisping around. It was scary enough when it happened actually but very cool if it was a tornado. Definitely not your normal sudden bad weather event anyway.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClJSZ73UsAABQ2i.jpg:medium

Pub time now. Happy Christmas everybody and thanks for the help investigating.

• Advertisement

Just for future reference, so that people know what to look for in future (myself included).
    Supercells are usually found isolated from other thunderstorms, although they can sometimes be embedded in a squall line.

Supercells can be any size – large or small, low or high topped. They usually produce copious amounts of hail, torrential rainfall, strong winds, and substantial downbursts. Supercells are one of the few types of clouds that typically spawn tornadoes within the mesocyclone, although only 30% or fewer do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

76544567 wrote: »
    I did some searching through tornado pictures and the closest picture I can get to what we saw is this, but it was more of an s shape and lighter even than this. Only saw that as the bus moved on up past portobello and we looked back. Was definitely spinning and wisping around. It was scary enough when it happened actually but very cool if it was a tornado. Definitely not your normal sudden bad weather event anyway.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClJSZ73UsAABQ2i.jpg:medium

Pub time now. Happy Christmas everybody and thanks for the help investigating.

Thanks for the extra info, I put up a post on IWO to try see if anyone else saw / captured it.

I'll try get onto MÉ too and request radial wind doppler data from DA to see does it show rotation compared to that possible hook echo that Pedigree posted .

Advertisement