Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post delivery

Options
  • 23-12-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

Will there be mail delivered tomorrow, Christmas Eve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Saturday December 24, 2016 No collections or deliveries of mail

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/ChristmasChannel/Christmas+Postal+Dates.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

There was no post on Christmas Eve this year, for the first time in a very long time!

There has always been post on Christmas Eve regardless what day it fell on (even on a weekend day). An Post for their unknown wisdom too have decided there will be no Post Offices opened (not since last Saturday, Christmas Eve) until this Thursday or any postal deliveries either! I know there was a double bank holiday on Monday & Tuesday, but it makes no sense why they've decided to include this Wednesday the 28th aswell!? So much for wanting to order anything in the online sales or trying to run a business either!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Local postman says no deliveries on Christmas Eve to save on overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's a privilege day

I mean weds

• Advertisement

And there were deliveries and collections sat before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a parcel delivery by An Post on Christmas Eve which surprised me as I'd read their notice and was resigned to not having it before Christmas. Perhaps it only applied to normal post, not parcels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

No big surprise, An Post is virtually insolvent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

spurious wrote: »
    I had a parcel delivery by An Post on Christmas Eve which surprised me as I'd read their notice and was resigned to not having it before Christmas. Perhaps it only applied to normal post, not parcels?

Some Courier Post vans are owner operated so they can do extra days to move their loads if they're arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

amtc wrote: »
    And there were deliveries and collections sat before

There was none on Christmas Eve but there was on 17th.

• Advertisement

There was none on Christmas Eve but there was on 17th.

There was always post the Sunday before Christmas Eve and even the previous the two Sundays running up to Christmas week. That changed to the last Sunday before Christmas in the past 10 years or more. This year it changed to post been delivered on Saturday 17th.

Every other year there was parcel and letter post delivers on Christmas Eve, without fail! Now I even checked with my parents and they agree. As long as they can remember in the 50's, '60s, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and up until last year there was always post on Christmas Eve!

Tradition as you usually gave the postman a few bob for himself on Christmas Eve and some wine/hot whiskey (no drinking and driving these days as most postmen deliver in vans) or mince pies etc...well at least in years gone by they did. Often the case the postman was well drunk and full of food on his bicycle by the time he finished up on Christmas Eve. Ha..ha! :D

ArthurG wrote: »
    No big surprise, An Post is virtually insolvent.

Yes, and then An Post plan to put the price of stamp up to 90-93 cent in the New Year! A joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Yes, and then An Post plan to put the price of stamp up to 90-93 cent in the New Year! A joke!

Because they're not making money on flat mail currently.

I haven't even met my day to day postman in years so I suspect the tips and drinks are dying off rapidly. Have met the parcels drivers occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Taking it to about the EU average

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Taking it to about the EU average

It should be a lot more. Cost of business for a mail carrier is much higher here than most of our european counterparts. People don't like to hear it but thats the reality of our dwelling patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Every other year there was parcel and letter post delivers on Christmas Eve, without fail! Now I even checked with my parents and they agree. As long as they can remember in the 50's, '60s, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and up until last year there was always post on Christmas Eve!

Sorry for the late reply but your parents are remembering wrong .There hasn't been deliveries on Christmas Eve if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday for a long time .Don't know exactly when it started but talking to long serving staff who started in the late 70's and early 80's and they have never done a delivery on Christmas Eve if it was a Saturday or Sunday

2011 was the last occurrence before 2016 but due to the quirks of the calender it will happen again in 2017

Advertisement