Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No electricity in home, except the fridge.

Options
  • 23-12-2016 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

The power suddenly went off but the fridge is still running. I checked the fuse box but no fuses tripped. I unplugged everything from the sockets. My neighbors have power. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Are the lights working.? Look for a RCD circuit breaker. It will be twice as wide as all the other breakers. Switch it fully off and then on again. If this doesn't work can you post a photo of the Board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

No lights either.
    http://imgur.com/a/JkVAS
    My father checked it and seems like the main fuse, not sure what he called it, but is seems to be broken. It's removed in the picture. I guess I'll just call an electrician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Check the meter box. Some homes may have a breaker in there.

Scrap that. Fridge still running?? That's bizarre. Board looks fine. If it was main fuse nothing should be working

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Something strange going on if the fridge is still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

press the test buttons on those rcds for me and let me know what happens

• Advertisement

if nothing trips then its possible that main fuse is blown in the switch fuse unit

Ron603 wrote: »
    The power suddenly went off but the fridge is still running. I checked the fuse box but no fuses tripped. I unplugged everything from the sockets. My neighbors have power. What should I do?

was shower running at the time of power failure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do you hear voices from the fridge saying Zuul?

meercat wrote: »
    press the test buttons on those rcds for me and let me know what happens

Nothing happens, the switch feels as if it was harder to push up than the other switches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

meercat wrote:
    if nothing trips then its possible that main fuse is blown in the switch fuse unit

Not if the fridge is still running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the light on the fridge working or is it just making noise?

Nothing happens, the switch feels as if it was harder to push up than the other switches.

if the test button doesnt trip the rcd then its most likely theres no power in the house.time for a registered contractor as you shouldnt be removing the consumer unit cover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is that a scorch mark on the live cable just below the main fuse? If main fuse is blown nothing should be running unless the CU is wired incorrectly.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Is that a scorch mark on the live cable just below the main fuse? If main fuse is blown nothing should be running unless the CU is wired incorrectly.

or god forbid an extra cable connected into the terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

or god forbid an extra cable connected into the terminal

Might just be the photo, but it certainly looks like a second cable (2.5 judging by the blue crimp!) connected to the main fuse?

Might just be the photo, but it certainly looks like a second cable (2.5 judging by the blue crimp!) connected to the main fuse?

it does,and that may be the fridge circuit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, thanks for the help. My neighbor helped me to find an electrician that was willing to come out and fix it tonight. I forgot to mention that I live in a detached house that is split into 2 flats. There is only 1 electric meter in the top flat. The set up in the flat above was old and one of the fuses was loose and the other main fuse downstairs was burned out because of an overload(central oil heating, electric hob, lights, Christmas lights and to add to all of this, the electric shower).

Ok, thanks for the help. My neighbor helped me to find an electrician that was willing to come out and fix it tonight. I forgot to mention that I live in a detached house that is split into 2 flats. There is only 1 electric meter in the top flat. The set up in the flat above was old and one of the fuses was loose and the other main fuse downstairs was burned out because of an overload(central oil heating, electric hob, lights, Christmas lights and to add to all of this, the electric shower).

you need to get checked that wire on the incoming side of your main switch fuse(especially if your fridge continued to work)

was shower running at the time of power failure

Yes it was. The electrician said to avoid using any other electronics while the electric shower is running.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the light on the fridge working or is it just making noise?

Light and everything, it's fixed now.

• Advertisement

Pete67 wrote: »

I was shining a flashlight on it so that might have altered the way it looked. But the electrician didn't say anything about it, just that the electric shower should have a direct supply from the splitter rather than being connected to the fuse box in my flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I was shining a flashlight on it so that might have altered the way it looked. But the electrician didn't say anything about it, just that the electric shower should have a direct supply from the splitter rather than being connected to the fuse box in my flat.

I'm still concerned about that crimped wire (circled) that seems to be going into the main fuse:

un2UWUt.jpg

I'm still concerned about that crimped wire (circled) that seems to be going into the main fuse:

if your still concerned then you need to get it checked by a rec as ive already said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

IMG

Voltage sense for a "smart" power meter ( installed by the bewildered ) maybe ?

little current transformer underneath the green arrow you added ?

maybe US sourced yoke ( ~ the black wire and white wire at the top swapped over by same bewildered : white-neutral black-phase )

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

At least your milk will stay fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The firemen will appreciate having the drop of fresh milk for the tea after watching it all burn down

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Years ago an ESB guy was doing the meter in my grandads house and put in a permanent live bypassing the meter. It was nice of him but when they were in doing work years later and all power disconnected so they thought but were wrong as there was a socket still live.

Never know could it be getting supply from upstairs or as above wired in wrong.

Advertisement