Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toddler legally allowed to use Cannabis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

What are your thoughts on the matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Legally only allowed to roll one skinners until he is eleven.

He can then move onto 'L' joints and when he hits eitheeen he can roll three skinners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

Panthro wrote: »
    The link is heavy on the word "treatment" as opposed to "use" - a subtle difference. There are loads of kids being "treated" with drugs like morphine each day.
    If it helps him then can it be frowned upon!

Another thing about the link is it is heavy on "cookies" information... Wonder if there is a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Good, cu>nting sin it had to be that hard to get helpful medicine, disgrace why we are so afraid of something so sensible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Saw. Just saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

'Cannabis oil which prevents him from having up to 20 seizures a day'

Bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

He gets cannabis oil, not cannabis. Slight difference in the name, massive difference in the product.

Oil tends to have high levels of CBD which doesn't get you high. Cannabis can have high levels of THC which is where the high and anxiety come from.

So why would anybody be against giving this kid cannabis oil? Ignorance i'd say.

Also, OP, what's your opinion? Boards is not a news dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm delighted they've found something which helps the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

He gets cannabis oil, not cannabis. Slight difference in the name, massive difference in the product.

Oil tends to have high levels of CBD which doesn't get you high. Cannabis can have high levels of THC which is where the high and anxiety come from.

So why would anybody be against giving this kid cannabis oil? Ignorance i'd say.

The oil he would be using would be very high in thc but I imagine is taken by means which avoids any high which is a relatively simple process. CBD is not illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Amazing it has stopped the little man's daily, frequent seizures anyways, big help to him and his family. Would love to read more about this CBD oil from a trustworthy source

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The oil he would be using would be very high in thc but I imagine is taken by means which avoids any high which is a relatively simple process. CBD is not illegal

If you ingest THC you get high, there's no two ways about it.

CBD is the extract used in this case as it can be quite effect in treating a range of illnesses such as epilepsy.

CBD is illegal in Ireland, unless that has been updated recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great news. Hopefully this will give him relief from seizures and a new lease of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The cannabis oil used by children and adults for epilepsy is low in THC and high in CBD. If it was my child I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I'd imagine the increase in his quality of life is significant. I'm happy for them tbh. Are we supposed to be outraged that they are using a perfectly legal drug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

buried wrote: »
    Amazing it has stopped the little man's daily, frequent seizures anyways, big help to him and his family. Would love to read more about this CBD oil from a trustworthy source

Plenty of information, links to medical publications and videos on this thread...

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

If you ingest THC you get high, there's no two ways about it.

CBD is the extract used in this case as it can be quite effect in treating a range of illnesses such as epilepsy.

CBD is illegal in Ireland, unless that has been updated recently.
    You take it as a suppository

CBD is not illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

i'd honestly question the intelligence of anyone who is against this it's life changing medical treatment hardly the same as someone buying a 50 bag and rolling a spliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Where is he going to buy this CBD oil? It is well and good licensing it in Ireland, but it is futile if no one can sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

In other news a baby was given calpol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Where is he going to buy this CBD oil? It is well and good licensing it in Ireland, but it is futile if no one can sell it

They are in Colorado it says. Presumably they can now bring it home from there to use without facing punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

As far as I know there is no complicated extraction process to produce low THC/ high CBD, you simply use a strain of the cannabis plant that is high CBD/low THC

There are some strains of the plant that have been specifically bred for those characteristics.

Meaning he could get the same relief if his parents simply grew a plant of the particular strain and made him some biscuits or other edible from it?

It doesn't have to take waiting for the glacially slow pharmaceutical industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They are in Colorado it says. Presumably they can now bring it home from there to use without facing punishment?

There's acres of it growing here, all licenced by the department of health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

gctest50 wrote: »

Interesting. So they grow a strain called "Bialobrzeskie".

If this strain is so benign as to allow consumption in Ireland then can people grow it themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You take it as a suppository

CBD is not illegal

It's an oil, you put it under your tongue or however you like to take it. You are talking about something else. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the amount of THC or how it effects you, there's f all THC in CBD oil, which is why it's not the go to product for recreational users who want to get high.

CBD is illegal, it's restricted depending on the amount of THC in the product.

It's an oil, you put it under your tongue or however you like to take it. You are talking about something else. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the amount of THC or how it effects you, there's f all THC in CBD oil, which is why it's not the go to product for recreational users who want to get high.

CBD is illegal, it's restricted depending on the amount of THC in the product.

Jaysus do I have to spell it out. You put the oil in a capsule. This allows people to consume oil without any of the side effects traditionally accociated with cannibas by taking it as a suppository

...without any of the side effects traditionally accociated with cannibas by taking it as a suppository

I doubt that the side effects are eliminated because of taking it as a suppository.
    I suspect it is the removal of the THC that does that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Whole new meaning to high chairs for kids...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Panthro wrote: »

Ireland finally moves into 20th century. Who knows maybe they'll achieve 21st century thinking before the end of the century.

Anyone who thinks this is wrong is simply misinformed and I'd love to see them put in a room seeing it stop the seizures and then they have to say "You're not having it because I'm scared of it."

SixSixSix wrote: »
    I doubt that the side effects are eliminated because of taking it as a suppository.
    I suspect it is the removal of the THC that does that!

You doubt it because you have no experience of it . Lot of misinformation on this thread so will leave you to it

You doubt it because you have no experience of it .
    I doubt it because I doubt the ability of my lower intestines to absorb the useful CBD but not absorb THC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Toddler with seizures given medication. Medication has worked and child is no longer having seizures (which is ofc a very good thing and I'm glad for him).

So why is this news again?

Toddler with seizures given medication. Medication has worked and child is no longer having seizures [...]
    So why is this news again?

Primarily because the "medication" is a Cannabis extract which contains high levels of THC.
    Anything found to contain THC in Ireland is illegal, as is its possession or use. But because the family have shown it to be beneficial to managing their son's condition, the government have set a precedent and granted them a licence to legally use Cannabis as a medicinal product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Primarily because the "medication" is a Cannabis extract which contains high levels of THC.
    Anything found to contain THC in Ireland is illegal, as is its possession or use. But because the family have shown it to be beneficial to managing their son's condition, the government have set a precedent and granted them a licence to legally use Cannabis as a medicinal product.

Okay, fair enough. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Low (very low) levels of THC, no?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Low (very low) levels of THC, no?

Any level of THC has always been deemed illegal, hence the interest in the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any level of THC has always been deemed illegal, hence the interest in the subject.

You said high levels, hence my post.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You said high levels, hence my post.

From my own reading of things it would appear that nuero conditions need to be treated with higher levels of THC. But to put it into context, what may be considered to be a high level of THC in the product may still only be as high (no pun intended) as 20% by volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My 3 year old has/had arthritis and there is many stories within the juvenile arthritis community that cannabis oil has a positive effect on some forms of it.
    Thankfully my daughter looks to be recovering from it and past the worst, but I had research cannabis oil and I had also identified a method of getting it from the US, I wouldn't have hesitate in getting it had she needed it.

Delighted she is doing well and hopefully makes a full recovery.
    I have my own family health reasons for digging into the subject myself and trying to learn as much about it as possible, good, bad or indifferent.

Jaysus do I have to spell it out. You put the oil in a capsule. This allows people to consume oil without any of the side effects traditionally accociated with cannibas by taking it as a suppository

I don't think you understand what this is at all. Where did you hear this crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

im only on the first page but if it helps, it helps.

no point in someone suffering when there is a way to relieve it in fairness no matter the substance once its also being conrtolled.

but then we have the government that would like to make a substantial profit off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can we cut the bollocks and now legalise this for everyone whose life would improve with it.

MODS:Can we have a poll?

I literally have no interest in any form of cannabis but if, like i said it 'helps someone and its controlled' i'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Imagine how effective cannabis as drug would-be if people would stop been so fúcking ignorant.

My guess, it's use as a base for other medicines. This and other drug combinations, might end some serious conditions.

Even Heroine and Cocaine, I am sure with proper scienceific research and other drug combinations they can cure. We shouldn't be so ignorant because we see what abuse of these drugs can do.

Electricity can kill you, but in moderationand the correct combination it can keep you alive.

To post 48 and 49, I cant see what the issue is, and like i said in previous posts i am not a user. its all to do with the government sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

My brother's epileptic seizures (he had 100+ petit mal absences a day as an infant) were brought under control for over a decade with the Ketogenic diet thanks to my incredibly committed parents. Now that he's a teenager, the diet is becoming less effective and he's started having quite severe seizures at night again. We would love to talk to somebody who knows more about the treatment in the OP and how to access it. The anti-convulsant drugs we've managed to avoid for so long are changing the happy lad I knew into a cranky, unpredictable person and only barely staving off the actual fits. It's heartbreaking.

this and other drug combinations, might end some serious conditions.

Even Heroine and Cocaine,

any bets if used correctly these can help sort out pain and anxiety with the proper research

• Advertisement
Advertisement