Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a hope they could get that asking price though. Dreamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest CPO car now a pre-facelift 70D AP1, for GBP39k. Not super value for money.

Cheapest facelift is GBP41.6k and it's white and doesn't have AP1 - terrible value for money...

Only advantage of the 70d is the 4 year warranty. But still looks more like a £35k car to me.

The white facelift does have FSD. I am guessing to make up for the high millage.

I am watching the Model 3 on the Irish site dropping at €40 euro per day so see how low it goes. It's going to take months to be good value.

Model 3 has glacial depreciation. Not quite the appreciation Musk has been going on about, but as usual he is not that far off the mark :D

If you can be a bit more specific about exactly what spec S or 3 you are looking for and with what kind of budget, I will keep my eyes peeled for one. Very least I can do for you :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was interested myself, but talked myself out of it. I'm really holding out for a bargain bargain, or at that price im not 100% convinced it's the car for us (not me, us).

That said, Irish plates 2014 Model S 85 with AP1. €35k
    https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/25085443

Dual motors, free supercharging, Chademo adapter (and they spelt it CHAdeMO so they potentially know their EV stuff). Looks nice and clean too.

2 door handles and the drivetrain have been replaced. Last I heard, they're €1500 under asking.

Dual motors, free supercharging, Chademo adapter

It's not a dual motor, just a base RWD S 85 and no mention of the granny cable, I'd say it's missing. The rest of the ad is pretty precise, the owner knows what they are talking about

But with the AP1 and on Irish plates, and presumably room for a bit of negotiation, it's good value for money, although it's white and private sale, so no warranty

@jhegarty - one for you or are you holding out for a facelift car?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's not a dual motor, just a base RWD S 85 and no mention of the granny cable, I'd say it's missing. The rest of the ad is pretty precise, the owner knows what they are talking about

But with the AP1 and on Irish plates, and presumably room for a bit of negotiation, it's good value for money, although it's white and private sale, so no warranty

I've been drinking. Dual chargers

I am going back and forward between a face lift or a new model 3 on an hourly basis.

Either way, I don't need a car until at least October so not in any rush. The i3 was last charged 3 weeks ago.

If you have no need for a hatchback or the space in the Model S and you aren't particularly interested in the brutal power of a performance model, then a new Model 3 SR+ for only a bit more money makes a lot of sense if I'm honest. Plenty of range there too and a nice upgrade from the range of the i3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was interested myself, but talked myself out of it. I'm really holding out for a bargain bargain, or at that price im not 100% convinced it's the car for us (not me, us).

That said, Irish plates 2014 Model S 85 with AP1. €35k
    https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/25085443

Dual motors, free supercharging, Chademo adapter (and they spelt it CHAdeMO so they potentially know their EV stuff). Looks nice and clean too.

2 door handles and the drivetrain have been replaced. Last I heard, they're €1500 under asking.

I also considered this car too.
    White would be my preferred colour to be honest.

It’s a nice car and the seller has updated the ad with better pics only recently so it now stands out.

On the door handle thing, one of the lads rang Tesla SC today as one of his died. It’s now a €350 fix through Tesla which is still expensive so a snapped wire going into the switch motor but I’d say most of the cost is labour in stripping the door cards down.

There’s loads of videos on you tube Sonos say I’d do it myself if mine go anytime in the future.

I'd do it myself if the door handle went. But thankfully I'm covered under warranty until some time in 2022 :D

How's the car driving for you Gumbo? Lots of traction control warnings in this rainy weather? :D

• Advertisement

I'd do it myself if the door handle went. But thankfully I'm covered under warranty until some time in 2022 :D

How's the car driving for you Gumbo? Lots of traction control warnings in this rainy weather? :D

I’m back in love again :D
    God the amount of looks the car gets! Strangely enough it’s the kids that jump out to look at it and then the big wheels and red brakes catch the eye of the older generation.

I have friends with E46 M3’s and E60 M5’s and they are gobsmacked at the power, it’s instant delivery and relentless acceleration to well north of banned speeds!

Spotify causing a nuisance but it seems to be a common problem that can’t be fixed as it’s on Spotify’s end. Basically when you get intk the car,
    Sometimes Spotify starts playing on the phone, even if I’m playing the radio or Spotify in the car. A completely different song will start playing on the phone. Seems to be an Apple and Spotify issue for car auto play once it connects to Bluetooth. But it can’t be turned off.

Then had an airbag light that came on the day after the update to 2020.20.1. It disappeared then 3 days later after I parked in the garden with a good connection to WiFi for the day so please god a software bug.

Then the tyre pressure warning light came on after I adjusted the pressures to 40 rear and 38 front. Wasn’t loosing any air so adjusted 40 front and 40 rear, reset again and hasn’t come on since so maybe the 38 was considered low for the system. Had my mate use his TPMS machine on the valves and all were reading perfectly with pressures at 39.9.

Booked it into Tesla for a service for 6th July. I know I could get it done at a good Indy but I just thought get a grounding starting with Tesla and then do the bits myself going forward.

Might be a bargain, might not.

2018 TESLA MODEL S 100D up for auction this week.

https://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=db37a482-11b6-ea11-80e7-0026b9533b61

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sexy looking car that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Have never gone near an auction. Anything to be aware of? I understand it is risky. Riskier than a private party sale?

Most cars sold at Merlin go for way too much (above private sale money) as there are numerous individuals out there who fancy themselves as savvy traders. They are far from that :p

But you never know, I'm sure the occasional bargain slips through the net...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

garo wrote: »
    Have never gone near an auction. Anything to be aware of? I understand it is risky. Riskier than a private party sale?

Think about auctions like this. If you asked everyone on this thread about the value of a certain car, most would get it close enough (I'm being nice), some would under value it and a few would think its worth more than it is.
    Guess who would 'win' the auction!

However, if there's not much demand on the day and you've done your homework ...

garo wrote: »

Don’t bid with your heart. The merlin suctions tend to go above RRP for some
    Reason. Have a budget in mind and back out of close to buying a CPO from Tesla IRL/UK.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Might be a bargain, might not.

2018 TESLA MODEL S 100D up for auction this week.

https://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=db37a482-11b6-ea11-80e7-0026b9533b61

€64,200

Plus fees I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,900 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pretty much bang on the money for trade value. Little bit too high but I had thought around that mark.

How much are the fees and where do you see the results?

• Advertisement

How much are the fees and where do you see the results?

One of the guys on the FB group posted it.
    I think the fees are a couple of %.......5ish but not completely sure.

Good discount on a new one if you were looking for one with the same options. That said a brand new car without options has better hardware (i.e. HW3 vs HW2), a longer range I think with the Raven setup and of course 2 years more warranty. I would not have paid over €60k for that car myself, it's poor value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Good discount on a new one if you were looking for one with the same options. That said a brand new car without options has better hardware (i.e. HW3 vs HW2), a longer range I think with the Raven setup and of course 2 years more warranty. I would not have paid over €60k for that car myself, it's poor value.

Roughly what would that cost new with the options on it - 90k?

Casati wrote: »
    Roughly what would that cost new with the options on it - 90k?
    More at the time, as they were more expensive.
    You can now buy an ex demo long range raven from Tesla Ireland for 85k

The hardware is not an issue, pay for FSD and it will be upgraded.
    I concur with you, if I had the money for an S100D I'd be buying the above from Tesla and putting up with the extra monthlies, for the HW3 and MCU2, along with Raven motors and efficiency.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The hardware is not an issue, pay for FSD and it will be upgraded.

Pay for FSD is a big ask! :D

I mean, if you're going to spend 64k plus 5% fees, nearly 70k on a model S, and pay in cash (merlin dont do financing), I'm sure you're either a) planning to flip it - in which case you overpaid or b) you will be keeping it for some time.
    Of course for a) above I wouldnt pay for FSD but for B I would, it will give much better function and jump you to the front of the MCU upgrade if needed too.

Also, at 6k for FSD and ~2.5k for MCU upgrade it puts you in the mid 70s. Really shows that they overpaid when an as new inventory car is 85k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hard to know if this eGolf is a "bargain" - however some haggling should do it.

https://www.oreillyvw.ie/car-details/2540187/

Someone mentioned that car in another thread. Presuming you can get a good bit off if you're a cash buyer with no trade in, that's a bargain in my book. A lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I am intrigued at this one - a 2015 BATTERY OWNED – No monthly battery lease charges? - I didn't think that was possible? , how? - I thought all ZOE of that vintage were battery rental?
    Good price though, but high mileage isnt it for a BEV?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-zoe-dynamique-zen-fully-electric/25197463

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That is really low milage. It's a 5 year old car. Only 12k a year.

Advertisement