Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The LKAS works really well on long distance driving on well defined roads (like motorways and national roads). And active cruise control is just very handy in busy traffic, like on the M50. I never used cruise control much in previous cars until I got ACC. Really miss my autonomous driving as I had it in my Ioniq. But I'll get it back one day :D

An early Tesla Model S with AP1 costs about GBP4k more than a car without it. That's a lot of money for it, far more than I would be willing to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    The LKAS works really well on long distance driving on well defined roads (like motorways and national roads). And active cruise control is just very handy in busy traffic, like on the M50. I never used cruise control much in previous cars until I got ACC. Really miss my autonomous driving as I had it in my Ioniq. But I'll get it back one day :D

An early Tesla Model S with AP1 costs about GBP4k more than a car without it. That's a lot of money for it, far more than I would be willing to pay.

I’d be of a similar mindset. I don’t do enough driving to justify it.
    But I would pay the extra for a P model over a non P model so I suppose it’s horses for courses as there’s people that wouldn’t see the appeal of the P model too.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's the Ad I used a number plate for when trying to get an idea of what insurance might cost. Ranging from no quote to €750. :mad:
    Not a bad price for the lack of hassle involved. Equivalent to around £30k + travel expenses which is about as cheap as they are in the UK.

Dual charger is about as glitzy as it's spec gets though. Must be getting near his upgrade coming in with that price drop.

EDIT:
    I like donedeal advertising to get a quote with Liberty before you buy. Liberty who don't insure teslas

Not a bad price for the lack of hassle involved. Equivalent to around £30k + travel expenses which is about as cheap as they are in the UK.

And he is not going to decline a serious cash offer of €32k, is he?

That would make it one good value (hassle free purchase) Model S for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Decent price for a car on Irish plates, but solid white is not a good colour. But sure if you like it and if you're going to keep it for a long time, who cares.

That's a bit of an exaggeration :p

First of all only a small minority of cars had to have the MCU1 replaced. We all know the reason: excessive data logging wears down the flash memory. This excessive data logging has long since been stopped with a software update, so the chances of getting this problem have reduced dramatically

And if it does happen, there are indy companies in the UK that can fix it for around the EUR500 mark

But sure, use it as a negotiating chip to get another grand or two off :D

I’ve spoken to two UK based Rangers and both said they consider MSU1 as a consumable item and it’s a matter of when. Their words not mine, suffice to say I’m a happy camper mine was replaced this year, for me that’s peace of mind.
    The “fix” is £500 plus travel/hassle and can only be done proactively, if it goes the “fix” cannot be performed and you’re left with Tesla to sort it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I'm glad I have the guts of 2 years warranty left from Tesla too :p

That said, the MCU1 issue wouldn't scare me. And yes I would go the UK route if it went on me - would get 4G upgrade too for an additional hundred quid - rather than handing Tesla Ireland over €3k do do a lesser job!

But if it goes on you you can’t go the Indy route AFAIK, the Indy fix requires a fully working MCU as they copy existing data and replace the memory chip. If the MCU is already dead then they can’t do their copy so you’re off to Tesla, only “benefit” if it goes for us Unkel is by then it will be an upgrade fix to MCU2 albeit with some loss of features eg FM radio goes

slave1 wrote: »
    But if it goes on you you can’t go the Indy route AFAIK, the Indy fix requires a fully working MCU as they copy existing data and replace the memory chip. If the MCU is already dead then they can’t do their copy so you’re off to Tesla, only “benefit” if it goes for us Unkel is by then it will be an upgrade fix to MCU2 albeit with some loss of features eg FM radio goes

You're being overly pessimistic for the people without warranty and overly optimistic for the people with warranty again :p

MCU1 issue is not a sudden death, you can see it coming for quite some time. Artifacts, having to reboot it, etc.

And there is no way Tesla will replace a broken MCU1 under warranty free of charge with a brand new MCU2. If only!

I meant we don't have to worry about ours for the next two years so if it does go once we're out of warranty then we'll pony up and the benefit will be a MCU2

You're being overly pessimistic for the people without warranty and overly optimistic for the people with warranty again :p

MCU1 issue is not a sudden death, you can see it coming for quite some time. Artifacts, having to reboot it, etc.

And there is no way Tesla will replace a broken MCU1 under warranty free of charge with a brand new MCU2. If only!
    I meant we don't have to worry about ours for the next two years so if it does go once we're out of warranty then we'll pony up and the benefit will be a MCU2

If mine goes I’m screwing my screen into your car and off to Tesla with yis :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

This is my 2012 Leaf for sale, €4950: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-nissan-leaf/25279556

If anyone wants further detail then PM me. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Both have a usable capacity of not much more than 20kWh, both are inefficient and both have a similar range. 150km from either car, in your dreams!

ha yeah - just watching a UK lads youtube video on batteries and charging - 22kw battery zoe does apparently 100miles (160kms) in summer on full charge - worse case, in the winter just 65 miles (104kms) - they didnt do very long range did they :D

and that was most probably from new, so gord knows how much a used 2015 one might do!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

2015 Model S 85D AP1 + Air Suspension & more @91k miles - £27,995
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007070950063

Really tempted, although not a massive fan of the colour combination!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gumbo wrote: »
    What’s the appeal of AP1?
    I haven’t got it myself now, but I hardly even use cruise control.
    Adaptive cruise and lane keep.
    Generally with AP1 cars you also get EAP, which includes lane change and basic summon.

Matqo wrote: »
    2015 Model S 85 AP1 + Air Suspension & more @91k miles - £27,995

No AP1...

No AP1...
    Yes it does
    You can see the square box in the grille, and confirmed as AP1 in the listings

No AP1...

From description ;"AUTOPILOT HARDWARE 1 WITH CONVENIENCE FEATURES". Also check out the pics of the front grill, you can see the Bosch radar in the rectangle cutout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Matqo wrote: »
    2015 Model S 85D AP1 + Air Suspension & more @91k miles - £27,995

That's a massive bargain.

Eh, lads, the AP1 hardware is obviously there, but it's not enabled. Which is pretty much the same as not having the hardware at all from a value point of view.

Still any Tesla Model S for under GBP30k is a bit of a bargain.

Old trick of the trade. "AP1 with convenience features" means it does have AP working. "AP1 hardware with convenience features" means it doesn't.

85D and all. Seems a great price, but at the same time oddly low. Next cheapest 2015 85D is £3k more expensive, and doesn't mention air suspension.

• Advertisement

Says Smart Air Suspension in the Ad

Eh, lads, the AP1 hardware is obviously there, but it's not enabled. Which is pretty much the same as not having the hardware at all from a value point of view.

Still any Tesla Model S for under GBP30k is a bit of a bargain.

Old trick of the trade. "AP1 with convenience features" means it does have AP working. "AP1 hardware with convenience features" means it doesn't.

Someone get the VIN and we've a chance of deciphering the exact spec...

The elephant is zero warranty, lesser elephant looks like no premium connectivity and no free supercharging, have to assume no dual charger also, not mad on the wheels either.
    Great price though...

The elephant is zero warranty, lesser elephant looks like no premium connectivity and no free supercharging, have to assume no dual charger also, not mad on the wheels either.
    Great price though...

Would the Battery & Drive train warranty not be valid through H2 2023 / 59k more miles?

Battery and Drive Train are covered to those dates with unlimited mileage for that age car, meant lack of bumper to bumper warranty and the (ducks head to avoid the bullets) MCU1 in particular given it's high repair bill.
    This car is actually the perfect example of proactive MCU1 memory module replacement, would be huge selling point to the savvy purchaser...

Great price though...

Why would this have no free SC or connectivity? Previously a CPO?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Why would this have no free SC or connectivity? Previously a CPO?
    It has both free SuC and connectivity.
    I fail to see the problem.

If it has hardware but not software for AP, you could pay to enable it and its still super cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Great price though...

It was never CPO so not on ev-cpo.

Says Smart Air Suspension in the Ad

Not the point I was making. I said the next cheapest similar car doesn't have air suspension and is £3k more expensive.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If it has hardware but not software for AP, you could pay to enable it and its still super cheap!

Yeah you say that, but have we actually established if Tesla Sandyford will do this for you? And if so at what cost?

• Advertisement

It's an OTA upgrade.

Advertisement