Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Of course it is. Should be a matter of someone ticking a box in Tesla's system, should take no more than a few seconds and doesn't cost Tesla anything to do this.

But do they offer this service? Not a chance in hell I would buy a car and presume they would actually do this unless I had it confirmed in writing / email that they would and how much it costs. I sent them an email about it I think last year, and got no reply

So until proven otherwise, I think it is prudent to presume they either won't do it, or it will cost many thousands. Please Tesla Sandyford, prove me wrong here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They will do it, it costs a couple of thousands, and there are plenty of videos on the yooo tooob showing it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    They will do it, it costs a couple of thousands, and there are plenty of videos on the yooo tooob showing it

I would urge anyone not to buy a Tesla Model S presuming this is the case, unless you have it in writing from Tesla.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Don't think any of us spotted this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-e-niro-full-electric-5dr-452km-range-6/25082006

201 Kia eNiro with a few km on it. €37k from a dealer. It's not the facelift model though, but 2-3k savings on what the original pricing for the 2019 eNiro when it came out.

• Advertisement

Deposit taken. Someone saving themselves three grand compared with a new one.

unkel wrote: »

Yup. Sorry, I meant to say. It was deposit taken all day (when I first spotted it)

Granted you can't get that spec one new anymore. I'm not completely familiar with the differences between version 1 and 1.1 other than a bigger touch screen, different tail lights, new layout dash (2020 is probably the better looking one) and perhaps the 2020 one came with an 11kW charger vs 7kW in 2019?? Either way, there's a 2-3k increase in the price on the facelift, on what was already a pretty expensive Kia. So this 201 (granted it's the original look) is ~5-6k cheaper than a new eNiro.

Must tip over to the Niro thread and see what the differences are.

Not many EV bargains around these days and I regularly have a look. I guess demand > supply, even in these challenging times. Found one though!

2017 Kia eSoul 31kWh, asking GBP11,980. Get it for GBP11.6k, look hard for a cheap flight and ferry, use Revolut or similar to do a bank transfer at the interbank rate with no fees, bring your own sandwiches and you'll get it on Irish plates for around the EUR13k mark

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Not many EV bargains around these days and I regularly have a look. I guess demand > supply, even in these challenging times. Found one though!

2017 Kia eSoul 31kWh, asking GBP11,980. Get it for GBP11.6k, look hard for a cheap flight and ferry, use Revolut or similar to do a bank transfer at the interbank rate with no fees, bring your own sandwiches and you'll get it on Irish plates for around the EUR13k mark

Linky

there shouldnt be any VRT payable at all on that should there be, it being a BEV?

• Advertisement

No VRT at all, or any other taxes or duties when importing it. You just register it (for free) with the VRT office and they will give you a cert with the Irish license on it. You will have to get Irish plates made, that's all. Presuming the car has a current MOT, you can also transfer that for free to a current NCT with the same expiry date. Just transfer your Irish insurance and pay the €120 motor tax for the year, is all.

I know the eSoul is a bit of a marmite car, few will honestly feel it is a handsome car and this one is white, that doesn't help either :p

A lot of EV for the money though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

there shouldnt be any VRT payable at all on that should there be, it being a BEV?
    Bev less than ~35k OMSP have no VRT due. It's not a blanket exception,.

That being said, the OMSP would be less than 35k so there would be no VRT for that one

August is the plates change in the UK. People could be holding out for that somewhat. Covid (and job security/uncertainty) could be slowing people up from upgrading. Particularly if WFH becomes a norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Linky

That is one ugly car. Someone will have to pay me EUR 13k to drive that!

garo wrote: »
    That is one ugly car. Someone will have to pay me EUR 13k to drive that!

its not a looker i have to admit - last in the 'good looks' line - but then again some of the other EV's out there a bit ugly as well.

I might be in minority but I dont like the front of the Kona, even though I am impressed at its range - they are right when they say 'bold design' - big and bulky bold design I say.

I like the look of the new Zoe and have always like the look of the Golf-e's (or is it e-golf?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Fair point. And looks are also subjective. What floats my boat may be an absolute no-go for you etc. Hope that the next couple of years will see more mainstream designs.
    What that Kia reminds me of is the Fiat Multipla from 15-20 years ago.

what gets me is how different they feel they have to make EV's look from their counterpart. Take for example I have a 2016 renault Clio 4 - I am happy with the looks and its shape - its modern looking enough . I am pretty sure they could have ripped out the ICE engine and put in the workings under the bonnet and the batteries under the rear seats and that the weight of the car would have been good , but at the same time as the Zoe came out they didnt use the Clio 4 body and had to then most probably tool up the factories for the zoe design.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what gets me is how different they feel they have to make EV's look from their counterpart. Take for example I have a 2016 renault Clio 4 - I am happy with the looks and its shape - its modern looking enough . I am pretty sure they could have ripped out the ICE engine and put in the workings under the bonnet and the batteries under the rear seats and that the weight of the car would have been good , but at the same time as the Zoe came out they didnt use the Clio 4 body and had to then most probably tool up the factories for the zoe design.

Coefficient of Drag. (Cd)
    To get the range, its aerodynamic profile has to be altered significantly.

Gumbo wrote: »

I never thought about that - I think the Clio 4 body has good aerodynamics ... maybe not good enough for BEV requirements then -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Not many EV bargains around these days and I regularly have a look.

As far as I know, this Ioniq (Irish car, great spec, wrapped, tinted etc.) is still available.
    Last I heard, it had 4 brand new Dunlop A/B rated tyres fitted & would be well priced, IMO :).

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/hyundai/ioniq/kildare/2563011

:)

• Advertisement

It's a good price to be fair. Pity about the previous owner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's a good price to be fair. Pity about the previous owner

You've met my missus then :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How come the eSoul looks like a brick then?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,478 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to say I am not a fan of the sSoul looks at all at all, but saw one in person before the whole lockdown and it looks way better in the wild, way better

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

slave1 wrote: »
    Have to say I am not a fan of the sSoul looks at all at all, but saw one in person before the whole lockdown and it looks way better in the wild, way better

And thats where it should be left, in the wild...
    Run free Esoul, run free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

slave1 wrote: »

That one posted is an ugly beast. Two tone paint does not work for me on any car.
    But I saw an all red 201 esoul today and it looked good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NIMAN wrote: »

You’d have to ask the designer that?
    Compared its Cd to that of a more efficient car like the ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JPA wrote: »
    That one posted is an ugly beast. Two tone paint does not work for me on any car.
    But I saw an all red 201 esoul today and it looked good.

Madness!

Mini Cooper S

End Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Hi guys.

Quick question if you don't mind.

How much would a 60% Nissan Leaf gen 1 battery (2012) be worth for solar usage (ballpark)?

I have the car about a year and I now need a regular long journey through the north (unreliable chargers) so I'm selling.

This time last year leafs at approx 6k were like hen's teeth. Now, I'm finding it difficult to sell at less than 4!

Thanks in advance - cheers.

Advertisement