Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have you an ad up? If so, could you share a link?

If you take out the batteries, you could sell them on eBay no problem, maybe get €2k. They are the least desirable battery modules from any EV out there. But surely the car as a going concern will be worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Thanks.

Yeah, I expected that the car as a whole should be worth more than its components! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't selling a valuable battery for zero

Here's the ad, cheers https://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2012-nissan-leaf-fresh-nct-reduced-price/20896856

unkel wrote: »
    Have you an ad up? If so, could you share a link?

If you take out the batteries, you could sell them on eBay no problem, maybe get €2k. They are the least desirable battery modules from any EV out there. But surely the car as a going concern will be worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Very surprised that’s not being snapped up for that asking price. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

First Leaf62 for under €30k I’ve seen - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007181403670

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The recent official death of chademo will have triggered it I assume

• Advertisement

It's a decent price for a 2019 Leaf 62kWh. But not spectacular in any way. For the same money (€30k) you can buy a 2019 Kona 64kWh in Ireland. This can charge faster and has a much longer range than the Leaf. But of course it is smaller and not suitable for a family of 5.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    The recent official death of chademo will have triggered it I assume

CHAdeMO has been obsolete in Europe for many years. The only car that comes with it is the Nissan Leaf. That has not stopped loads of people from buying one and Nissan deciding that they will no longer support it for any new cars coming to Europe won't make much of a difference to these people

It's a decent price for a 2019 Leaf 62kWh. But not spectacular in any way. For the same money (€30k) you can buy a 2019 Kona 64kWh in Ireland. This can charge faster and has a much longer range than the Leaf. But of course it is smaller and not suitable for a family of 5.

CHAdeMO has been obsolete in Europe for many years. The only car that comes with it is the Nissan Leaf. That has not stopped loads of people from buying one and Nissan deciding that they will no longer support it for any new cars coming to Europe won't make much of a difference to these people
    Oh I know that... don't worry... but I was referring to the official deprecation of the standard, since no new cars will now come with it.

The cheapest electric Kona I can see is €33k list? Unclear what spec it is, so not sure if comparing like with like either. Premium SEs (more comparable to the Leaf Tekna) are €35k+ no? Again talking list here, not after the unkel bargaining wizardry because that could also be applied to the Leaf list price I've posted.

Agree though if range is your determining factor the Kona is the way to go. The Leaf is much bigger, has a more premium feel inside, more tech than the basic Konas we're comparing pricing on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... since no new cars will now come with it.

When will they start shipping Leaf's with CCS?
    Wouldnt be surprised to see new Leafs coming with CHAdeMO for another year or two.

KCross wrote: »
    When will they start shipping Leaf's with CCS?
    Wouldnt be surprised to see new Leafs coming with CHAdeMO for another year or two.

I think the leaf is not long for this world, being replaced by the ariya?
    It wouldnt make sense to have one CCS car and one chademo.

• Advertisement

Zenith74 wrote: »
    The cheapest electric Kona I can see is €33k list?

Someone in here bought one recently in Ireland for €30k. He had a Zoe before.

Cheapest ones on AT are about the same price as that Leaf, a bit over GBP28k asking price

Personally I feel a brand new ID.3 58kWh with more range than that Leaf (but not as much as the Kona) for only a few grand more would be much better value for money than either

I think the leaf is not long for this world, being replaced by the ariya?

The Ariya is a very different market to the Leaf.

SUV vs 5 door hatch.... i dont think one replaces the other.
    It wouldnt make sense to have one CCS car and one chademo.

For sure.
    But we dont have line of sight for when you can get an Ariya in Ireland... could be Dec 2021 for all we know.

And will they switch the Leaf to CHAdeMO at the exact same time... they might not. Who knows what Nissan will do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I can't see them switching the LEAF to CCS until they do another refresh, what are Nissan refresh cycles like?

The Leaf is nearly 11 years old! It's on its very last legs, I don't think there will be another refresh :p

Agreed that I don't expect Nissan to switch the Leaf to CCS, no matter how long the car stays in production.

The Leaf is nearly 11 years old! It's on its very last legs, I don't think there will be another refresh :p

You believe Nissan will abandon the hatchback EV market and leave it all to ID.3, e208 etc?

That would be a strange decision, imo. Why would they do that when they have all the money already invested and cars rolling off the line.

Its not like the Leaf is a terrible seller either.... it has areas to improve but it wouldnt make much sense to abandon the Leaf program. The L40 and L62 were only released in the last 2 years so I'd say there is a good 5 years left in that program unless sales plummet... anythings possible but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lots of folk do not fast charge, especially when a second car, our Leaf has not been fast charged this year, when I bought it used it had never been fast charged by first owner.
    So for some the fast charger connection is irrelevant
    It could actually be a slight advantage as with so many CCS cars on the road you have a better chance of getting a fast/rapid/super fast CHAdeMO vacant (taking the charge split from the new eCars 150s or even kicking off an abandoned CCS car on current eCars 50s)....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There won't be another refresh of the LEAF, but the platform for the Ariya will underpin cars from Nissan, Mitsubishi, Renault and Infiniti. There will be a true 2nd gen successor LEAF built on this, not the bodykit and interior update that came with the LEAF 40.

You believe Nissan will abandon the hatchback EV market and leave it all to ID.3, e208 etc?

That would be a strange decision, imo. Why would they do that when they have all the money already invested and cars rolling off the line.

Its not like the Leaf is a terrible seller either....

Agreed. I would expect the Leaf as is to still be selling for some time to come. At least for the full year next year. Why not? As you say, it is selling. The car has a very serious following, mainly from previous generation Leaf owners who have been very happy with their car but need more range.

Cheapest ones on AT are about the same price as that Leaf, a bit over GBP28k asking price

Cheapest equivalent spec (2019 PremiumSE) on AT at the moment is £31595 (€34800).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Agreed. I would expect the Leaf as is to still be selling for some time to come. At least for the full year next year. Why not? As you say, it is selling. The car has a very serious following, mainly from previous generation Leaf owners who have been very happy with their car but need more range.

Not according to my local dealer. He has sold no Leafs for registration in July. It'll be interesting to see the national sales figures for July.

• Advertisement

Not according to my local dealer. He has sold no Leafs for registration in July. It'll be interesting to see the national sales figures for July.

tbf, you cant really tell anything from this years figures.

The only thing that you can compare is Jan 2020 vs 2019 and they sold exactly the same number of Leafs in that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

tbf, you cant really tell anything from this years figures.

The only thing that you can compare is Jan 2020 vs 2019 and they sold exactly the same number of Leafs in that month.

The sales figures for July would be comparable across brands. The circumstances would affect all marques in the same way.

If other brand EVs are selling and Leaf isn't, it would show in the July figures. I suppose we'll see at the end of the month.

The dealer is Nissan and Kia and he said that there was no interest in the Leaf, but loads of interest in the PHEV and BEV Niro. That's just anecdotal though.

The sales figures for July would be comparable across brands. The circumstances would affect all marques in the same way.

Not really. Depending on the OEM and where the product is coming from and when lockdown affected them etc would all play into it. It wont be the same across the board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If other brand EVs are selling and Leaf isn't, it would show in the July figures. I suppose we'll see at the end of the month.

The dealer is Nissan and Kia and he said that there was no interest in the Leaf, but loads of interest in the PHEV and BEV Niro. That's just anecdotal though.

Mine was the same when ordering, no interest in the leaf, but loads for the Kia's, although the esoul wasnt as popular as the niro.

The more i see it the more its growing on me tho..

Cheap Leaf now sold. Someone got a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Good value here if anyone is looking for a P85D

£42,594 but it's a 2016 and only 27,000 miles on the clock.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007231580282

Nice and crazy fast but no warranty (here in Ireland), no Autopilot, pre-facelift. And GBP42.6 is EUR47k landed plus about EUR2k VRT, so a EUR49k car. Not sure that is good value.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

There's a ~£28k 2014 85 for sale on AT. Decent price, and it's had its MCU replaced already. Didn't read much into it, but not sure it had too much of a spec mentioned.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007141212105

Pano roof is all that's mentioned really.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Tesla-Model-S-85D-Sub-Zero-Package-Panoramic-Sunroof-Auto-Hatchback-Elect/264804277497

What's wrong with this? It's a terrible ad, which little detail and poor pics, which would have me wondering.
    2016 85D. £32500. Was expecting to see it was damage repaired at that price.

• Advertisement

White, private sale, no warranty, no autopilot, pre-facelift. Price about right. Certainly no bargain.

Advertisement