Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    Some strong incentives over there though that we don't have. Like zero road tax and zero congestion charge for London. About time we implement something similar for Dublin. Diesel €30 per day, petrol €5 per day, EV free.

Christ you really do live in a EV bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dublin is obviously not the same size as London, but a diesel ban can't come quickly enough imho. Many other European cities already have diesel bans. But Ireland is, as always, behind. Maybe it's not me living in an EV bubble, but you stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’m not stuck in the past but unfortunately Ireland is far behind, so I’m a realist.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We've figured out how to keep the detected NOx levels below an acceptable threshold, if we don't monitor for it we can't be in breach!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Some strong incentives over there though that we don't have. Like zero road tax and zero congestion charge for London. About time we implement something similar for Dublin. Diesel €30 per day, petrol €5 per day, EV free.
    Not gonna happen within 15-20 years here. Thankfully.
    That's about as silly an idea as I'd expect from Eamon Ryan when he's awake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Congestion charge and fill the places with 2000kg EV's?

Should be no cars in the city if they want to implement congestion charges

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Congestion charge and fill the places with 2000kg EV's?

Should be no cars in the city if they want to implement congestion charges

The congestion charge is to eliminate congestion, not cars. It was also implemented to reduce congestion and pollution, EVs solve 50% of that equation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Zenith74 wrote: »
    The congestion charge is to eliminate congestion, not cars poor people in cars.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Thats all cool and everything but do we have any cheap Nissan Leaf's to discuss? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

L-M wrote: »
    Christ you really do live in a EV bubble.
    Dublin is obviously not the same size as London, but a diesel ban can't come quickly enough imho. Many other European cities already have diesel bans. But Ireland is, as always, behind. Maybe it's not me living in an EV bubble, but you stuck in the past.

Unkel and I know the science and everything behind it, feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding toxicity of diesel exhaust.

Diesel is a serious health hazard and must be eliminated ASAP from the high density inhabited areas like cities and towns. Shouldn't be allowed near schools hospitals either.

I'm OK giving petrol some time for now, much less harmful then diesel.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Unkel and I know the science and everything behind it, feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding toxicity of diesel exhaust.

Diesel is a serious health hazard and must be eliminated ASAP from the high density inhabited areas like cities and towns. Shouldn't be allowed near schools hospitals either.

I'm OK giving petrol some time for now, much less harmful then diesel.

I found this report by the EPA here fascinating on how bad NOx levels have become in Dublin in particular. I think it's especially concerning when an EPA report is recommending carrying children if walking near busy roads to keep them as far away from the pollution as you can, I mean FFS how do more people not care about this...

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/air/quality/Urban_Environmental_Indicators_2019.pdf

Getting those who could switch to EVs to do so would drop these levels into safe territory in a matter of months...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Hold on, here is an Italian report
    https://www.fundacionnaturgy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/3.-Lanzani-Madrid-090517-Milano-and-Lombardia-Air-QUality.pdf
    about Lombardy exceeding NOx levels. The report is dated 2017. Covid-19 massacred there few months ago.
    Now Dublin is exceeding those same levels and let me have a wild guess where half of all Irish Covid deaths are...?

Don't really get why we need to get rid of diesel in urban areas ASAP... no compelling argument whatsoever :-(

Pekarirska wrote: »
    Hold on, here is an Italian report
    https://www.fundacionnaturgy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/3.-Lanzani-Madrid-090517-Milano-and-Lombardia-Air-QUality.pdf
    about Lombardy exceeding NOx levels. The report is dated 2017. Covid-19 massacred there few months ago.
    Now Dublin is exceeding those same levels and let me have a wild guess where half of all Irish Covid deaths are...?

Don't really get why we need to get rid of diesel in urban areas ASAP... no compelling argument whatsoever :-(

‘Compelling’ evidence air pollution worsens coronavirus – study

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/13/compelling-evidence-air-pollution-worsens-coronavirus-study

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Where all the bargains at?

Seriously, thread is waaay off topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an aside I've been surfing UK Tesla Model S since restrictions been lifted, they have all gone up a good bit, especially CPOs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

slave1 wrote: »
    As an aside I've been surfing UK Tesla Model S since restrictions been lifted, they have all gone up a good bit, especially CPOs

CPOs used to drop ever day but this stopped about 3 weeks ago. Have been no new cars added in several weeks as well.

2015 BMW i3 asking GBP11,295 private sale. Get it for GBP11k (or a bit under) and you'll land it here for not an awful lot over €12k

73816ec0955448bf8f249a97f35b96cf.jpg

Linky

Beats the hell out of a Renault Zoe that would be a few grand less but you will have to pay battery lease on. Will keep its value way better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:
    2015 BMW i3 asking GBP11,295 private sale. Get it for GBP11k (or a bit under) and you'll land it here for not an awful lot over €12k
    60 Ah I presume?

Of course! Be difficult to find a 94Ah and get a lot of change from twenty grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Make sure it has CCS. It wasn't standard on the early models and lots of UK cars didn't have because it was mostly chademo in the uk at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

McGiver wrote: »
    60 Ah I presume?

Yes.
    94 Ah came out in late 2016.
    I sold mine 162 recently for €20k here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

That interior colour scheme is vomit inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

slave1 wrote: »

There's a certain white model S that I am selling still available on Donedeal to save you all the effort of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The one in Ballaghaderreen?

garo wrote: »
    The one in Ballaghaderreen?

no, this is richardsheil's car:

Linky

Cheapest (non crashed) Model S in the UK is GBP30k at the moment:

Linky

That seems to be the bottom at the moment. Obviously no AP1 at this price. Not a private sale, but any implied warranty that comes with a used car dealer sale is no good here of course. Get a couple hundred off and with zero VRT you will land that for under €33k here. Still a lot of car for the money, because Sterling is currently so low. With the prices holding up so well in the UK, chances are this will continue into next year, when there will no longer be any supply of cars coming from the UK. Good for current owners. Not so good for prospective owners. If I were in the market for one, I'd try get one from the UK before the end of the year. Or maybe one of the current Irish owners with cars for sale will take a realistic offer a good few thousand under their asking price...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

There's also this one on carzone:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Tesla/Model S/fpa/202007251679749

Anyone on here own it?

There's also this one on carzone:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Tesla/Model S/fpa/202007251679749

Anyone on here own it?

That's been up for sale a while now. Its reg plate was easy enough to remember so I used it a lot when ringing around for insurance quotes to get an idea. Those were the days, before my dreams were crushed.

There's also this one on carzone

That's the one garo referred to as "The one in Ballaghaderreen?"

For sale a while, the price on DD ATM is 35k, and on your link on carzone 34k. Still a bit too much imho as the car is white, pretty basic and the warranty is nearly up
    Those were the days, before my dreams were crushed.

You should crush that big gate of yours instead :pac:

• Advertisement

You should crush that big gate of yours instead :pac:

And take the pier with it too. Sure with all this WFH I barely drive the car. Can't anyways, not until it gets fixed.

Advertisement