Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Kramer wrote: »
    0.925 now :eek:.

2% change in a day!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

0.9258 now. Thanks for the alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Electric Autos have a 2012 Renault Fluence with 78% of 22 battery and claimed range of 80km. €4k.

Not on website yet but on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

handofdog wrote: »
    Electric Autos have a 2012 Renault Fluence with 78% of 22 battery and claimed range of 80km. €4k.

Not on website yet but on Facebook.

About 2-3k would be a reasonable price if it could fast charge and if it didn't have a battery lease. But it can't and it has. Not worth much more than a grand.

A Fluence for 4k is the worst bargain this thread has ever seen :p It's so bad that it would make it into the top 3 of the overpriced dreamer thread on this forum :D

unkel wrote: »
    About 2-3k would be a reasonable price if it could fast charge and if it didn't have a battery lease. But it can't and it has. Not worth much more than a grand.

A Fluence for 4k is the worst bargain this thread has ever seen :p It's so bad that it would make it into the top 3 of the overpriced dreamer thread on this forum :D

It doesn't have the lease.

Fast charge for a low range car is low priority in my opinion. Low range is fine for 2nd run around.

I would have compared it to the 3. 5k low range leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would have compared it to the 3. 5k low range leaf.

The only difference is that in the leaf, you can pull up to a fast charger and have the 60-80km range back in 30 mins. In the fluence, you’ll be waiting 7 hours for the range back.

I’m driving them since 2012 in work.

OK that's very unusual it doesn't have the lease, but it does make sense. Phil is no fool and his asking prices are usually reasonable enough (taking into account he is a trader and has to offer a warranty)

Still a bit much though as you can buy a Leaf for similar money, which has more range and it can fast charge. I totally agree with you though that this is not hugely important for most families where it is just a second car. It does make a difference though that once it's done its range, that's the end of the car until it has charged up all night taking in just 3kWh per hour of charging. If I had a Leaf and it was empty, I could drive to the fast charger around the corner and get it up to 80% in 20 minutes or so

Edit - @Gumbo - great minds and all that, you beat me to it :D

OK that's very unusual it doesn't have the lease, but it does make sense. Phil is no fool and his asking prices are usually reasonable enough (taking into account he is a trader and has to offer a warranty)

Still a bit much though as you can buy a Leaf for similar money, which has more range and it can fast charge. I totally agree with you though that this is not hugely important for most families where it is just a second car. It does make a difference though that once it's done its range, that's the end of the car until it has charged up all night taking in just 3kWh per hour of charging. If I had a Leaf and it was empty, I could drive to the fast charger around the corner and get it up to 80% in 20 minutes or so

Edit - @Gumbo - great minds and all that, you beat me to it :D

All valid points.

My nearest fast charger is approx 20km away. That's why fast charge wouldn't be high priority for me.

Horses for courses I guess.

I don't normally post here but there was a previous recent request for non tesla bargains. Feedback on Facebook for the car seemed to think it was low price so I posted here. Perhaps its not a bargain but its not a dreamer.

I have the occasional look on the Facebook page but many posters over there haven't a clue about what good value for money is. And that is putting it as diplomatically as I can :D

The owner of a very late 2015 Leaf 30kWh has just posted his car over in the for sale thread. He is asking for €9,500 and is willing to accept reasonable offers. There you have it, a non-Tesla Model S bargain in here, we don't get too many these days. As there are not many these days :)

Linky

MGMyNmJiZjk0NzZkMmM5MWE0YmU2ZDJlMDZlM2JmZjbmWo9unnEUsbEVL7tN6-UdaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTk4ZmY5ZjA4ZDk3NzU4OWU1N2QyYzlkODM3MmY2NmZmOTJmMTQ1ODJhOGViY2U1NTM0YjM3N2QyY2I5MDg2Zi5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is that price not a bit steep for a car with 2 bars gone?

I sold a 4 year old 24kWh with 1 bar gone for not much more than that 2 years ago.

It's a 30kWh. In case you missed that. Also the bars could possibly be right back if the car didn't get the software update yet. It is also top spec Tekna model, has heat pump and 6.6kWh on board charger. Has the guts of 2 years NCT and over 3 years warranty left on the battery. The 2014 Leaf you were selling has zero battery warranty left at this point. The seller doesn't do this car justice with his ad!

It's a good price as is. He takes a reasonable offer, and that would make it a bargain in my book. And as you all know, I don't give that title away that easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I got that it's a 30kWh. And the 24kWh Leaf I sold had a year's battery warranty left at that stage, was 6-12 months younger, and was also a Tekna with 6.6kw charger.

The seller should look into the software update because bargain or not, 2 missing bars are going to put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Warranty just gone on mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Also with that mileage, I suspect its already had its updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

To be fair, €4k really is nothing. You'd pay more for an ebike.

Someone with a 60/70km commute, 5 days a week, or up to double that if there was even an outdoor socket available in work, could get a few years commuting, for next to nothing.
    God, if they were commuting through tolls, they'd save 1/4 of the purchase price alone, in 2 years.

Drive it straight into a scrap yard in 3 years, after 3 years (45,000+kms) free commuting.

I think it's a bargain anyway :).

I think it's a bargain anyway :).

It's not a bargain when you can buy a Leaf with more range and fast charging for less. At about €2.5k it's a bargain. Obviously a bit more from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's not a bargain when you can buy a Leaf with more range and fast charging for less.

Where?

There's no Leaf on Donedeal for less & the closest ones are 2011 :confused:.

One sold a few weeks ago with an asking price of just €3.5k. Was tempted to buy it myself but I won't need it for another year.

You need to look a bit more often than once in a while to find a bargain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »

The seller should look into the software update because bargain or not, 2 missing bars are going to put people off.

The BMS update was done. It was down 4 bars!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where?

There's no Leaf on Donedeal for less & the closest ones are 2011 :confused:.

You need to check DoneDeal, adverts, Carzone and here daily. Sometimes a few times during the day as the proper bargains get snapped up.

Having had both cars, I would take a 2011 lead over the Fluence all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd love that fluence. Completely pointless and a terrible EV by all accounts. I have a strange gra for ridiculous cars and that one with no battery lease is very very tempting. If it's gone over the weekend it may be at my house!

Hope he does delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

KCross wrote: »
    The BMS update was done. It was down 4 bars!!

How do you know this?

JPA wrote: »
    How do you know this?

I know everything! :)

Just look back over the thread... its been for sale a while. Its been discussed before. I suggested he get it done

But if it was down 4 bars and it's only just gone over 160,000km, it would have eligible under battery warranty to have been fixed.
    But the poster had to specifically ask for the software update?

JPA wrote: »
    But if it was down 4 bars and it's only just gone over 160,000km, it would have eligible under battery warranty to have been fixed.
    But the poster had to specifically ask for the software update?

The warranty doesnt give you a new battery. All they have to do is bring it back up above 70% or something like that.

I dony know what/how he got on with Nissan..... all I know is that it was down 4 and now its only down 2 so he must have got the BMS update done for that to happen... or else he reset the BMS via LeafSpy which I doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

All EV battery warrantys are the same, you don't expect new pack, you expect pack to be where it is supposed to be after years of use, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but all along the same lines

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

KCross wrote: »
    The warranty doesnt give you a new battery. All they have to do is bring it back up above 70% or something like that.

I dony know what/how he got on with Nissan..... all I know is that it was down 4 and now its only down 2 so he must have got the BMS update done for that to happen... or else he reset the BMS via LeafSpy which I doubt.

Yes, he got the update from Nissan.

I didn't say anything about a new battery, I was just wondering if CelticFire had gone to Nissan under warranty, what they would have done, would they have consulted Head office and ended up with the same solution?

Whereas what actually happened was CelticFire told them what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anyone had a Leaf battery "fixed" by Nissan due to a warranty issue, and not just the BMS upgrade?

If they can do this, why is it Nissan Europe don't provide a full battery replacement option like they do in the US? Is it due to the cost?

Sorry if this should be in the Leaf thread

• Advertisement

The BMS update is the fix :p

Customer: "Here's my bad battery, 4 bars down which is below the threshold and it's in warranty. You replace the battery please"
    Nissan: "hold on a second, let me do a few checks" - updates software and does checks again - "battery now has only 2 bars down, it is grand, no need for a battery replacement"

Clever trick from Nissan :D #batterygate and no one is even complaining :D

Advertisement