Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gumbo wrote: »
    It can and does happen. I kept my GTi for 24 hours. My Leaf for 2 years. My i3 for a year, the Model S, we shall see.

some people will buy to experience it and move on for something else.

I just sold a phone I've had for an hour. And earlier today I sold my main watch that I had for just 3 weeks :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not quite the same as a car costing so much though.

It's not a common practice to move on a car after a short space of time. Of course it might happen with the odd car, but it would be rare to see any 6yr old car with 4 owners.

I'd say maybe the fact it's an ev might be the reason in this case. Tesla aren't cheap to buy, so maybe all the previous owners were happy to give it a go, then found it didn't suit their life and could live with the hit of letting it go.

NIMAN wrote: »

Dunno. Is it not? I sold a watch last month for near €7k after owning it for just a few months which was €1k more than I paid for it. If someone came up to me the day after I bought my Tesla and paid me €20k more than what I paid for it, I would have sold it there and then. Even though it is my ideal family car and I would have probably just bought another one (although it could have taken a long time to find another decent bargain). And almost 3 years ago I seriously considered selling my 1 year old Ioniq that I bought brand new as I could have got more for it second hand than it cost me new. Glad I didn't though as the depreciation I expected would be coming, never came

I really don't see the point reading all that into it about the number of owners. This is a very cheap Tesla with a substantial bumper to bumper Tesla warranty. If you are picky and you insist on a one car owner in mint condition in the colour you prefer, you'll end up paying GBP5k more. Which is pretty much instantly depreciated when you buy it ;)

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Now down to GBP32,200

I guess in these uncertain times a lot of people are on the fence about spending a lot of money on a car. And rightly so. That said, I admire the people who bought their first house in around 2011 when the depths of the recession made houses worth about half their normal value. Their €150k house is now worth €300k. Tax free. No capital gains tax due or any other tax.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not a common practice to move on a car after a short space of time. Of course it might happen with the odd car, but it would be rare to see any 6yr old car with 4 owners.

I'd say maybe the fact it's an ev might be the reason in this case. Tesla aren't cheap to buy, so maybe all the previous owners were happy to give it a go, then found it didn't suit their life and could live with the hit of letting it go.

In the car world it would be very common to buy and sell within a year or 6 months. I also had a vast amount of cars that I owned less than 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gumbo wrote: »
    In the car world it would be very common to buy and sell within a year or 6 months. I also had a vast amount of cars that I owned less than 12 months.
    Every car I've owned in the last 6 years has been for less than or equal to one year. Generally it's for 2-4 months.I'll have my S 1 years on Nov 6th so this is why I keep getting the itch to change

Completely not unusual at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    Dunno. Is it not? I sold a watch last month for near €7k after owning it for just a few months which was €1k more than I paid for it. If someone came up to me the day after I bought my Tesla and paid me €20k more than what I paid for it, I would have sold it there and then. Even though it is my ideal family car and I would have probably just bought another one (although it could have taken a long time to find another decent bargain). And almost 3 years ago I seriously considered selling my 1 year old Ioniq that I bought brand new as I could have got more for it second hand than it cost me new. Glad I didn't though as the depreciation I expected would be coming, never came

I really don't see the point reading all that into it about the number of owners. This is a very cheap Tesla with a substantial bumper to bumper Tesla warranty. If you are picky and you insist on a one car owner in mint condition in the colour you prefer, you'll end up paying GBP5k more. Which is pretty much instantly depreciated when you buy it ;)

no offence Unkel,

But if you cant see that you would be in the abject minority. There are not many people out there 1 - buying 7 grand watches for themselves 2- selling them nearly immediately

But hey, maybe you think this is very common, if thats the case im perplexed at your viewpoint.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Every car I've owned in the last 6 years has been for less than or equal to one year. Generally it's for 2-4 months.I'll have my S 1 years on Nov 6th so this is why I keep getting the itch to change

Completely not unusual at all

How many of your friends keep their cars for 2-4 months.....

listermint wrote: »
    How many of your friends keep their cars for 2-4 months.....

A lot actually, then again most of my friends would be of similar interests (car folk).
    Of the other "normies" they would generally change 2-3 years at a time.

That's the norm indeed, many car folk would also change at that frequency.

• Advertisement

A lot actually, then again most of my friends would be of similar interests (car folk).

So we can say probably 70/30 split 'normies' to car people? realistically

Which is my point. It isnt super common for cars to change at that frequency outside of enthusiasts . And even then it would be a bit unusual for an individual car to have gone through a rake of enthusiast and then come out to normie land.

Bearing in mind, i am a car person and i do all my own maintenance and heavily involved in cars.

I would still be sceptical of a vehicle changing multiple hands that quickly. Due to the fact i know cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

do tesla sell cars out of warranty?

no offence Unkel,

But if you cant see that you would be in the abject minority. There are not many people out there 1 - buying 7 grand watches for themselves 2- selling them nearly immediately

But hey, maybe you think this is very common, if thats the case im perplexed at your viewpoint.

No I agree with you this is not the norm. But that said, I see no issue at all with a car with more than average number of owners (or more than average miles for that matter) if the car is still under full warranty for quite some time and you get GBP5k off

The fool would buy the car costing thousands more but has 1 owner and low mileage. Because his friends in the pub told him that was important in a car ;)

So we can say probably 70/30 split 'normies' to car people? realistically

Which is my point. It isnt super common for cars to change at that frequency outside of enthusiasts . And even then it would be a bit unusual for an individual car to have gone through a rake of enthusiast and then come out to normie land.

Bearing in mind, i am a car person and i do all my own maintenance and heavily involved in cars.

I would still be sceptical of a vehicle changing multiple hands that quickly. Due to the fact i know cars.

Yes I agree on this, if you see multiple owners on a car that are more than 2 in 3-4 years it is a risk factor.

That risk factor is mitigated if it's a newish car that's still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Idbatterim wrote: »
    do tesla sell cars out of warranty?

No. If there is no warranty left it will be 1 year / 10k miles minimun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

jhegarty wrote: »
    No. If there is no warranty left it will be 1 year / 10k miles minimun.

right, wonder what that car will go for, when the tesla warranty expires and its sold privately or by non tesla dealer...

Only private persons can sell a car without warranty.

And from cars in this thread, the difference between the cheapest oldest Tesla CPO cars (with Tesla CPO warranty) and private sellers cars (with zero warranty except the remaining Tesla warranty on battery and drivetrain) is something like GBP30k vs GBP27k

Very little difference really. And I bet almost every buyer of an older Tesla Model S would pay a few grand extra for the warranty, it's just that the supply of these is almost non-existent. Maybe one GBP30-35k Tesla CPO car every 2-3 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Only private persons can sell a car without warranty.

This was a point I meant to bring up. Looking at zucars, they dont offer a warranty unless you pay extra.
    I was flabbergasted...
    Thought all dealers had to offer one?For recent cars now,few years old only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Now down to GBP32,200

I guess in these uncertain times a lot of people are on the fence about spending a lot of money on a car. And rightly so. That said, I admire the people who bought their first house in around 2011 when the depths of the recession made houses worth about half their normal value. Their €150k house is now worth €300k. Tax free. No capital gains tax due or any other tax.

31.9k now. If I hadn't bought one already I would be seriously tempted. Sucks though that they've reduced the warranty to 1 year. Two weeks ago it would have been 2 years and 29k miles. And with the CoVid restrictions you have less driving done to find all the in-warranty faults.

phill106 wrote: »
    This was a point I meant to bring up. Looking at zucars, they dont offer a warranty unless you pay extra.
    I was flabbergasted...
    Thought all dealers had to offer one?For recent cars now,few years old only.

Doesn't work like that, unless you sign a waiver that you bought the car as a trade sale with no warranty. Basically a specific contract.

If you sign no such thing and the car breaks down a couple of months later, the dealer will have to either refund you, replace the car or repair it. Their choice. If they don't, you can take them to (the small claims) court and you will win your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Doesn't work like that, unless you sign a waiver that you bought the car as a trade sale with no warranty. Basically a specific contract.

If you sign no such thing and the car breaks down a couple of months later, the dealer will have to either refund you, replace the car or repair it. Their choice. If they don't, you can take them to (the small claims) court and you will win your case.

And that is what i had been saying on the phone, but the "salesman" only offered warranty at a cost.
    Details here https://www.zucar.ie/service-parts-repair/warranty/
    Now it does have a 30 day warranty but come on, thats nothing...

phill106 wrote: »
    And that is what i had been saying on the phone, but the "salesman" only offered warranty at a cost.
    Details here https://www.zucar.ie/service-parts-repair/warranty/
    Now it does have a 30 day warranty but come on, thats nothing...

A 30 day warranty has no basis in Irish law. If something major fails after 30 days, you bought from a dealer and you will have statutory protection. Now getting yourself sorted is another matter of course. Generally probably a better bet is to steer clear of these sort of cowboys and just buy privately (at your own risk)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

2014 S coming down in price finally.
    £25750. Nothing fancy on it though from what I can see. Air suspension is the only mentioned extra. Free SC too.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009214001169

Very cheap, but white, high miles (although that isn't all that important on an EV known to have very little battery degradation) and no warranty. I guess if that's all your budget stretches to, it's a decent buy. Personally I'd try go for the Tesla CPO car with AP1 for GBP32k, but yeah, that is nearly GBP7k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Love to hate to see it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Remember it still has battery warranty until 2022 so not a full blown “risk”

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Here's another one, grab a bargain folks. Tesla CPO Model S, AP1, 1 year / 16000km warranty, dual chargers for 23kW AC charging, GBP30,500

Late 2014 car so over 2 years warranty left on battery and drivetrain, regardless of mileage

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What sort of range are Those Tesla's realistically giving?
    I see that listed as 312miles, which is 500km.
    Do the Tesla sales people overestimate like all the EV dealers do?

What size of battery have they got?
    Must be some weight in them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What sort of range are Those Tesla's realistically giving?
    I see that listed as 312miles, which is 500km.
    Do the Tesla sales people overestimate like all the EV dealers do?

What size of battery have they got?
    Must be some weight in them!

The ad says it’s an S85 so it’s an 85 kWh battery.

312 mile range is NEDC.

• Advertisement

426km is the EPA range (if memory serves me), but it's 6 years old, so you will have lost a little bit due to degradation. Originally it had 78kWh available.

I reckon city / country road driving you get about 400km. At 120km/h GPS speed on the motorway you'd get about 300km (in good weather)

Advertisement