Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

When everyone keeps saying their insurance on their S is 3-500 and i'm getting quotes of double that it's an unreasonable premium.

Insurance depends on the person. Some people get extremely cheap insurance through work schemes that would not be available to you.

details?

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

When everyone keeps saying their insurance on their S is 3-500 and i'm getting quotes of double that it's an unreasonable premium.

Once insurers realise just how expensive & time consuming repairs to Teslas are here (see Richard's Model 3 crash video) & further realise they aren't like Leafs (golf cart like), expect Tesla premiums to increase significantly.

I'd consider €6/700 very reasonable for expensive to repair/high performance/likely to be targeted by thieves, Tesla cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    Once insurers realise just how expensive & time consuming repairs to Teslas are here (see Richard's Model 3 crash video) & further realise they aren't like Leafs (golf cart like), expect Tesla premiums to increase significantly.

I'd consider €6/700 very reasonable for expensive to repair/high performance/likely to be targeted by thieves, Tesla cars.

Well it's all based on risk and cost of replacement. The cost of replacement for a Tesla is quite high granted, but is the risk really higher than say a high spec BMW or Audi?

Also it's worth noting that a lot of the Tesla's that appear in this thread are older Model S's that have depreciated considerably from their original value. In this case, the insurance company is going to pay what they reckon the car was worth, which I'll wager would be under 30k

Regarding the theft issue, I read recently that there was a criminal gang recently broken up that targeted EVs. They preferred taking Leafs because the security on them is garbage. So I wouldn't say a Tesla is higher risk just because its higher value

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Did you find a Model S you like? I was in the same position as you 6 weeks ago. The cheapest I found was 123.ie at 507 but they wouldn't accept UK reg for new business. I went with Axa which is frightfully expensive. Try AIG they might give you a more reasonable quote but still in the 600-700 bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Well it's all based on risk and cost of replacement.

In Richard's case, the issues were the difficulty & lead time sourcing replacement parts, the fact only a few dealers are authorised/trained to work on Teslas (safety around HV batteries etc.) & costs associated with providing a replacement car for the duration of the repair.

I would expect a more mainstream car in that incident would be repaired at any amount of workshops, in a fraction of the time & at far less cost.

This will inevitably feed back to the underwriters, in time & be reflected in increasing Tesla premiums IMO.

There's also no doubt 500hp cars in the hands of younger/more inexperienced/women drivers (:P), will lead to more "own damage" claims.

Basically, what I'm saying is stick with a Leaf if insurance cost is a consideration :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine is around 800 on my S. But then I had 5 points (now expired so expecting reduction next year) and a claim in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Another six year old Tesla with no warranty good bargain here.

£30k for a 2014 AP1 S85. But it only has 17,000 miles done.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010285532836

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jhegarty wrote: »

Poof, it's gone

Bargain, that was quick. Hope someone in here got it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

jhegarty wrote: »

Now re-listed for just £35,990 :D
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010295563869

Gotta love scalpers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Matqo wrote: »

It's also called the free market - its good to remember this every time one goes into a shop and pays double whatever it cost the retailer to purchase.

pdpmur wrote: »
    It's also called the free market - its good to remember this every time one goes into a shop and pays double whatever it cost the retailer to purchase.

Double? :D:p

A €30 t-shirt cost the retailer less than €1 locally where it was made

But yeah, this is our capitalist system, you are right. A business can and should only sell something if they can make a profit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They aren't guaranteed to make a 5k profit, so it's a risk for them.

If I had 30k lying around I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car I didn't intend to drive in the hope I could flip it for 5k more. Cars ar3 rarely a good investment.

So fair play to them. If they get 35k for it, well done. If they are sitting with it in 3 months and have to let it go for 29k, it won't seem like such a good idea.

It looks like a dealer. The car was originally underpriced so I am pretty sure they will not lose money on this deal.

Matqo wrote: »

Scalper?

Enterprise more like

The guys who stand at concert gates selling tickets also show enterprise.

Couple of low mileage Zoes 40kWh, still under manufacturer's warranty, getting there now for reasonable money

2018 dealer asking €16,950

linky

2019 dealer asking €17,995

linky

unkel wrote: »
    Couple of low mileage Zoes 40kWh, still under manufacturer's warranty, getting there now for reasonable money

2018 dealer asking €16,950

linky

2019 dealer asking €17,995

linky

I'm always deeply suspicious of Zoe ads that don't mention of it has fast charging or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I'm always deeply suspicious of Zoe ads that don't mention of it has fast charging or not

Was it an option?

• Advertisement

Zoes did not have fast charging until the current 2020 50kWh model got CCS DC charging. Although some say some previous Zoes had fast charging (43kW AC) and others would argue all Zoes ever made have fast charging (minimum 22kW AC) :pac:

McGiver wrote: »
    Was it an option?
    43kW Fast AC was an option. 22kW AC was standard.

McGiver wrote: »
    Was it an option?

Hmm, I thought the ze40 had the option of ccs charging.

I could be wrong, there are so many versions of the Zoe that came out at roughly the same time it gets pretty confusing

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010245377624

The first 90D I have seen. Bargain if car is as described and doesn't have any issues.

I could be wrong, there are so many versions of the Zoe that came out at roughly the same time it gets pretty confusing
    No, the ZE50 was the first one with CCS

ZE40 came with either 22kW or rareish option 43kW which charged at around 35kW in the real world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

garo wrote: »
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010245377624

The first 90D I have seen. Bargain if car is as described and doesn't have any issues.

Great price, no CPO warranty, single charger as cons but a great price, the Dual Motor 90 on 19s is the absolute sweet spot in terms of range.
    Amazed that guy didn't sell it a few months back with a small bit of warranty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Single owner too so if you can get full work history and the seller is genuine it would make a tasty bargain. I would buy it if I was in the market.

I could be wrong

Did you miss my post? :)

Zoe did not get CCS until the 2020 50kWh model

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are the batteries owned or leased on Zoes?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are the batteries owned or leased on Zoes?
    Can be either.

Advertisement