Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kramer wrote: »
    I reckon unkel would have ripped out his dual chargers & fitted them to your Model S for a hell of a lot less than that :D.

unkel, you missed a trick - you could have downgraded from 22kW to 11kW charging & pocketed €1,500 :)

Indeed. I'll do it for €1,200 :pac:

Here's a very sweet deal. Tesla Model S 2017 facelift model with AP2 for GBP37989 from a dealer (so with warranty) with good feedback

Pretty base spec S75 by the look of things, but it's a 67 reg, which means the car has only just gone 3 years old

44f58a85dac0465dbd915e018c0ced30.jpg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I wonder what dealer warranty means in the context. Good feedback for the dealer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Must have been one of the last non dual motor 75s, sexy wheels on her

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Is an MG ZS EV for under £19k sterling before importation a bargain?

Pre-registered Excite for £18950, pre-reg Exclusive for £20450 from Vic Young in South Shields (beside Newcastle upon Tyne).
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009193933491
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010305601214

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »
    Is an MG ZS EV for under £19k sterling before importation a bargain?

It is in my book. Very competent budget Chinese EV for budget money. Problem is the car needs to be AND 6 months old AND have 6k km on it if you want to import it and not suffer the Irish 21% VAT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

unkel wrote: »
    It is in my book. Very competent budget Chinese EV for budget money. Problem is the car needs to be AND 6 months old AND have 6k km on it if you want to import it and not suffer the Irish 21% VAT on it.

Or exported VAT free from the UK before the shit hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How come the mgs are so cheap ?
    I mean they're 2020 cars with 10 miles on the clock..
    And electric cars are in demand ...
    I though they were about 26 / 27 grand new ...
    It does seem a shame no one doing them here ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Markcheese wrote: »

Yet.
    Frank Keane supposed to be bringing them to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

3 stars in the crash test rating. Not great.

Review here:
    https://www.whatcar.com/mg-motor-uk/zs/hatchback/review/n17318/buying-owning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

3 stars in the crash test rating. Not great.

Review here:
    https://www.whatcar.com/mg-motor-uk/zs/hatchback/review/n17318/buying-owning

The zs ev has a 5 star rating

Yet.
    Frank Keane supposed to be bringing them to Ireland.

Wow , anyone want to guess what retail price would be .. ? Just under e30,000 for the base model ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

https://uk.motor1.com/news/452543/mg-returns-to-ireland-with-zs-ev/

Mg returns to Ireland ... ( As said above ) , bit light on details though ..

It's approx 26 and a bit thousand Euro , without the uk vat and without uk grants ,on the mg uk website ( I just put their sterling figure through a currency converter so not super accurate ) ,
    So not sure what that would equate to here , ( I know there'll be other costs of doing business in Ireland to add )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Whoops - am based in NI so forgot about those conditions. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. I was quite interested in these when they first came out but was put off by a few things that came up in reviews that made me think it wouldn't be a great car to live with, e.g. lack of lumbar support for the driver, awkward access to the charging port, lots of bings and bongs accompanying driver info/prompts etc.

Even though these ones won't meet the criteria for importation into RoI without paying the 21% VAT, at least they serve as a benchmark for price comparison. A rough estimate of the cost to import, allowing 10% of an exchange rate differential and adding 21% VAT, would be €25220 for the Excite or €27220 for the Exclusive, plus the cost of getting it over. So if the new official dealership ends up charging e.g. more than a grand higher than those figures, it could still be worth someone's while.

These particular ones are pre-registered, i.e. the dealership sold them to itself and put its own name as the first owner, probably to keep sales figures on target in order to trigger a bonus from MG. It means that officially they're already one-owner cars, so not "brand-new" even if they only have delivery miles.

A rough estimate of the cost to import, allowing 10% of an exchange rate differential and adding 21% VAT, would be €25220 for the Excite

Should be cheaper as the subsidy for new EVs here is higher than in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Whoops - am based in NI so forgot about those conditions. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. I was quite interested in these when they first came out but was put off by a few things that came up in reviews that made me think it wouldn't be a great car to live with, e.g. lack of lumbar support for the driver, awkward access to the charging port, lots of bings and bongs accompanying driver info/prompts etc.

Even though these ones won't meet the criteria for importation into RoI without paying the 21% VAT, at least they serve as a benchmark for price comparison. A rough estimate of the cost to import, allowing 10% of an exchange rate differential and adding 21% VAT, would be €25220 for the Excite or €27220 for the Exclusive, plus the cost of getting it over. So if the new official dealership ends up charging e.g. more than a grand higher than those figures, it could still be worth someone's while.

These particular ones are pre-registered, i.e. the dealership sold them to itself and put its own name as the first owner, probably to keep sales figures on target in order to trigger a bonus from MG. It means that officially they're already one-owner cars, so not "brand-new" even if they only have delivery miles.

You can fill out vat411 and get the vat off for export. They need to be ‘new means of transport’ - Ie less than 6 months old or less than 6000kms on the clock. You’d be a brave sole to buy one with no dealer in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Casati wrote: »
    You can fill out vat411 and get the vat off for export. They need to be ‘new means of transport’ - Ie less than 6 months old or less than 6000kms on the clock. You’d be a brave sole to buy one with no dealer in Ireland

Sorry I've been skimming, but why are we talking about import, since Mr Chips said he\she is in NI?

I'm not looking at buying one myself - had posted the links last night thinking it might suit someone, but forgot about the 6 months/6000 km requirement for importing into the south without paying VAT. However, as I subsequently queried, it may still be worthwhile for someone looking for a mid-range, spacious EV if the new main dealer in the south charges significantly more than the VAT-inclusive importation cost of the ones I linked. The fact that there's about to be an official MG dealership in the south should eliminate any issue of buying with no dealer support for warranty issues - at least, while the UK continues to be effectively part of the UK single market, i.e. until the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm not looking at buying one myself - had posted the links last night thinking it might suit someone, but forgot about the 6 months/6000 km requirement for importing into the south without paying VAT. However, as I subsequently queried, it may still be worthwhile for someone looking for a mid-range, spacious EV if the new main dealer in the south charges significantly more than the VAT-inclusive importation cost of the ones I linked. The fact that there's about to be an official MG dealership in the south should eliminate any issue of buying with no dealer support for warranty issues - at least, while the UK continues to be effectively part of the UK single market, i.e. until the end of the year.

I read somewhere that because the UK will soon be outside the EU VAT zone, but NI won't, that cars imported into NI from the UK will be liable for VAT payment to the EU

I'm guessing this is the case only if there is a no-deal, but it'd be a good idea to clarify the situation, I'm guessing the UK will give some sort of VAT back deal but will it extend to private buyers?

Assuming it does, or there is some other way to bring in vehicles to NI without paying VAT, then there could be a nice loophole there to bypass the soon to be 21% VAT for importing a used car into the Republic from UK.

If someone bought a car new in NI and had it shipped from the UK, then drove it until it reaches 6000km or 6 months, then in theory it could be exported to Ireland as a used car and not incur VAT

It'd still be liable for VRT and probably import tax, but it might make used car imports viable again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I read somewhere that because the UK will soon be outside the EU VAT zone, but NI won't

Where did you read that?

Last time I looked NI was still in the UK :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but there's a special case situation for NI. Part of the approved backstop was that a grey area for NI was created with the border down the irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I didn't think the backstop was a done deal at all? Revenue site seems to think it is.

Crazy imho. There will be a lot of "middle men" in the north handling car sales from mainland UK into Ireland as they can then bypass VAT / import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It's not if the UK welshes on the deal as they are threatening to. It is law at the moment because of what was written in the withdrawl agreement. But if the UK rejects it and we end up in a no-deal situation the Revenue site will be wrong.

What's the story on a dealer importing setting like 1 of those pre-registered mgs from the north ?
    Does he have to pay uk vat ?
    If at less than 6 months and 10 miles is it classed as a new vehicle from a grant point of view ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

What's the story on a dealer importing setting like 1 of those pre-registered mgs from the north ?
    Does he have to pay uk vat ?
    If at less than 6 months and 10 miles is it classed as a new vehicle from a grant point of view ..

The law is very clear they are ‘new means of transport’. You get form vat411 filled out and you buy it vat free for export. Irish vat is due when registering here.

Many posters In similar threads have incorrectly stated you have to pay Vat twice

2013 Leaf asking €3,950. High miler, but from a garage, so with warranty. Doesn't mention how many bars left. Get a few hundred quid off and you have a very low total cost of ownership motor with extremely low running costs. Claim your €600 subsidy for a home charge point too, so if you're clever you can have that installed free of charge. Decent entry into EVnomics :)

Linky

2013 Leaf asking €3,950. High miler, but from a garage, so with warranty. Doesn't mention how many bars left. Get a few hundred quid off and you have a very low total cost of ownership motor with extremely low running costs. Claim your €600 subsidy for a home charge point too, so if you're clever you can have that installed free of charge. Decent entry into EVnomics :)

Linky

Nice looking ,low mileage car ..
    It seems good value too, but the seller know it's cheap , and has made no mention of battery health ,or even put up a photo. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

With that mileage I would expect to have 8-9 bars left. So yes of course the range would be quite limited. Still perfect for a lot of people as a second family car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks like its down to 5 bars so down 55% :eek:

About 10kWh usable.

Advertisement