Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question for you Tesla owners.

I often see AP mentioned, which I assume is the option of letting the car drive itself? It seems to be mentioned a lot as a bonus to have.

Wondering do any of you actually use it, rather than driving the car yourself?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Isn't autopilot disabled when you sell the car? Or is that FSD?

Nope. Nothing like that. Silly pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question for you Tesla owners.

I often see AP mentioned, which I assume is the option of letting the car drive itself? It seems to be mentioned a lot as a bonus to have.

AP is basically adaptive cruise control with lane keeping. It's handy on motorways but many cars these days do that. It's a nice feature.

RonnieL wrote: »
    What motorway range would you expect on it, say in winter on a cold windy day. Would it do Galway to Dublin without having to stop?

What car? The 75D?

From where in Dublin to where in Galway?
    What’s the distance etc?

I doubt my 85 would do that trip so the smaller 75 should struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Gumbo wrote: »
    What car? The 75D?

From where in Dublin to where in Galway?
    What’s the distance etc?

I doubt my 85 would do that trip so the smaller 75 should struggle?

Sorry, I was wondering about that 75D. From one end of the M6 to the other essentially. 214KM. Driving at the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Time to get the jackhammer out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sorry, I was wondering about that 75D. From one end of the M6 to the other essentially. 214KM. Driving at the speed limit.

My 2015 Model S85 would do that with guts of 100kms to spare, I did Athlone-Dromoland return earlier this year at speed limit no bother and that's 262kms door to door

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same here. 2014 P85 85kWh and did Dublin to near Spiddal (west of Galway) with about 35% to spare. 5 of us in the car, luggage, dog. I always drive at at least the speed limit when safe to do so. Even in winter you should be fine. Newer S75 D has similar range.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My S90D would do that 214km and get back to Ionity Athlone I'd say.
    The S75D was a great car for range and efficiency. The only real downfall it had was the lower pack voltage, so it charged slower at non Tesla DC sites

I done about 190km at above speed limit speeds when I bought mine in June. Empty roads, about 9pm at night.
    I estimated there was about 50-60km left in the tab based on that trip at that speed.

If I dropped to the posted speed limit then no problem I’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Isn't autopilot disabled when you sell the car? Or is that FSD?

Only when it's sold back to Tesla. They may disable/enable Autopilot/FSD depending on what suites them.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Only when it's sold back to Tesla. They may disable/enable Autopilot/FSD depending on what suites them.

Is that even true?

If you look at ABRP I think you will find that Tesla is very efficient at high speed, AFAIR dropping from 120kms/hr to 1100km's hour for that long trip I did only improved range by 2%.
    In other words if you are in a Tesla and on the motorway it's speed limit all the way, no (range/efficiency) reason to drive slower (safety etc aside)

jhegarty wrote: »
    Is that even true?

I've only heard of them getting rid of free supercharging/premium connectivity, never heard AP/FSD being disabled across this/UK/US forums, never

Is that even true?
    Yes

My 2016 S was sold with free lifetime supercharging in 2016. When I bought it from Tesla last year as CPO, the free Supercharging was removed (and I knew this before buying)

They do the same thing for premium connectivity and FSD now.

slave1 wrote: »
    If you look at ABRP I think you will find that Tesla is very efficient at high speed, AFAIR dropping from 120kms/hr to 1100km's hour for that long trip I did only improved range by 2%.
    In other words if you are in a Tesla and on the motorway it's speed limit all the way, no (range/efficiency) reason to drive slower (safety etc aside)

I find there is an increase in consumption noticeable dropping from 120 to 100 or lower only. So, unless I'm really stretching it for range, I just drive at the posted speed limits.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes

My 2016 S was sold with free lifetime supercharging in 2016. When I bought it from Tesla last year as CPO, the free Supercharging was removed (and I knew this before buying)

They do the same thing for premium connectivity and FSD now.

No I knew about the SuC and Connectivity, I specifically replied to the removal of FSD. I heard the rumours but haven’t heard of it actually
    Happening yet.

One of very very few ENiros 2nd hand, and a bargain in my eyes. Cheaper than what a boardsie got as a trade in recently.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-e-lr-5dr-auto-fully-electric/26626110

192, white, 64kWh battery, €32k.

The freaky part! It's Mooneys! They love overpricing Ioniqs, yet this niro is cheap

Bit of a bargain from them! Perhaps they are pricing it at what they reckon a similar Kona is worth, but the eNiro is holding its value better as it just is a better car for similar money when new

Next cheapest eNiro is €35k (but it's a 2020)

unkel wrote: »
    Bit of a bargain from them! Perhaps they are pricing it at what they reckon a similar Kona is worth, but the eNiro is holding its value better as it just is a better car for similar money when new

33k was the trade in value I heard, for a 192, about 3 months ago. Few k profit for the dealer and you're at 35k. Local dealer here wanted 38k (before any negotiating) for a 192, saying they're over 40 new. Ignoring that in 2019 they were 38k new.

Anyone looking for a Niro, grab it.

• Advertisement

+1

Anyone looking for a very long range EV with a long warranty for relatively little money, grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

33k was the trade in value I heard, for a 192, about 3 months ago. Few k profit for the dealer and you're at 35k. Local dealer here wanted 38k (before any negotiating) for a 192, saying they're over 40 new. Ignoring that in 2019 they were 38k new.

The outside looks aren't great but I really love the interior it's a beautiful colour leather. That interior light would have to be changed to an led. What sort of range would it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-e-ascenta-5-door-auto/26510103

This leaf seems suspiciously cheaper than others of the same vintage or am I missing something?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The outside looks aren't great but I really love the interior it's a beautiful colour leather. That interior light would have to be changed to an led. What sort of range would it have?

They look decent for their money and range.

Motorway you'd probably be 300km handy. Mixed is probably more like 400km. A softly softly driver probably get 500km (obviously not if they're using motorways).

Don't fuss about lights. If you want a 300-450km range mini (it's plentiful enough in space to be fair) SUV, call them now and put a deposit on it and view as soon as you can. It won't hang around

somedood wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-e-ascenta-5-door-auto/26510103

This leaf seems suspiciously cheaper than others of the same vintage or am I missing something?

Not really. Very unpopular colour and very undesirable reg (to most people), short NCT, no mention of granny cable, no mention of charger - probably a ridiculously slow 3.3kW one and a private sale, so with no come back at all on any of the parts that are now all out of warranty (including the battery)

Priced about right.

A lot of dreamers out there looking for silly money for their second hand Leafs...

For comparison you can get the same car with a D reg with a granny cable, a long NCT and a warranty from a reputable second hand EV seller (electricautos.ie) for the same money. It is one year older, but a better deal all around.

£26.5k Tesla Model S

Linky

If you got a decent value transporter to bring it over here, you'd have it on Irish plates for under €30k, provided of course you can get all that done before a no deal brexit would kick in.

Fierce basic early model though, and I know mileage is not as relevant in an EV but 243k kms is a lot.
    I'd skip, no AP either.
    Only thing that would sway me is could you get in contact with owner to see documented work done to date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »

Purely spitballing here but what marks the Niro as better than the Kona, i would presume them to be prety much the same? Thinking of a change and want to weigh up electric as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Purely spitballing here but what marks the Niro as better than the Kona, i would presume them to be prety much the same? Thinking of a change and want to weigh up electric as an option.

The Niro has a much nicer cabin, with a lot more room in the cabin and boot than the Kona. It also has more tech, including adaptive cruise control, auto emergency braking and adaptive regenerative braking.

The batteries are also from different manufacturers, with the Niro having the better pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is nearly €30000 for a car about to turn 7yrs old really a bargain?

For a very small number of people perhaps, but for 95% of us, definitely not.

Maybe we need a separate TESLAs FOR SALE thread for those!

Advertisement