Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Having been in both the Kona is tiny, real small car, small boot, small rear passenger space, eNiro much more practical

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is nearly €30000 for a car about to turn 7yrs old really a bargain?

For a very small number of people perhaps, but for 95% of us, definitely not.

Maybe we need a separate TESLAs FOR SALE thread for those!

Wouldn't worry about it, just a month to go for UK imports and the Tesla's are all but done and dusted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A bargain is a good price for a given car, this is not a cheapo EVs thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

slave1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about it, just a month to go for UK imports and the Tesla's are all but done and dusted

Nothing is set in stone yet re: Brexit and imports.....time will tell.

A lot could change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Maybe we need a separate TESLAs FOR SALE thread for those!

Careful now, you're not allowed diss the 30 grand 7/8 year old Teslas on here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Reminds me of the many similar threads we had on the motors forum back when I was a regular.

"Why would you recommend a 6 year old BMW 7-series when for the same total cost of ownership you could have a 2 year old Toyota Corolla diesel, still under warranty?"

Each to their own.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Buying the Tesla/7 series keeps you a regular poster here. The corolla will just work and be boring, so no need to post about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    Reminds me of the many similar threads we had on the motors forum back when I was a regular.

"Why would you recommend a 6 year old BMW 7-series when for the same total cost of ownership you could have a 2 year old Toyota Corolla diesel, still under warranty?"

Each to their own.

The 6 year old BMW wouldn't have been 30 grand though..............

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

liamog wrote: »
    A bargain is a good price for a given car, this is not a cheapo EVs thread.

True.

It's also not a bargain either .

So that's an apt description.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

listermint wrote: »
    The 6 year old BMW wouldn't have been 30 grand though..............

2014 M5 - €40k
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26324749

No point comparing the price of a Tesla with the prices of a similar aged leaf, ioniq or similar budget family car.

I don’t get the hatred, especially from posters with no interest in EV’s :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    No point comparing the price of a Tesla with the prices of a.......similar budget family car.

On the contrary, I think it's fair to compare similarly priced EVs/cars. Many would be thinking of an older Model S, a newer normal EV (eNiro etc.) or even new Model 3 SR+. All in the same ballpark with pros & cons, but it's a consideration for many.

Kramer wrote: »
    On the contrary, I think it's fair to compare similarly priced EVs/cars. Many would be thinking of an older Model S, a newer normal EV (eNiro etc.) or even new Model 3 SR+. All in the same ballpark with pros & cons, but it's a consideration for many.

100%, this is the exact choice I had, eNiro vs M3 vs 2014/2015 MS and the 2015 MS won because much more practical car and waaaay cheaper than the other two (other criteria too obviously)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kramer wrote: »

Not really, those considering a 2014 Model S would not be considering a Kona, Leaf or similar at all in my opinion. You’ve edited my post to make it look like similar budgets for cars. I’m calling the leaf, ioniq a budget car. Not comparing the budgets of buying a similarly priced car.

The same reason when I went out to buy an Evo, I didn’t look at similarly priced opel astras at the time, the same reason why those going to view that 142 M5 won’t be calling me to view my 142 520d at less than half the price.

They are 2 completely different cars. Nowhere on earth would you compare a performance car with an eco box whether they are ICE or EV.

Different strokes for different folks.

Anyhow, back to the bargains

2016 90D £32.5, MCU1 recent replacement, 81.5k mileage, private seller, ad just posted and photos to follow...

quick quick quick

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011276534880

No pics, probably rough, probably not a facelift model, but has AP1 and very cheap!

GBP34k for a 2016 S 60 without autopilot?

Nah...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see a lot of adverts for cars like this now, where they are parked outside some mansion or castle.

I wonder do they pay the owners to allow them to photograph there to make it look fancier?:D

It was more the 2019 claim I was on about.

Different bargain of sorts:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015TKPT1A?tag=camelanonalerts-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

NOCO Boost Sport GB20 500 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Booster for £59 (delivery via parcel motel/wizard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

https://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=972c5bda-5636-eb11-89e8-f01fafd9cf1d

Might be worth a punt for those interested. Eco cars Athlone had it for sale at 36k earlier in the year. Note it's the Executive edition. No idea about AP or any extras.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012056811406

27,490 from a dealer. No AP and 129k miles. But 2014 P85 7 seater with tech pack, sub-zero pack, free SC, free connectivity and leather interior.

That P is gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

garo wrote: »
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012056811406

27,490 from a dealer. No AP and 129k miles. But 2014 P85 7 seater with tech pack, sub-zero pack, free SC, free connectivity and leather interior.

What is the story with warranty on these? I guess manufacturer is gone?

Might be worth a punt for those interested. Eco cars Athlone had it for sale at 36k earlier in the year. Note it's the Executive edition. No idea about AP or any extras.

He's had it for sale for most of this year. Offered my a ridiculously good trade in on my Ioniq on it back in March, but that was after I'd already bought a Tesla from the UK and I needed to shift the Ioniq quickly. Would not have suited me anyway as we are a family of 5 and that car only has 4 seats.

What is the story with warranty on these? I guess manufacturer is gone?

Battery, motor and drivetrain warranty is 8 years with unlimited mileage from Tesla themselves. That car is sold by a dealer, which implies a warranty of at least 3 months. Not sure how good that is for a buyer over here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

unkel wrote: »
    Battery, motor and drivetrain warranty is 8 years with unlimited mileage from Tesla themselves. That car is sold by a dealer, which implies a warranty of at least 3 months. Not sure how good that is for a buyer over here though.

With the suspect quality of Tesla is this not a ticking time bomb? if I look online the price for replacements seems very high. Can you buy additional warranty from Tesla or just run the risk is my question?

With the suspect quality of Tesla is this not a ticking time bomb? if I look online the price for replacements seems very high. Can you buy additional warranty from Tesla or just run the risk is my question?

You can't buy additional warranty from Tesla afaik.

I bought my Tesla when it was nearly 6 years old and I got a 2 year warranty because I bought it from Tesla themselves. I'm glad I did get their warranty as in the 9 months I have owned the car now, several things have been fixed under warranty. Older Teslas are not very well built cars. There are several (mostly well known) issues with them.

And I'm not a particularly risk averse person, I have bought old V8 petrol BMWs and Porsches out of warranty in private sales before, without even having them checked out by a mechanic first. Almost all cars I ever bought were private sales

Be interesting to see what that goes for, hopefully whomever buys it knows what they are getting, a permanent four seater and the rear seats don’t fold, very silly variant

• Advertisement

Might make a good taxi or Limo service car. When new the executive variant was 11k GBP more than the normal car. Insane!
    Feel bad for the dealer. Having capital in that car tied up for almost a year must have hurt. slave1, I believe you cited this car in your VRT appeal?

Advertisement