Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

garo wrote: »
    Might make a good taxi or Limo service car. When new the executive variant was 11k GBP more than the normal car. Insane!
    Feel bad for the dealer. Having capital in that car tied up for almost a year must have hurt. slave1, I believe you cited this car in your VRT appeal?

I did for my appeal :D

And I told same to many people who PM'd me for advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Full disclaimer: So did I!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, I used this one alright, hopefully someone will keep an eye tomorrow morning, I’ll guess €32.5k

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm not surprised the dealer gave up on that one, I am surprised it took so long.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

2017 model s 75
    77k miles
    Kinda basic

But cheap for the year

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012066833197

£30500

• Advertisement

It has 67 plates, so from late 2017, so only just gone 3 years old, plenty of Tesla bumper to bumper warranty left, even though it's a private sale. Bargain at that price. Also I'm not quite sure how to find out, but that car could possibly have the hardware for AP2? Just over €2k to have Tesla Ireland enable AutoPilot. And if it has the newer hardware, this system will improve over time (unlike AP1)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

2017 model s 75
    77k miles
    Kinda basic

But cheap for the year

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012066833197

£30500

I've been following this thread for over 2 years, ever since I test drove a model S at work. Before that I had no real interest in cars, so it's probably madness. Still, this looks like an excellent deal.

Some questions for the people in the know here:
    • How long would this take to charge with a granny cable?
    • How would you suggest going about purchasing from here? I'm thinking make a call, agree a price, pay a deposit, have it checked by dekra or someone, then arrange to have it transported back?
    • Very interested in the comment about AP/AP2 - anyone else know if that could be confirmed somehow?

RonnieL wrote: »
    How long would this take to charge with a granny cable?

From empty to full roughly 75kWh battery capacity / 2kW granny charging = 38 hours :p

In other words, you'd need to get a 7kW home charge point. And even with that, you can not charge the whole battery up from the night rate, which is only a period of 9 hours
    How would you suggest going about purchasing from here? I'm thinking make a call, agree a price, pay a deposit, have it checked by dekra or someone, then arrange to have it transported back?

Some people on here have done it recently during the current no-travel COVID situation and I think it's pretty much like that. The car is under full warranty, so perhaps not that much need to have it professionally checked out (at great expense)

Cheers - I actually have a home charger for my 2014 leaf 24, so this would be a bit of an upgrade. The reason I was asking about the granny cable was we often travel to the in laws in dublin overnight, and they wouldn't have a charger, so I'd need a way to charge it to make the trip back. hmmmmm.

I've been following this thread for over 2 years, ever since I test drove a model S at work. Before that I had no real interest in cars, so it's probably madness. Still, this looks like an excellent deal.

• How would you suggest going about purchasing from here? I'm thinking make a call, agree a price, pay a deposit, have it checked by dekra or someone, then arrange to have it transported back?
    • Very interested in the comment about AP/AP2 - anyone else know if that could be confirmed somehow?

Can confirm 100% it has AP2 (hardware at least).
    You can see the side camera in the door pillar. AP1 cars (like mine) don't have this.

• Advertisement

Cheers - I actually have a home charger for my 2014 leaf 24, so this would be a bit of an upgrade. The reason I was asking about the granny cable was we often travel to the in laws in dublin overnight, and they wouldn't have a charger, so I'd need a way to charge it to make the trip back. hmmmmm.

Where are you based yourself? Very far from Dublin? There is also public fast charging depending on where you are. Tesla superchargers are extremely reliable, charge very fast and are easy to use, just plug the cable in and it starts charging. And Tesla have recently dropped the price of the CCS conversion (so you can fast charge on nearly every fast charger in the country, including the ones from Ionity, EasyGo and the ESB) to just €291 (used to be nearly twice that)

I would go about it exactly as you suggested though as unkel says you could probably skip the check and instead do a video call with the seller who shows you the car and if he looks trustworthy go for it as you will have a 10 month warranty left anyway. It's a good deal considering that Tesla now offers a 12 month warranty only so this is almost as good as a CPO.

You would almost never charge from empty to full. Are you familiar with https://abetterrouteplanner.com ? An overnight granny charger would get you ~20kWh which is around 100km range. But you need to make sure that the plug and the socket are in decent condition. IMHO you'd be better off stopping at a Tesla supercharger or some other fast charger on the way for 30 minutes.

Edit: Unkel beat me to it.

PS: Some really nice offers have come up in the last few weeks. Quite a contrast to the drought of decent offers this summer. I paid only a few k less for a car that was a year and a half older, had no warranty and was pre-facelift. Had a few extras over this but this is still a better deal.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011055827976
    Here's another decent deal. 28750 GBP. 2014 but with extended Tesla warranty to Jan 2022 or 4400 miles. Air sus, free SC and premium connectivity.

The 2017 is still much better.

unkel wrote: »
    Where are you based yourself? Very far from Dublin? There is also public fast charging depending on where you are. Tesla superchargers are extremely reliable, charge very fast and are easy to use, just plug the cable in and it starts charging. And Tesla have recently dropped the price of the CCS conversion (so you can fast charge on nearly every fast charger in the country, including the ones from Ionity, EasyGo and the ESB) to just €291 (used to be nearly twice that)

Thanks, that's all great info. I'm based in Galway, but the in laws are in dublin, near enough the airport. I must research chargers around them. I know nothing about the public charging infrastructure because my leaf is only used local to my house, and I charge it here.

The CCS conversion might be the job it sounds like.

If you're not fussed about AP, that white 85 has great spec. Would have been a very expensive car new.

Thanks, that's all great info. I'm based in Galway, but the in laws are in dublin, near enough the airport. I must research chargers around them. I know nothing about the public charging infrastructure because my leaf is only used local to my house, and I charge it here.

The CCS conversion might be the job it sounds like.

Depending on what direction you're coming from, there's plenty of DC charging on every main route in/out of dublin.

When I'm visiting the outlaws in Wexford for instance (coming from Meath) we charge on a granny cable overnight and it's enough along with the residual range remaining to get back home. If it's not there is Ionity Gorey and Coynes Cross on the route aswell.

I think you'll find the island is well covered for fast charging at this stage. The CCS adapter is a must. I find it doesnt work well with old (DBT) units and for this reason I have the CCS adapter and the chademo adapter (both for free in my case) , usually one will work if the other doesnt!!

garo wrote: »
    I would go about it exactly as you suggested though as unkel says you could probably skip the check and instead do a video call with the seller who shows you the car and if he looks trustworthy go for it as you will have a 10 month warranty left anyway. It's a good deal considering that Tesla now offers a 12 month warranty only so this is almost as good as a CPO.

You would almost never charge from empty to full. Are you familiar with https://abetterrouteplanner.com ? An overnight granny charger would get you ~20kWh which is around 100km range. But you need to make sure that the plug and the socket are in decent condition. IMHO you'd be better off stopping at a Tesla supercharger or some other fast charger on the way for 30 minutes.

Edit: Unkel beat me to it.

PS: Some really nice offers have come up in the last few weeks. Quite a contrast to the drought of decent offers this summer. I paid only a few k less for a car that was a year and a half older, had no warranty and was pre-facelift. Had a few extras over this but this is still a better deal.

I hadn't heard of abetterrouteplanner, but just tried it out and it looks very handy. I chatted to a friend who has the same model car, and she says she makes the spin to dublin from here with 30% to spare in the summer, and about 15/20 in the winter, so that's grand.

I'll try and arrange a video call. Next question - how would people suggest managing payment/transport? Conscious of it needing to get done before Brexit too.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you're not fussed about AP, that white 85 has great spec. Would have been a very expensive car new.

More fussed about the colour - white is a no go for me! Thanks tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Next question - how would people suggest managing payment/transport? Conscious of it needing to get done before Brexit too.

I haven't imported from the UK but was looking into it for an E-Niro for a while

Currency Fair is probably the cheapest way to transfer money to Sterling without incurring huge fees. For the price of a car you'd save a few hundred in bank fees

For transport, it depends on whether you're okay travelling over to the UK (and isolating for 2 weeks upon return) or paying someone to do it for you. I think delivery fees are a few hundred, but could be higher in pandemic times.

Personally, if you can hack the quarantine, I'd travel over, you can get a Ryanair flight out and evening ferry and be back within a day. Flights and ferries are cheap enough at the moment so you'd save some cash. Ideally, you could persuade the seller to meet you at the airport and hand the keys over then to make life easier

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Surely there isn't a pre-2021 VRT appointment anywhere in the country though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I hadn't heard of abetterrouteplanner, but just tried it out and it looks very handy. I chatted to a friend who has the same model car, and she says she makes the spin to dublin from here with 30% to spare in the summer, and about 15/20 in the winter, so that's grand.

I'll try and arrange a video call. Next question - how would people suggest managing payment/transport? Conscious of it needing to get done before Brexit too.

Deposit over phone.
    Load your Revolut card.
    Get there and do it bank transfer from Revolut.
    Usually instant or overnight so maybe stay a night nearby.

Drive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

DrPhilG wrote: »

Apparently if you ring you might get a cancellation.

On a side note, if you arrive back after 17th December, you're supposed to be self-isolating for 2 weeks, which means you can't go to the VRT appointment until 2021

I wonder would they accept that in an appeal? :confused:

Also, I reckon there'll be a grace period in Jan 2021 if you can show proof you brought the car into Ireland in December.

Although, they'll probably slap you with the late VRT penalty charge then :rolleyes:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Gumbo wrote: »
    Deposit over phone.
    Load your Revolut card.
    Get there and do it bank transfer from Revolut.
    Usually instant or overnight so maybe stay a night nearby.

Drive home!
    You can use the revolut card too, and it's instant. (unless buying from private seller of course)

I haven't imported from the UK but was looking into it for an E-Niro for a while

Currency Fair is probably the cheapest way to transfer money to Sterling without incurring huge fees. For the price of a car you'd save a few hundred in bank fees

For transport, it depends on whether you're okay travelling over to the UK (and isolating for 2 weeks upon return) or paying someone to do it for you. I think delivery fees are a few hundred, but could be higher in pandemic times.

Personally, if you can hack the quarantine, I'd travel over, you can get a Ryanair flight out and evening ferry and be back within a day. Flights and ferries are cheap enough at the moment so you'd save some cash. Ideally, you could persuade the seller to meet you at the airport and hand the keys over then to make life easier

Honestly, I think travelling over isn't an option at this stage, with Christmas coming up. I'd be happy to pay someone to collect it if I can find someone for a reasonable price. I'm assuming it would make sense to do the money transfer once the person is there to collect it, and the forms are signed?

Honestly, I think travelling over isn't an option at this stage, with Christmas coming up. I'd be happy to pay someone to collect it if I can find someone for a reasonable price. I'm assuming it would make sense to do the money transfer once the person is there to collect it, and the forms are signed?
    That's what I'd be doing too. Any large UK dealer would be perfectly fine to facilitate this imo too, you're not going to be their first ROI customer.

Just make sure that you get (or your transporter gets) the full V5 doc with the car.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Ah, it's all getting a bit complicated now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Normally about €500 for collection and delivered to Dublin.

Ah, it's all getting a bit complicated now!

Yes, last chance saloon. Maybe already too late. And you don't want to be paying €7k VAT and €3k import duty on top of the VRT. I would want to be pretty certain that you will be able to import the car before any no-deal Brexit would kick in...

So, assuming I buy it, and get it back into the country this year, would I need to have it registered before Jan 1st to avoid whatever brexit related additional charges there would be? You'd think it could be registered at the next free slot (even if that's in 2021), without being penalized for brexit/late registration fees. Anyone know who I might confirm that with?!

• Advertisement

So, assuming I buy it, and get it back into the country this year, would I need to have it registered before Jan 1st to avoid whatever brexit related additional charges there would be? You'd think it could be registered at the next free slot (even if that's in 2021), without being penalized for brexit/late registration fees. Anyone know who I might confirm that with?!
    Once it's in the country before 1/1/21 you will not have to pay VAT, duty etc

Advertisement