Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

RonnieL wrote: »
    So, assuming I buy it, and get it back into the country this year, would I need to have it registered before Jan 1st to avoid whatever brexit related additional charges there would be? You'd think it could be registered at the next free slot (even if that's in 2021), without being penalized for brexit/late registration fees. Anyone know who I might confirm that with?!

Revenue are the ones who will be deciding

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

The official line is that from Jan 1st you're liable to VAT at 21% and customs duty (10% I think) on all used car imports, as well as VRT

How flexible they are on this is anyone's guess

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Revenue are the ones who will be deciding

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

The official line is that from Jan 1st you're liable to VAT at 21% and customs duty (10% I think) on all used car imports, as well as VRT

How flexible they are on this is anyone's guess
    These are charged on import.

If the car is already cleared into the country (ie allowed to leave the port), then VAT and customs are not due.

This line was interesting:
    If a vehicle is being imported from Northern Ireland, no import duty will apply

So I'd just "buy" it up north ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I've been following this thread for over 2 years,.............Still, this looks like an excellent deal.
    unkel wrote: »
    The car is under full warranty, so perhaps not that much need to have it professionally checked out (at great expense)
    garo wrote: »
    I would go about it exactly as you suggested though as unkel says you could probably skip the check and instead do a video call with the seller who shows you the car

The problem with skipping an independent inspection is if there is/was, any non recorded crash damage, say to the battery, chassis or even suspension. That could leave you with expensive repairs & would not be covered by the remainder of Tesla's warranty.

Unnoticed battery damage would even invalidate the 8 year battery warranty.

I'd be careful - €30k+ is a lot of money for a rushed, irreversible sale, for a sight unseen car, from in effect, a non EU country. It's unlikely, but a possibility & an inspection would be justified IMO in a private sale. It's possible the seller would contribute to the cost as he would then have it for the next prospective buyer, should your purchase not complete.

Best of luck anyway :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    This line was interesting:

The revenue website is showing false info. They are way ahead of themselves and presume there will be a backstop. This is not (yet) agreed.

As is, with a no-deal brexit, any import into an EU country (like Ireland) from a non EU country (like the UK, of which Northern Ireland is a part) will be subject to VAT and import duty

The revenue website is showing false info. They are way ahead of themselves and presume there will be a backstop. This is not (yet) agreed.

As is, with a no-deal brexit, any import into an EU country (like Ireland) from a non EU country (like the UK, of which Northern Ireland is a part) will be subject to VAT and import duty
    Does the already agreed deal not have that backstop about the border down the irish sea though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

garo wrote: »
    https://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=972c5bda-5636-eb11-89e8-f01fafd9cf1d

Might be worth a punt for those interested. Eco cars Athlone had it for sale at 36k earlier in the year. Note it's the Executive edition. No idea about AP or any extras.

Well, anyone see how much this went for?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say the ship has sailed for UK purchases, at least ones with no risk or uncertainty attached.

No-one knows how all this Brexit mess will sort itself out, or if it will at all.

Splashing 30k on a car now and not knowing what it's going to cost you to clear is a huge risk.

I'd say leave it til new year and perhaps it might not be the clusterfcuk that it could be, and importing might still be possible for a while.

slave1 wrote: »
    Well, anyone see how much this went for?
    No, and I'd be curious as this would obviously be a good indicator of the price floor at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Any car imported (and landed in Ireland) before 2021 will not attract VAT or customs. The page linked above is pretty clear about that. There is a discussion on the main UK Import thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058056834 If you show proof of date of import at your VRT appointment (which you have to anyway) you should be fine.

The VRT rates are changing from Jan 1st so depending on what Revenue values the car at the VRT you are charged may be different depending on whether you get your appointment before or after. In the worst case the difference shouldn't be over a few hundred euros. Again this was discussed in detail in one of the Tesla threads.

Gumbo is bang on about Revolut. Re transporters you can try Eirtrans or SK Transport in Armagh and a few others. Again details on the main UK import thread. This is a busy time and due to the pandemic you will be paying more than usual but I'd say upper limit 600 to Galway.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say the ship has sailed for UK purchases, at least ones with no risk or uncertainty attached.

No-one knows how all this Brexit mess will sort itself out, or if it will at all.

Splashing 30k on a car now and not knowing what it's going to cost you to clear is a huge risk.

I'd say leave it til new year and perhaps it might not be the clusterfcuk that it could be, and importing might still be possible for a while.

Disagree. Any car that arrives in Ireland before 1/1/21 is treated as a EU import.
    Kramer wrote: »
    The problem with skipping an independent inspection is if there is/was, any non recorded crash damage, say to the battery, chassis or even suspension. That could leave you with expensive repairs & would not be covered by the remainder of Tesla's warranty.

Unnoticed battery damage would even invalidate the 8 year battery warranty.

Yes this is a reasonable point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Turns out the guy lives 5 miles from a cousin of mine. He seems very genuine, so I'm on the verge of going for it.

Question re revolut. If I was to transfer a deposit to his UK account, should it appear immediately?

If so, I'm thinking I could pay him the deposit, have him drive to my cousin's place and do the paperwork, at which point I'd send the rest? Spoke to one of the car transport crowds who said it would be 550 +vat from Surrey to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Turns out the guy lives 5 miles from a cousin of mine. He seems very genuine, so I'm on the verge of going for it.

Question re revolut. If I was to transfer a deposit to his UK account, should it appear immediately?

If so, I'm thinking I could pay him the deposit, have him drive to my cousin's place and do the paperwork, at which point I'd send the rest? Spoke to one of the car transport crowds who said it would be 550 +vat from Surrey to Galway.

Yes instantly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If he is also Revolut it’s instant. It may also be instant for some other banks such as N26 (it is here for me) but N26 to Revolut takes overnight.

Just do it! You won’t regret if it’s what you’ve been saving for :)

I was hoping I'd be able to avoid having to involve my cousin's bank account, but since the seller only has standard bank accounts, I don't think there is (correct me if I'm wrong!). Thanks for all the advice. I think it is manageable, and having spoken to the girl at the car transport place, having it back here before the year end is definitely doable.

I was hoping I'd be able to avoid having to involve my cousin's bank account, but since the seller only has standard bank accounts, I don't think there is (correct me if I'm wrong!). Thanks for all the advice. I think it is manageable, and having spoken to the girl at the car transport place, having it back here before the year end is definitely doable.

You can Revolut to his bank account as normal too. Worse case it takes over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As Gumbo pointed out:

the GBP portion of your Revolut is a full UK account. You can transfer the funds directly to the seller from that using SWIFT.

I did that 2 years ago, no hassle. Money was on the sellers account 5 minutes later.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Marlow wrote: »
    You can transfer the funds directly to the seller from that using SWIFT.

AFAIK the UK is still a SEPA country until the end of the transition period - December. SWIFT attracts fees & a SEPA transfer should still be quicker/cheaper/easier.

Revolut as mentioned or Transferwise etc. are all plenty quick these days.

Whatever works I guess.

I've asked him if he can just get revolut. He said he'd look into it tonight. I'm new to revolut myself, but it seems to me he should be able to transfer from revolut back to his own account without any major fees, right?

Anyway, I'm conscious of derailing this thread with revolut etc. Thanks again for all the advice so far.

I did a Revolut into a Santander account and it took 5 minutes.

Yep, can confirm that too, I regularly make bank transfers from my Revolut into UK bank accounts. Usually the money arrives there near instantly. That's how I paid for my Tesla too BTW. Make sure you do the transfer on a weekday and you will be charged only the interbank rate with zero commission. Zero fees. It's not possible to do a cheaper transfer unless you take a position and speculate on the exchange rate.

The seller does NOT need to have a Revolut account. Any UK bank account will do. You only need full name of the recipient, sort code and bank account number

• Advertisement

Yep, can confirm that too, I regularly make bank transfers from my Revolut into UK bank accounts. Usually the money arrives there near instantly. That's how I paid for my Tesla too BTW. Make sure you do the transfer on a weekday and you will be charged only the interbank rate with zero commission. Zero fees. It's not possible to do a cheaper transfer unless you take a position and speculate on the exchange rate.

The seller does NOT need to have a Revolut account. Any UK bank account will do. You only need full name of the recipient, sort code and bank account number

Hmmmm. Today I did a test transfer at 16:36, and it told me it wouldn't go thru til tomorrow. I wonder was that because it was a bit late in the day? I just want to be confident it'll go thru very quickly because my plan is for the transaction to happen between the seller and my cousin, with me on the phone here - I don't want a situation where I pull the trigger and we're left looking at each other, waiting for it to go thru. Anyway, the seller said he'd look into getting revolut, so maybe that'll be that. The next hurdle I foresee is getting that amount of money into my revolut account - is my bank (boi) likely to let me transfer 34k from my debit account?

Hmmmm. Today I did a test transfer at 16:36, and it told me it wouldn't go thru til tomorrow. I wonder was that because it was a bit late in the day? I just want to be confident it'll go thru very quickly because my plan is for the transaction to happen between the seller and my cousin, with me on the phone here - I don't want a situation where I pull the trigger and we're left looking at each other, waiting for it to go thru. Anyway, the seller said he'd look into getting revolut, so maybe that'll be that. The next hurdle I foresee is getting that amount of money into my revolut account - is my bank (boi) likely to let me transfer 34k from my debit account?

Yes, late afternoon IBAN transfers occur the next morning.
    If you do the same test in the morning it should arrive there straight away.

I think the sepa deadline for same day is 230pm?

Anyone care to estimate what I'd be looking at in VRT for that 2017 tesla I've been spamming the thread about? (Assuming there's no Brexit related extra charges)

Anyone care to estimate what I'd be looking at in VRT for that 2017 tesla I've been spamming the thread about? (Assuming there's no Brexit related extra charges)

My VRT last year for a 2016 S90D was approx 2.5k after grants.
    I'd expect similar, if you get it done this year.

Worth noting the current scheme (14% VRT with EV discount of 5k) changes on 1/1/21 to (7% VRT with no EV discount for EVs with OMSP >50k), so it would likely be slightly more expensive even on VRT next year.

Worth noting the current scheme (14% VRT with EV discount of 5k) changes on 1/1/21 to (7% VRT with no EV discount for EVs with OMSP >50k), so it would likely be slightly more expensive even on VRT next year.

Ah that could be the end of that - next VRT appointments are not til the new year, and I went through the calculator there and it came back with current OMSP of over 51K. I can't risk having to pay an extra 5 grand. Feck it.

Ah that could be the end of that - next VRT appointments are not til the new year, and I went through the calculator there and it came back with current OMSP of over 51K. I can't risk having to pay an extra 5 grand. Feck it.

OMSP of €51k means the VRT is 14% of the balance over the value of €35k, so

14% (51k-35k) = €2240

And most people are succesfull in getting a reduction if they can show the revenue that their car is worth less than the assessed OMSP

And woot, the Model S is now on the VRT calculator??? That would take away pretty much all uncertainty. That's a good thing. For the few weeks that are left in it anyway :p

OMSP of €51k means the VRT is 14% of the balance over the value of €35k, so

14% (51k-35k) = €2240

And most people are succesfull in getting a reduction if they can show the revenue that their car is worth less than the assessed OMSP

But from what was said earlier, with the OMSP being over 50, i'd be at risk of having to pay the ev discount of 5k right? I'm not too risk averse, but those stakes are too high for me :-(

But from what was said earlier, with the OMSP being over 50, i'd be at risk of having to pay the ev discount of 5k right? I'm not too risk averse, but those stakes are too high for me :-(

No, your incorrect here or mixing up some other grant scheme.
    VRT will be circa 2250e.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    No, your incorrect here or mixing up some other grant scheme.
    VRT will be circa 2250e.

So is ELM327 wrong, or did I misunderstand what he was saying? Seems like he's saying that if the car has a OMSP of more than 50k, and it's registered after Jan 1st, the ev discount of 5K will be gone?

Advertisement