Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

RonnieL wrote: »
    So is ELM327 wrong, or did I misunderstand what he was saying? Seems like he's saying that if the car has a OMSP of more than 50k, and it's registered after Jan 1st, the ev discount of 5K will be gone?

Ah, I just re-read ELM's post properly. I hadn't noticed the change from 14% to 7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes assume the car is valued at 51k OMSP.

2020: You pay 51,000*14% - 5,000 = 2,140
    2021: You pay 51,000*7% = 3,570

You can appeal and if the appeal is well-written likely get some money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What you pay in 2021 is not relevant in a no deal brexit as I can't see anyone bringing in a Tesla from the UK to here. A GBP30k car would attract €10k in VAT and import duty and then there is the increased VRT on top. Which will probably be based on a higher OMSP than today because of the very fact you can't import them any more (existing stock in Ireland will go up in value or at least have lower depreciation)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    What you pay in 2021 is not relevant in a no deal brexit as I can't see anyone bringing in a Tesla from the UK to here if there. A GBP30k car would attract €10k in VAT and import duty and then there is the increased VRT on top.
    Not if it's in the country before 1/1/21 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What you pay in 2021 is not relevant in a no deal brexit as I can't see anyone bringing in a Tesla from the UK to here. A GBP30k car would attract €10k in VAT and import duty and then there is the increased VRT on top. Which will probably be based on a higher OMSP than today because of the very fact you can't import them any more (existing stock in Ireland will go up in value or at least have lower depreciation)

Well with a bit of luck sterling would crash by around 40% against the euro which would offset the tax increases

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Well with a bit of luck sterling would crash by around 40% against the euro which would offset the tax increases

Yes that could happen. But that probably means we are in the sh1ts double as a country as the Brits could no longer afford any of the stuff we sell 'em today :D

Yes that could happen. But that probably means we are in the sh1ts double as a country as the Brits could no longer afford any of the stuff we sell 'em today :D

Never let long term consequences get in the way of short term gains :D

I suppose that's the only scenario the North would do well, since there would be a massive increase in people doing their shopping in Newry

Also, in a bizarre situation, M&S would be cheaper than Aldi :eek:

I suppose that's the only scenario the North would do well, since there would be a massive increase in people doing their shopping in Newry

You are presuming a backstop. Which is far from certain.

Without a backstop you will get stopped at the border and you can pay 21% VAT and 10% import duty on your shopping. Which will not be 40% cheaper in the shops up north unless it is produced locally over there.

You are presuming a backstop. Which is far from certain.

Without a backstop you will get stopped at the border and you can pay 21% VAT and 10% import duty on your shopping. Which will not be 40% cheaper in the shops up north unless it is produced locally over there.

They have already said NI to ROI there is no import duty or vat. It's on the revenue website.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They have already said NI to ROI there is no import duty or vat. It's on the revenue website.

Yes, read my previous posts on this. The revenue website presumes this will happen, but no deal has been done on this at all. Without a deal, there is no backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ELM327 wrote: »

That part will actually be interesting. In theory one might be able to wing it with a sales invoice through an intermediate in NI before bringing the car in :)

It's actually quite interesting, because from 2000-2005 NI was a similar loophole for imported cars into the UK.

Basically a lot of cars imported from lets say the US and places like Brazil were charged VAT on import in the UK, but not, if you imported them into NI. So there's loads of brazilian VW Bay and US car imports, that have NI plates from that era, even though they never have been in NI.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yes, read my previous posts on this. The revenue website presumes this will happen, but no deal has been done on this at all. Without a deal, there is no backstop.

Technically, there is a deal on this. It's called the Withdrawal Agreement. It's an international agreement signed and sealed in 2019 and it contains the frontstop (backstop is so 2018 :D).

This agreement could be broken by the British, but it would be an act of lunacy to do so...... So I wouldn't rule it out. :p

People should be careful not to confuse the current proposed FTA agreement with the already secured WA.

Incorrect, note the below which sums it up far better than I could hope to do :)

Technically, there is a deal on this. It's called the Withdrawal Agreement. It's an international agreement signed and sealed in 2019 and it contains the frontstop (backstop is so 2018 :D).

This agreement could be broken by the British, but it would be an act of lunacy to do so...... So I wouldn't rule it out. :p

People should be careful not to confuse the current proposed FTA agreement with the already secured WA.

According to the news, the NI protocol has been agreed, so that part of no deal should be sorted in theory

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Marlow wrote: »
    It's actually quite interesting, because from 2000-2005 NI was a similar loophole for imported cars into the UK

We moved home to Banbridge from Manchester in 2001. At the time my dad was told we had to export the car from the UK to Northern Ireland, and that in the eyes of the DVLA, NI was not part of the UK. There was also weirdness around the driving licence where GB required immediate notification of a change of address but NI didn't. I think it was 2014 when they "fixed" the oddities.

liamog wrote: »
    We moved home to Banbridge from Manchester in 2001. At the time my dad was told we had to export the car from the UK to Northern Ireland, and that in the eyes of the DVLA, NI was not part of the UK. There was also weirdness around the driving licence where GB required immediate notification of a change of address but NI didn't. I think it was 2014 when they "fixed" the oddities.

Funny how that 'One UK' thing works (or doesn't work as is sometimes the case it seems)

wont be working too long more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

As ELM already said I was talking in the specific case of RonnieL if the car is imported before Dec 31st but he doesn't get a VRT appointment before 2021.

liamog wrote: »
    I think it was 2014 when they "fixed" the oddities.

Well, the VAT requirement was fixed around 2005, meaning you had to pay VAT on non-EU imports in all of the UK then. All the oddities being fixed was, when they merged the DVLA-NI with the DVLA and moved all those jobs from NI to Swansea. Sounds about right with 2014 on that one.

And yes .. up until that point, NI was seen as a seperate "entity" within the UK, when it came to motors.

/M

garo wrote: »
    As ELM already said I was talking in the specific case of RonnieL if the car is imported before Dec 31st but he doesn't get a VRT appointment before 2021.

As long as he has a ferry ticket or transport docket dated before 31.12., it should be ok.

I imported a VW Caravelle just before xmas last year and they added the NOX import levy on 1.1.2020.

Because this was a model they had no category for (being a VR6 limo spec), i didn't get my VAT figure before after new years.

They did try to charge me the NOX levy, but I had a phone call a few days ahead confirming, I would not be charged that, so they fixed that.

This is one of those cut-over examples. Now, in this case I presented it before xmas. But in general, as long has he requests the booking before new years, he should be fine.

It would be no harm though, to contact Revenue and ask them, what their stance is on it. Especially seeing, that this car has EU vat paid for already, they'd be on very shakey ground charging it again.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So, are we buying a Model S or not :)

Gumbo wrote: »
    So, are we buying a Model S or not :)

If he is buying it, he should start a new thread ... this is about not buying it :)

/M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Marlow wrote: »
    If he is buying it, he should start a new thread ... this is about not buying it :)

/M

So, he's not, not buying it ??

Afraid to say I had to pull the plug on it (pages of posts later....sorry!). I did want it, and I was as close as it comes to going for it, but two things came up today at home that just meant it wasn't feasible. The seller told me he had a load of interest, so I'm sure it's sold by now. He was a really sound fella - chatted to him on the phone and he told me that he was waiting on a brand new Model S himself (mentioned something about there only being one model on offer, and it was 85K or something?), and Tesla only offered him 28K on a trade in for his, so he decided to sell it privately. Someone got a good bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

RonnieL wrote: »
    Afraid to say I had to pull the plug on it (pages of posts later....sorry!). I did want it, and I was as close as it comes to going for it

Sorry to hear that but it's only a car & usually, something equally as enticing comes along. Good things come to those who wait :pac:.

Would you have any interest in a 2012 Leaf with 4 bars left (50km range)?

Unkel posts up good deals on those frequently enough here :D.

Kramer wrote: »

Would you have any interest in a 2012 Leaf with 4 bars left (50km range)?

I've a leaf of my own, but thanks!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did anyone here get that 16k ioniq from Mooney's a few weeks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Seems like a great deal here, 201 Leaf for 22,550. What's the catch?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-40kw-7-000kms-price-drop/26575269

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mimon wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-40kw-7-000kms-price-drop/26575269

I'd imagine you'll have to work with a finance company on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

Mimon wrote: »

What is the catch? Is it still under finance?

Advertisement