Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kramer wrote: »
    Will have cost them less than a 10 year old diesel.

Your figures are a bit optimistic, but the gist of your post is true. In my own case, my brand new Ioniq that I kept for 3 years even with my low mileage, cost me less per month than my previous car, a banger that I bought for a few hundred quid and that I serviced myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's perfect use of a 64kWh Korean car - 75,000km in 2 years, one of which with a pandemic/lockdowns etc.

I reckon it cost the owner 12c/km for everything, depreciation (€36k - €29k), electricity (7c/kWh night rate @ 14kWh/100km), tax (€120 x 2), servicing & insurance (€400 x 2).

Will have cost them less than a 10 year old diesel.

I think our Ioniq 28 (50k km in 12 months) worked out far less than that again - TCO was maybe around 9/10c/km.
    Similar to my own Ioniq 28.

Quick sums here for my own Ioniq 28 that I bought new and kept for 3 years. Just 45k km when I sold it, so relatively high cost per km. TCO including depreciation (€1967/year), fuel cost(€90 per year :eek: :D), maintenance and tyres (€45 per year - just two tyres), motor tax (€120 / year), insurance (€450 per year), tolls (€100 per year) it was 19c / km. Or €240 per month. All in.

That cost per km is about what the fuel alone cost in my old banger...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

unkel wrote: »
    Quick sums here for my own Ioniq 28 that I bought new and kept for 3 years. Just 45k km when I sold it, so relatively high cost per km. TCO including depreciation (€1967/year), fuel cost(€90 per year :eek: :D), maintenance and tyres (€45 per year - just two tyres), motor tax (€120 / year), insurance (€450 per year), tolls (€100 per year) it was 19c / km. Or €240 per month. All in.

Depreciation is v low in fairness! What would the cost per in be in your Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'll need to update my calculator for TCO, this depreciation lark is too difficult to figure out :confused:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    Depreciation is v low in fairness! What would the cost per in be in your Tesla?

If I sold it today, my total cost of ownership per km or per month would be negative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's perfect use of a 64kWh Korean car - 75,000km in 2 years, one of which with a pandemic/lockdowns etc.

I was slightly shocked to see such mileage on a 2019, especially as you say over a period when we weren't to be travelling much.

Wonder what the owner does for a living or do in their spare time that would rack up such mileage?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was slightly shocked to see such mileage on a 2019, especially as you say over a period when we weren't to be travelling much.

Wonder what the owner does for a living or do in their spare time that would rack up such mileage?

Could be an essential worker commuting to Dublin, plenty of people still need to go to the office

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well, a not unreasonable 150km round trip commute would rack up big numbers easily, without including other driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JPA wrote: »
    Well, a not unreasonable 150km round trip commute would rack up big numbers easily, without including other driving.
    It does.
    I do similar miles pre covid, a 120km round trip commute *5 and 350km at the weekend too adds up quickly.

So easy to do big miles in a big battery EV. I did it in an L24 too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Could be an essential worker commuting to Dublin, plenty of people still need to go to the office

Doesn't even have to be to Dublin, our car has 20k up on it since April and it's only a 80km commute (with the odd 250km), round trip. - and that's been work only. No weekends away or anything like that.

Maybe bargin if you can haggle them down a bit?

E Niro, UK first edition listed at 33k, In dublin. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-niro-5dr-auto-64kwh-battery-455km-range/26859077

graememk wrote: »
    Maybe bargin if you can haggle them down a bit?

E Niro, UK first edition listed at 33k, In dublin. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-niro-5dr-auto-64kwh-battery-455km-range/26859077

Sold already!

Sold already!

Bet they paid full price too, cheapish E-Niros are like gold dust

Flip that was quick! well,,, must have been a bargain then :P

Now that off lease ones from the UK will incur 10%? ... oh flip VAT too.

If it was owned by a lease company, they would be claiming the VAT off the cars and then charging the VAT at the lower value,

If one (or an importer) was able to buy one with the VAT chain still intact (ie never owned by a non registered VAT person/company) It should be able to be bought VAT Free and only hit with the 10% duty?

Still 3k on a 30k car.

graememk wrote: »
    Flip that was quick! well,,, must have been a bargain then :P

Now that off lease ones from the UK will incur 10%? ... oh flip VAT too.

If it was owned by a lease company, they would be claiming the VAT off the cars and then charging the VAT at the lower value,

If one (or an importer) was able to buy one with the VAT chain still intact (ie never owned by a non registered VAT person/company) It should be able to be bought VAT Free and only hit with the 10% duty?

Still 3k on a 30k car.

Don't think they get hit with the 10% duty as they're originally made in the EU and the trade deal covers cars.

Will get hit with the VAT though

Need to aim for one registered in NI as it won't incur VAT

Don't think they get hit with the 10% duty as they're originally made in the EU and the trade deal covers cars.

Will get hit with the VAT though

Need to aim for one registered in NI as it won't incur VAT

E niros are all made in korea atm, the uk facebook group are boat watching again!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not 100% sure yet, but M&S Percy Pig sweets are made in Germany and now attract a duty when re-exporting them from the UK to their branches in Ireland and France. It's been big news :D

liamog wrote: »
    Not 100% sure yet, but M&S Percy Pig sweets are made in Germany and now attract a duty when re-exporting them from the UK to their branches in Ireland and France. It's been big news :D

Heard that major story, and not sure why they can't ship from Germany to Ireland, without GB coming into the equation?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Probably a healthy dose of British Exceptionalism combined with leaving the trade deal to the last minute. My guess is a lot of UK companies were being given private assurances that of course their would be a trade deal, but it meant that most weren't able to put measures in place in time.
    I've seen predictions that the UK will look to rejoin the customs union and single market on an EFTA like basis within 5 years.

• Advertisement

Heard that major story, and not sure why they can't ship from Germany to Ireland, without GB coming into the equation?

Basically for cost reasons, most of our food just comes from a warehouse in the UK, we're geographically and culturally close enough that it made sense

Now it makes less sense to do that, so hopefully we'll see more food coming direct from Europe soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Bringing Percy pig into the M & S depot in UK means you have a tarriff issue if you move to Ireland after.

You can do either of following I think.

1) Percy pig can go to UK stores for UK Sale.

2) bring Percy pig from Germany to the island of island direct -ie France to Rosslare sailing.

M & S distribution is not set up to allow 2).

So Percy pig would face tarriffs if delivered to Ireland.

Issue is rules of origin - there's a trade deal for zero tarriff trade. But if sending stuff from a UK location - it needs to be an actual UK made product to avail of no tarriffs under the deal.

Brexit is just awkward.

Edit - I used UK incorrectly above - should have said GB (the mainland) as NI is in EU single market for Goods and follows EU rules. Hence you see reference to Irish Sea border a lot

Cheapest Tesla on DoneDeal now €42k, so I guess we won't see Teslas in this thread for the rest of this year at least. Maybe some older Model S coming out of (battery) warranty by the summer of 2022

Also nothing much else on DD, cheapest Leaf is €4,500, looks nice and 2012, but nothing about range, probably very poor at this stage

Linky

I guess what we can expect in here is the odd Kona / eNiro from 2019 / 2020 that have depreciated a bit (but not all that much)

Depressing really for anyone watching this thread with a keen eye to get into EV motoring but can't afford a new car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

garo wrote: »

Nice, AP1, Dual Chargers, Sound Upgrade on 19s.
    Shame no free Supercharging/Connectivity or longer warranty anymore

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

garo wrote: »

Not that I'm interested, but now with Brexit can anyone work out what this would cost to import into Ireland?

Not that I'm interested, but now with Brexit can anyone work out what this would cost to import into Ireland?

21% VAT plus 7% VRT of the OMSP (not the UK price), plus fees to get someone to do the paperwork, I could see it being in the €45k region

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

21% VAT plus 7% VRT of the OMSP (not the UK price), plus fees to get someone to do the paperwork, I could see it being in the €45k region

Do you not also have import duty of 10%?

Yep. Import duty too. Basically it's the end of the road for the import of cars - even EVs - from the UK. Unless GBP devaluates by a good 25-30% or so. Which of course is entirely possible.

• Advertisement

Yep. Import duty too. Basically it's the end of the road for the import of cars - even EVs - from the UK. Unless GBP devaluates by a good 25-30% or so. Which of course is entirely possible.

Seeing as they dont have the Irish export market putting a floor on second hand cars. Would it be possible for the price of second hand cars in britan getting even lower?

Advertisement