Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

An impending recession because of inflation / COVID and Brexit and a massive decrease in miles driven sure won't help the value of second hand (luxury) cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    Yep. Import duty too. Basically it's the end of the road for the import of cars - even EVs - from the UK. Unless GBP devaluates by a good 25-30% or so. Which of course is entirely possible.

I thought the whole trade agreement thing was to stop import duty being charged? Or because it's a US made car does the customs duty get reset?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »
    Seeing as they dont have the Irish export market putting a floor on second hand cars. Would it be possible for the price of second hand cars in britan getting even lower?

Does/did the Irish export market put much of a dent in their second hand market? In 2019 we imported 117k used cars. UK sold ~8 million used cars. We won't be noticed.

I thought the whole trade agreement thing was to stop import duty being charged?

From the Revenue website:

Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU) including the UK
    If you buy goods for personal use from outside the European Union (EU), you may have to pay:

Customs Duty
    Excise Duty
    Anti-Dumping Duty
    Countervailing Duty
    Value-Added Tax (VAT).
    Note

From 1 January The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union (EU). If you buy goods from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1 January you may incur charges that are outlined in this page.

If your goods have:

a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
    a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
    an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.

Easy enough to see how it works if you pick a random item from Amazon.co.uk located in the UK, with a value over GBP200. Go to checkout and the price reduces because the UK VAT is deducted. But then a total is added for "Import Fees Deposit" which includes Irish VAT of 21% + import duty + admin fee for importing

If you do the same for an item worth just say GBP100, only the Irish VAT of 21% is added (no import duty) and if you pick an item up to a max of GBP19.95, you get the item without the UK VAT and without the Irish VAT :D No VAT, no import duty. This is a loophole that will be closed in July. So go get yourself a sh1tload of bargains from the UK if you have Prime before it's too late :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Are ex-demo VW ID3 available at all? Anyone seen anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

McGiver wrote: »
    Are ex-demo VW ID3 available at all? Anyone seen anything.

What's one worth, I've an entry one with 9000km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd hold off on an I3 to be honest until they fix the software issues, make OTA standard, and include apple carplay. The early cars that don't have these will lose value quicker.

I saw two ID3 in Dublin last night, they are a lot better looking than the egolf they replaced thats for sure.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd hold off on an I3 to be honest until they fix the software issues, make OTA standard, and include apple carplay. The early cars that don't have these will lose value quicker.

There all due to get it soon it shouldn't have any effect on value, I was booked in for the 2.0 update but decided to hold off for 2.1 as it's working fine at the moment.
    Range is my issue, I'm the exception rather than the rule though, the range is plenty for most people I'd expect.

Range is the issue maybe because you are new to EVs, drunkmonkey? All EVs are badly impacted by cold weather, as soon as the temps lift towards 10C your real range will be much, much bigger.

Out of interest, what are the trips you do now and how are you struggling?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Range is the issue maybe because you are new to EVs, drunkmonkey? All EVs are badly impacted by cold weather, as soon as the temps lift towards 10C your real range will be much, much bigger.

Out of interest, what are the trips you do now and how are you struggling?

I've 9000k on it, tbh it's fine at the moment I've got used to it but I have big 5/600km days ahead when things settle down and I know it's going to be a big issue if the range doesn't improve, one of my regular spins is 320km that requires two chargers to complete, one at a slow esb at the destination and another at an ionity on the way home. If I had the petrol I'd be doing an extra 100km on that run but I can't make it back to the ionity if I do.
    It's all the west side of the country I head for, if it was east I don't think there would be much issue.
    There is a fast charger due in cork so might help solve that problem.

I've also the issue of the mrs refusing point blank to drive it anymore, she had a bad run over the last few days, she pulled up at a charger with 30km left and it was broken, went to the next charging station 32km away and lost the charging card, then she parked in the middle of the road when jumping out to the banking machine last night and the key fob was dead when she jumped back in. She had to take a time out when she got home.

I'm pretty sure the battery software is all over the place and range will improve with that alone, April will tell a lot could be a different car. The battery is very slow to heat, you can't fast charge after 50km this weather.

I've 9000k on it, tbh it's fine at the moment I've got used to it but I have big 5/600km days ahead when things settle down and I know it's going to be a big issue if the range doesn't improve, one of my regular spins is 320km that requires two chargers to complete, one at a slow esb at the destination and another at an ionity on the way home. If I had the petrol I'd be doing an extra 100km on that run but I can't make it back to the ionity if I do.
    It's all the west side of the country I head for, if it was east I don't think there would be much issue.
    There is a fast charger due in cork so might help solve that problem.

I've also the issue of the mrs refusing point blank to drive it anymore, she had a bad run over the last few days, she pulled up at a charger with 30km left and it was broken, went to the next charging station 32km away and lost the charging card, then she parked in the middle of the road when jumping out to the banking machine last night and the key fob was dead when she jumped back in. She had to take a time out when she got home.

I'm pretty sure the battery software is all over the place and range will improve with that alone, April will tell a lot could be a different car. The battery is very slow to heat, you can't fast charge after 50km this weather.

Can't see it improving that much though.

What's this about a fast charger in Cork? Where abouts?

Can't see it improving that much though.

What's this about a fast charger in Cork? Where abouts?

It's imminent, not sure where hoping somewhere near the jack lunch tunnel.

"The first four of these high power charging hubs have been installed in Kilcullen (M9), Portlaoise Plaza (M7/M8), Galway Plaza (M6) and Kells (M3). Further sites, and ones that will service the Cork area, will be added in the coming months," it said.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40069982.html

It should be like the 150kw portlaoise one I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Huh?

They will all have that once the software is updated. The hardware is already there.

"The first four of these high power charging hubs have been installed in Kilcullen (M9), Portlaoise Plaza (M7/M8), Galway Plaza (M6) and Kells (M3). Further sites, and ones that will service the Cork area, will be added in the coming months," it said.

"Coming Soon" ecars style probably.
    Worth noting that the portlaoise one cannot deliver more than 50kW.

KCross wrote: »
    Huh?

They will all have that once the software is updated. The hardware is already there.
    I was sure it was hardware based too. I read that on here. If I'm mistaken then of course there's no difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only big hardware difference between the ID.3 1st and Series is the availability of the QI charger, on the 1st it was exclusive to the Max.

liamog wrote: »
    The only big hardware difference between the ID.3 1st and Series is the availability of the QI charger, on the 1st it was exclusive to the Max.
    Seems to be hardware too?

https://www.speakev.com/threads/picking-up-an-id-3-after-lockdown-some-questions.154871/
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/id3-series-orders.153449/page-27

https://newsabc.net/report-hardware-in-vw-id-3-still-too-weak-for-augmented-reality-in-the-windscreen/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats just BS on the internet. I didnt read them all but the first one was based off an article written in 2019 so that can be disregarded anyway.

The cars were clearly sold with Carplay etc support in the knowledge that it wouldnt be made available until Q1 2021. If hardware updates are required it will be up to VW to upgrade the hardware otherwise there would be a raft of court cases for mis-selling.

Paper never refused ink.

Ah yes. I remember that article. Last I looked the north side unit was the least used in Cork. Just checking now and for the last 7 days it's the most used in Cork city. 16 hours of DC usage over the last 7 days, vs 14 and 13 for rochestown and frankfield hill respectively. That said, Frankfield hill looks to have been out of service for 48 hours over the last week, so it's a little skewed.

Apologies, this is more Ecars expansion plans thread talk than a bargain talk. Mods, do your thing if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

In case you don't know, Easygo have a fast charge point in the river lee car park, thinks it's in the underground one and there is one if not two css chargepoints at the airport now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

loopymum wrote: »
    In case you don't know, Easygo have a fast charge point in the river lee car park, thinks it's in the underground one and there is one if not two css chargepoints at the airport now as well.

The Easygo charger at the River Lee is opposite the entrance to reception, on the public road. There are 2 Tesla destination chargers in the basement, behind the hotel barrier and only accessible with a key card.

Source: I stayed in the River Lee a few weeks ago. :D

Source: I stayed in the River Lee a few weeks ago. :D

What's the story with hotels and essential workers, can you have a beer and a swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

What's the story with hotels and essential workers, can you have a beer and a swim?

The gym and pool were closed, but the restaurant was serving (excellent) food, and drink. There were a good few staying there.

I had a day of tests at the Mercy hospital across the road, so I stayed 2 nights.

loopymum wrote: »

1 active in the epower EV app. 30.5c/kWh +50c activation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

What's one worth, I've an entry one with 9000km on it.

Is it for sale? ;)

Is it for sale? ;)

Ah I'll probably hang onto it for another bit just testing the water as they say, I've no idea what it's worth. New software is due in week 7 I'm hoping that's going to be a big improvement.
    I've no idea what I'd replace it, more than likely another electric but it seems to be one of the better ones available at the moment, tesla is too expensive and seems plagued with problems, mate has to get his roof replaced as it cracked and his lights are constantly fogged up, paint very easy scratch, it's just shoddy for such an expensive car.
    Real world range on the mustang will be interesting to watch and there's always the ID.R in the pipeline.

Is it for sale? ;)

Not sure if this would work but if the revenue class this one as new for vrt purposes can you claim the 5k vrt grant and possibly the seai, it's under 6mts old with under 6k
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/279071912

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not sure if this would work but if the revenue class this one as new for vrt purposes can you claim the 5k vrt grant and possibly the seai, it's under 6mts old with under 6k

you get the vrt rebate on any second hand car coming in anyways - provided it qualifies on the new system, you cant get the SEAI grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you need to be a registered importer to get the seai grant, and that's only on new cars anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement