Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

£23k Tesla

Asking £23,900, private sale. I'd say he will not refuse a £23k serious offer. That is pretty incredible. It's white with black wheels, which looks rotten imho and it has nearly 300k km on the clock, but it's still a Model S and it's a bargain.

5a64707b5fd34583a0fdaa8b5500295a.jpg

Linky

Key question here: how much would that be landed on Irish plates now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Tesla is now in the wrong thread Unkel, its no longer a bargain being a UK car.

Anyway, only a few folk on here would consider a 7yr old car with 172,000 miles for £23,000 a bargain, even before taxes and import duty was to be added.

NIMAN wrote: »
    That Tesla is now in the wrong thread Unkel, its no longer a bargain being a UK car.

Anyway, only a few folk on here would consider a 7yr old car with 172,000 miles for £23,000 a bargain, even before taxes and import duty was to be added.

Well that was my question, innit? How much is that £23k Tesla now landed here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As that Tesla has had just the one owner it would deffo be worth reaching out and seeing what repairs/replacements have been carried out.
    Would not be put off by mileage, AP1 and low price

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »

At a guess.

Assuming stg at 1.12 and revenue valuing it at 23k stg.10% duty,21% vat.
    34286 + vrt ( which would be zero, because of the rebate)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

graememk wrote: »
    At a guess.

Yup. Thought low 30s myself. Not a bargain at all so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:
    Asking £23,900, private sale. I'd say he will not refuse a £23k serious offer. That is pretty incredible. It's white with black wheels, which looks rotten imho and it has nearly 300k km on the clock, but it's still a Model S and it's a bargain.

What's the battery degradation with 300,000 km??? Anyway too find out with Tesla?

Yup. Thought low 30s myself. Not a bargain at all so

The cheapest Model S for sale in Ireland (also a 2014) is now asking price €43k though. So a very substantial saving.
    McGiver wrote: »
    What's the battery degradation with 300,000 km??? Anyway too find out with Tesla?

Hopefully it is really bad. It's under Tesla warranty until some time next year. Would be nice if it was replaced by Tesla for free :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd say there's s fair chance that battery mas been replaced, hence if seriously interested reach out to seller

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The cheapest Model S for sale in Ireland (also a 2014) is now asking price €43k though. So a very substantial saving.

I don't expect anyone to offer 43k for it any time soon. The UK one might be cheaper, but that doesn't always mean it's a bargain. Lovely for those who own an S at the moment, they depreciation should slow down greatly.. until the warranty runs out.

Yeah I can't say I disagree with any of that Black_Knight. There's no way I'd pay €33k for that white Tesla. It's the cheapest Model S that I have ever seen for sale in the UK though by a long shot, but I guess because of brexit, the taxes to bring it in here are not worth it. Pre-brexit you could have landed that car here for €26k. Now that would have been a bargain alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

b361b4acb6c326e179e8e3fb33f31790_w200.gif

graememk wrote: »
    At a guess.

Bold assumption that the OMSP for VRT purposes isn't substantially higher.

My guess is the revenue would value that at €45k min.

45k @ 17% = 6,300
    less rebate = 5,000
    VRT 1,300.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's no rebate anymore I thought.
    VRT is 7%.

you're right,

VRT relief is tapered for BEVs and new rate is 7%

You'd think revenue would update their page.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.aspx

So to re-calculate,

OMSP = 45k
    VRT@7% = 3,150
    Taper (45k-40k *50%) = 2,500
    VRT relief = 5k -2,500 = 2,500

Net VRT €650.

I think.

So would the VRT be similar on this chancey model 3, they've have to reduce it due to it being a CAT S.
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/279553571

So would the VRT be similar on this chancey model 3, they've have to reduce it due to it being a CAT S.
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/279553571

Spotted that car last night on AT. Cheaper over there than in your link and I'd say there is still plenty room for negotiation on that :p

I see it there now https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101188106665?advertising-location=at_cars&is-quick-search=TRUE&postcode=EH11%204EP&model=MODEL%203&sort=price-asc&page=3&make=TESLA&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertClassification=standard , and he's looking for an EV Trade in, hard to value that car, cat S it must have been light damage it was hardly stolen.

What value would you put on it...40k? I doubt it would be bought for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

you're right,

VRT relief is tapered for BEVs and new rate is 7%

You'd think revenue would update their page.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.aspx

So to re-calculate,

OMSP = 45k
    VRT@7% = 3,150
    Taper (45k-40k *50%) = 2,500
    VRT relief = 5k -2,500 = 2,500

Net VRT €650.

I think.

So bloody complicated. And they start tapering it when there's less than 1% EVs on the road, that's nearly criminal.

Norway with 20% EV penetration and 50%+ EV car sales didn't taper anything in terms of their very old VAT and "VRT" exemption.

• Advertisement

So bloody complicated. And they start tapering it when there's less than 1% EVs on the road, that's nearly criminal.

Probably deserves it's own thread. But I guess with the VRT and NOx fines for bringing in cancerous diesels now dried up, the government wants to make up for it somewhere. Agreed a hefty increase in VRT and motor tax for new diesel cars (think minimum 30% VRT, minimum €1000 motor tax) while leaving alone the previous €35k cap on zero VRT for pure EVs would have been better

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not that complicated and it makes a lot of car's cheaper. Pretty much anything with a 31k to 42k on the road price received a benefit from the VRT drop.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114945857&postcount=145

The model 3 performance had light damage on the back left in the first 200 miles, 5000k up on it since with no issues, Tesla won't honor the warranty which is an awful pity.
    What's it worth...

LOL, no warranty and no supercharging either then? Worth far, far less than the asking price imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LOL, no warranty and no supercharging either then? Worth far, far less than the asking price imho.
    Not no supercharging, just no warranty

The no supercharging for salvage title cars only applied to S/X and usually not outside NA.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

The model 3 performance had light damage on the back left in the first 200 miles, 5000k up on it since with no issues, Tesla won't honor the warranty which is an awful pity.
    What's it worth...

isnt that where the charge port is located?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Not no supercharging, just no warranty

The no supercharging for salvage title cars only applied to S/X and usually not outside NA.

I would want that in writing from Tesla before I'd even consider buying that car!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Bold assumption that the OMSP for VRT purposes isn't substantially higher.

My guess is the revenue would value that at €45k min.

45k @ 17% = 6,300
    less rebate = 5,000
    VRT 1,300.

Should have said I was giving a "best case"
    People have successfully appealed the vrt valuation.

Now the next curve ball, what do you pay vat and duty on? What you paid or revenues value?

Will never be worthwhile to bring one in now.

VAT and duty is on what you actually paid. But you also pay it over the transport and insurance cost to get the car here.

• Advertisement

You might think that but revenue are saying the VAT and Customs Duty (if applicable) is based on the "import value" of the car. Another opportunity for them to pick a random number out of the air and let you fight them.

Advertisement