Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nah, invoice value should do the trick. Unless it is blatantly fraudulent. People buy classic muscle cars from the USA and have reported this in the classic cars forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote: »
    It's not that complicated and it makes a lot of car's cheaper. Pretty much anything with a 31k to 42k on the road price received a benefit from the VRT drop.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114945857&postcount=145

A) it's more complicated than it was
    B) the VRT curve is ridiculous - no VRT change for the cheapest, VRT increase for mid-specs and, VRT decrease for high-end EVs
    C) it's more complicated that 0 VAT and 0 VRT for EVs in Norway!

unkel wrote: »
    Nah, invoice value should do the trick. Unless it is blatantly fraudulent. People buy classic muscle cars from the USA and have reported this in the classic cars forum.

How? As in you declare lower value? :cool:
    The trick Chinese suppliers from Alibaba do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

When I imported my 85 suburban from the US the import duty and customs were charged on the actual amounts paid for purchase and freight/shipping costs, not a made up number.

Probably deserves it's own thread. But I guess with the VRT and NOx fines for bringing in cancerous diesels now dried up, the government wants to make up for it somewhere. Agreed a hefty increase in VRT and motor tax for new diesel cars (think minimum 30% VRT, minimum €1000 motor tax) while leaving alone the previous €35k cap on zero VRT for pure EVs would have been better

Yeah, don't touch the VRT rebate or grant at least.
    Way too early touching the rebate - as I said, it's criminal to do this if you have 1% EVs on the road. You take these steps when you have solid penetration and need the money and not when you've no Evs and the budget effects are minimal. They should have increased the rebate - see France, Germany etc.

It's really pathetic and it shows that the 2030 1M EVs "goal" is just a waffle. Irish Gov goals are typically a waffle - lot of talk and PR but then actions show the real intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Irish Government increases incentive for cars with RRP of 52,000 and less, and we're treating that as a backward step?
    Yeah, don't touch the VRT rebate or grant at least.
    Way too early touching the rebate - as I said, it's criminal to do this if you have 1% EVs on the road. You take these steps when you have solid penetration and need the money and not when you've no Evs and the budget effects are minimal. They should have increased the rebate - see France, Germany etc.

So what your saying is we should reverse the change and make cars under 52,000 more expensive again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Justinwick

Would anyone know the process for paying vat and custom duties on a classic car import from the US?

I assume the car comes in, at point of entry you pay import duty and vat. Then once paid take to motor tax office t pay vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

1366913983324.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Justinwick wrote: »
    Would anyone know the process for paying vat and custom duties on a classic car import from the US?

I assume the car comes in, at point of entry you pay import duty and vat. Then once paid take to motor tax office t pay vrt.

From the US, I was contacted by Revenue to pay vat and customs before the car arrived at the port.

Then all that remained was to collect the car and I had 28 days driving legally on US plates before the VRT was done (appointment must be booked within 7 days and vrt done within 28 days of arrival).

Simple process, once you have the money!

liamog wrote:
    Irish Government increases incentive for cars with RRP of 52,000 and less, and we're treating that as a backward step?

liamog wrote:
    So what your saying is we should reverse the change and make cars under 52,000 more expensive again?

No, make it simple. Make it linear. Just like Norway.
    No VAT, no "VRT".

Plus the rebate has decreased for some cars.

You didn't address my point regarding penetration - you don't mess up with the incentives when you've no EVs! You can start doing that when you have, I don't know 30%.

I honestly don't understand how you can defend the Gov "strategy". It's not ambitious enough and it's even counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    No, make it simple. Make it linear. Just like Norway.
    No VAT, no "VRT".

Plus the rebate has decreased for some cars.

You didn't address my point regarding penetration - you don't mess up with the incentives when you've no EVs! You can start doing that when you have, I don't know 30%.

I honestly don't understand how you can defend the Gov "strategy". It's not ambitious enough and it's even counterproductive.

Linear incentives are regressive, more of the benefit accrues to those who purchase the higher value item. I would rather see EV incentives spent on enabling Clio drivers to switch to Zoe's than BMW 3 Series drivers switch to Model 3s.

I think the reduction of the VRT to 7% from 14% goes a way to achieve this, especially when balanced with the tapering of the VRT Rebate.

Reversing the new system would increase the cost of cars with a RRP between 38k and 50k. Why do you think making cars in that price more expensive in order to reduce the cars between 50k and 75k is a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Scrapping the BIK on used cars would help a lot to drive up imports of used cars like the model S. At the moment you could import a used one for 40k but your charged BIK as if was the new cost of 100k+

Haven't you heard about brexit, drunkmonkey? :p

Importing EVs from the UK is no longer an option because of import duty and 21% VAT (in a few weeks back up to 23%) as well as the VRT you are talking about

Isn't the vat kind of irrelevant, you just don't pay the UK and pay the Irish Vat instead, rebate on the VRT not sure about the duty but the overall cost couldn't be a lot more.

What's the other option, import from Malta?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Haven't you heard about brexit, drunkmonkey? :p

Importing EVs from the UK is no longer an option because of import duty and 21% VAT (in a few weeks back up to 23%) as well as the VRT you are talking about

Maybe we should convince the EU to pay us to switch to LHD, then we could import cars from France :)

I know, pipe dreams :rolleyes:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Isn't the vat kind of irrelevant, you just don't pay the UK and pay the Irish Vat instead, rebate on the VRT not sure about the duty but the overall cost couldn't be a lot more.

What's the other option, import from Malta?

Only works for new cars imported from the UK, used cars already have the VAT paid and the seller can't claim it back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Maybe we should convince the EU to pay us to switch to LHD, then we could import cars from France :)

I know, pipe dreams :rolleyes:

Ah, the heady days when I lived in Spain and imported cars from Germany. The choice of some very classy cars was mind boggling, and I took full advantage. :D

Another reason to campaign for a United Ireland.

Step 1: Fix the North
    Step 2: Start importing loads of 2nd hand LHD cars
    Step 3: Switch the roads to LHD

We should be designing infrastructure with an eventual switch in mind

Only works for new cars imported from the UK, used cars already have the VAT paid and the seller can't claim it back

Can the irish buyer claim it back from the UK?

liamog wrote: »
    Another reason to campaign for a United Ireland.

Step 1: Fix the North
    Step 2: Start importing loads of 2nd hand LHD cars
    Step 3: Switch the roads to LHD

We should be designing infrastructure with an eventual switch in mind

I'm thinking leaving the EU might be a better option, it's looking like a disaster for us to stay in it. Locking us down is hiding the true extent of the problem.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking leaving the EU might be a better option, it's looking like a disaster for us to stay in it. Locking us down is hiding the true extent of the problem.

I'm going to mod note this:

If you want to get into politics discussions, try and at least keep them related to EV's else do it on the Politics forum
    Example, if you want to leave the EU to ensure we have access to 2nd hand cars from the UK - OKish
    If you want to discuss taxation and subsidies as it applies to motoring and EV takeup - OK

If you just don't feel the EU is good as a concept - Politics Forum
    If you have a problem with income tax levels - Politics Forum

If you want to discuss anything Covid related, beyond delivery delays/questions re pick up - Covid-19 forum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A guy on the Tesla Facebook group is selling his Blue 2019 Model 3 SR+
    30,000km
    €39,950

Based in Northern Ireland and on NI plates, so a straight forward import..

Another €7k will get you a brand new white Made in China model with LFP battery, so for anyone looking for teh original battery version one, this be it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Seems like a good price for this
    2015 i3
    60ah, whatever that is in Kw with range extender.
    120,000km
    home and remote charger.
    €12k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-bmw-i3/26974335

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Honestly, never heard of a vacuum cleaner that seller, the mind boggles

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Honestly, never heard of a vacuum cleaner that seller, the mind boggles

Maybe that's what the boot looks like AFTER it's been vacuumed

I'm guessing a fairly hairy dog has been living in that car

I wonder is the cross hanging from the mirror included or not? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2015 i3
    120,000km
    home and remote charger.
    €12k

Roughly 22 kWh.

2015 i3
    120,000km
    home and remote charger.
    €12k

Not a bad price for what it is, but for just about €4k more you'd have a very late 2016 94Ah (33kWh) with the full benefits of being a full BEV (more desirable, relatively lower depreciation, cheaper tax, cheaper maintenance, cheaper running costs, higher reliability, etc.) Over a few years, it might not cost a cent more in total cost of ownership

I'd go the extra few grand myself...

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A guy on the Tesla Facebook group is selling his Blue 2019 Model 3 SR+
    30,000km
    €39,950

Based in Northern Ireland and on NI plates, so a straight forward import..

Another €7k will get you a brand new white Made in China model with LFP battery, so for anyone looking for teh original battery version one, this be it!!

Is that not a very limited audience given the group is for Tesla owners, and is private.

unkel wrote:
    Not a bad price for what it is, but for just about €4k more you'd have a very late 2016 94Ah (33kWh) with the full benefits of being a full BEV (more desirable, relatively lower depreciation, cheaper tax, cheaper maintenance, cheaper running costs, higher reliability, etc.) Over a few years, it might not cost a cent more in total cost of ownership

16k for i3 94ah? Where? Cause I'd sell mine, bought it and made profit :)

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    16k for i3 94ah? Where? Cause I'd sell mine, bought it and made profit :)

Check the sticky on the very top of this forum ;)

Advertisement