Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is that not a very limited audience given the group is for Tesla owners, and is private.

Yes, he specifically posted in the FB group to see if any members were looking before going through the process of advertising it on the usual sites.

A few PM’s were seemly passed on so it may have been a worthy post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It seems expensive compared to latest updated one is the new battery really that undesirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It seems expensive compared to latest updated one is the new battery really that undesirable?

No it's more desirable in my book. The Tesla Model 3 just has a ridiculously low rate of depreciation. Good if you're selling, not so good for buying. I'd buy new, not second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is that not a very limited audience given the group is for Tesla owners, and is private.

It’s been posted now in the Irish EV owners Facebook page, which isn’t an exclusive group...

unkel wrote: »
    No it's more desirable in my book. The Tesla Model 3 just has a ridiculously low rate of depreciation. Good if you're selling, not so good for buying. I'd buy new, not second hand.

Is that down to the better build quality of the Chinese version, that 580km supposed sounds good, I'd be concerned you'd loose half of that in winter though when it comes to motorways.

• Advertisement

LiFePo4 chemistry is more robust, has a longer cycle lifetime and is one of the few lithium chemistries that is completely safe, can't go up in flames. These are major benefits, even though they weigh a bit more per kWh than most other lithium chemistries used in EVs

The range of Chinese made EVs for the Chinese market is expressed in the NEDC cycle range, which we have long abandoned here in Europe as it is totally unrealistic. Have a look at the WLTP range for the car, that will give you a realistic idea of range, but not at motorway speeds and not in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A guy on the Tesla Facebook group is selling his Blue 2019 Model 3 SR+
    30,000km
    €39,950

Based in Northern Ireland and on NI plates, so a straight forward import..

Another €7k will get you a brand new white Made in China model with LFP battery, so for anyone looking for teh original battery version one, this be it!!

Straightforward import, but is it VRT free as the seller is claiming?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is VRT free as the new 7% rate is covered by the grant for SR+, only for SR+.
    Theres VRT on the LR and P models.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For €7k I’d prefer a new one, console/dechrome cosmetic and then power tail lift and heat pump non-cosmetic. One years extra warranty too of course.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The problem is, a new one has the new MIC inferior battery.
    An older SR+ is a better buy. You can retrofit everything except the heat pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't like the black handles on the newer model.

But inferior is a relative term, that used M3 will have suffered degradation after 1+ yrs of use which would flatten the inferiority somewhat.
    Only time can tell on long term battery health.
    Tapping into a Tesla’s internal circuitry for the power tail lift will also potentially impact warranty (I was informed by Tesla of this as they saw my dashcam during Ranger visit but I have it tapped into the OBD2 port so they said okay).
    Horses for courses, at that money I’d prefer a used S (obviously as that’s what I did)

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Straightforward import, but is it VRT free as the seller is claiming?

Yes.

It would want to be cheaper for me to consider it over a new 2021 Refresh model for "only" 7k more.

I personally like the dechrome look and have my MS booked for a dechrome in the coming weeks :)

slave1 wrote: »
    But inferior is a relative term, that used M3 will have suffered degradation after 1+ yrs of use which would flatten the inferiority somewhat.
    Only time can tell on long term battery health.
    Tapping into a Tesla’s internal circuitry for the power tail lift will also potentially impact warranty (I was informed by Tesla of this as they saw my dashcam during Ranger visit but I have it tapped into the OBD2 port so they said okay).
    Horses for courses, at that money I’d prefer a used S (obviously as that’s what I did)

They try and scare you with that type of bull tbh. The SC staff are clueless.

I'd also prefer a used S as that's what I did too but that's beside the point, some people want the newer plate inferior car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes.

It would want to be cheaper for me to consider it over a new 2021 Refresh model for "only" 7k more.

and the €7k more is only getting you the white one, this one is dechromed and blue. so the only real difference between this and a new one is the battery, heat pump & centre console.

The paint job isn't great and scratches easily, china paint job would be a lot better I'd assume.
    Your not selling me on a 2yr old for 7k less than a new one is a bargain.

and the €7k more is only getting you the white one, this one is dechromed and blue. so the only real difference between this and a new one is the battery, heat pump & centre console.

Funny thing is, if I was buying new tomorrow, even with all the money in the world, I’d buy white. I like while cars.

Differences to me would be :

Heat pump
    Interior redesign
    Powered boot
    Dechrome
    Better quality glazing which is noticeable
    Heated steering wheel *still rumour that it’s in the UI

That be said, I personally am not a fan of the SR, SR+ or LR.
    I wouldn’t buy unless I could afford a Performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Car sales must be fecked lately. Traded in a Mazda 131 diesel last year for 9k. Enquired about my 162 BMW i3 Rex for trade in. Best I've gotten so far is 17k!

That's a decent trade in value for the i3. You wouldn't get that in a private sale. But as always, a trade in value is meaningless out of context. What are you buying and what is your net cost to change is the pertinent question.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Car sales must be fecked lately. Traded in a Mazda 131 diesel last year for 9k. Enquired about my 162 BMW i3 Rex for trade in. Best I've gotten so far is 17k!

That sounds right. I sold my 162 top spec i3 94Ah in June last year for €20k. Now when I say top spec, it had every single option available except the radar controlled distance thing that was part of the cruise control.

• Advertisement

17k seems bang on if a little high, seems like there a cost to change mask going on.

Look privately and see what they sell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Back on topic:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s85-free-supercharging/26925886
    High mileage but the cheapest I've seen in ROI. HIlarious shot plonking it in the middle of Temple Bar for a photo.

Not a bad price at all, but car looks pretty basic, no sunroof, no warranty and the NCT is up at the end of next week. 3 owners in Ireland already and the car is not even taxed LOL!

Battery and drivetrain covered by Tesla of course for another 2 years but you'd want to make sure everything is working.

This car would cost no more than GBP26k in the UK, so it's unfortunate we don't have that route any more...

How do you know NCT is up end of next week?

ncts.ie -> check NCT availability -> enter reg

Ah of course. The full reg is in the photos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

garo wrote: »
    Back on topic:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s85-free-supercharging/26925886
    High mileage but the cheapest I've seen in ROI. HIlarious shot plonking it in the middle of Temple Bar for a photo.

Used as a Limo ...

sharkman wrote: »
    Used as a Limo ...

I should hope not. The car is registered for private car tax (not PSV) and also for private car NCT, not commercial test

Good to see you around sharkman, haven't seen you post in ages!

Misleading description too, 85kWh battery whereas the battery is actually 81kWh (77kWh usable),in fairness Tesla have always misled with Model names inferring battery size

• Advertisement

Very few manufacturers indicate battery as the actual usable capacity. Hyundai / Kia do and so does VW, anyone else that I forgot?

Advertisement