Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    Misleading description too, 85kWh battery whereas the battery is actually 81kWh (77kWh usable),in fairness Tesla have always misled with Model names inferring battery size

In fairness, it’s the same as Nissan Lead owners stating their car has a 24 kWh battery. It’s the advertised figures.

My bmw is a 2 litre engine, well actually it’s not, it’s a 1.995 L engine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not the same really, the Leaf has 24kWh battery, not all is usable but it has that size battery.
    The Model S 85 does not have an 85kWh battery, it's 81kWh/~77kWh usable (when new), actually less usable now after mid 2019 software updates.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not the same really, the Leaf has 24kWh battery, not all is usable but it has that size battery.
    The Model S 85 does not have an 85kWh battery, it's 81kWh/~77kWh usable (when new), actually less usable now after mid 2019 software updates.

Agh right that’s fair enough then. I did not know that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

UK plates, so add 10% import duty, 21% VAT and also VRT...

• Advertisement

Sneaky if so as it's not mentioned in the listing and it's from a reputable dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ELM327 wrote: »
    Sneaky if so as it's not mentioned in the listing and it's from a reputable dealer.

Along the top of the ad it reads: "This vehicle has a recognised UK/NI registration plate. However, we cannot currently verify ownership of this vehicle in the UK."

Yes but that's pretty standard greenlight verification, no indication that the price is ex VAT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »

If it's registered to a business then you can claim the UK VAT back I think. Still need to pay Irish VAT but at least you won't be double taxed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I checked and the car is on UK plates, but will actually be sold for that price on Irish plates, with warranty etc. The dealer doesn't know a lot about them, doesn't know if AP is working.
    If it's registered to a business then you can claim the UK VAT back I think.

No you can't. Some cars in the UK are VAT qualifying, which means you don't pay any UK VAT when buying them. But once the UK VAT has been paid, the new owner in Ireland can claim it back

• Advertisement

€39k all in and he's making money on that.
    Wonder what he picked it up for.

Indeed. Was wondering that myself. Or is he paying import duty and VAT?

I checked and the car is on UK plates, but will actually be sold for that price on Irish plates, with warranty etc. The dealer doesn't know a lot about them, doesn't know if AP is working.

No you can't. Some cars in the UK are VAT qualifying, which means you don't pay any UK VAT when buying them. But once the UK VAT has been paid, the new owner in Ireland can claim it back
    It's AP2 at least, going by the side camera image.
    Even if it's not enabled (which can be checked quickly in the menus) its only a few k and you're still getting a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

If it's registered to a business then you can claim the UK VAT back I think. Still need to pay Irish VAT but at least you won't be double taxed

This is incorrect.

The car has to have been registered to a VAT-registered business in the UK for it to qualify for input VAT reclaim. Hence the VAT Qualifying notice you see on some cars.

As a buyer in Ireland, the only way you can get that car out of the UK without UK VAT is to buy it in your Irish VAT-registered business. You will still have to pay Irish VAT on the importation.

It's AP2 at least, going by the side camera image.
    Even if it's not enabled (which can be checked quickly in the menus) its only a few k and you're still getting a good deal.

Yep I told him this :-)

Did you mean can't claim the VAT back? ;)

I thought the deal was that either the seller can deduct the VAT (since it hasn't been paid yet) and say the car was exported, or the buyer can pay the UK VAT and claim it back once they export the vehicle

The tricky part seems to be ensuring the car is never under private ownership. So if a car dealership is selling a former company vehicle, then it was never owned by a private individual, and is VAT qualifying

However if some random person buys a company vehicle, and registers it to their house, then it isn't VAT qualifying because it's now a private vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

This is incorrect.

The car has to have been registered to a VAT-registered business in the UK for it to qualify for input VAT reclaim. Hence the VAT Qualifying notice you see on some cars.

As a buyer in Ireland, the only way you can get that car out of the UK without UK VAT is to buy it in your Irish VAT-registered business. You will still have to pay Irish VAT on the importation.

My sons a brickie employing several other construction workers as a sub contractor in Kent , his full time original address is Derry
    Does anyone know if I can buy a car off him without paying vrt etc, or can he "gift " me a car that he has owned several months

Thanks for any advice which will be v welcome, it's a v confusing scenario and one that my old brain can't break down properly

No. If he already owns a car in Derry on NI plates, then he can give / sell it to you alright and you won't have to pay VRT / import duty as NI is still part of the EU as of the Brexit deal. But not a car on GB plates. And he can't register his GB plated car in NI either and then expect to export it to ROI without VAT / import duty either.

Messy as fuk, I never got my goal of UK dealer deducting UK VAT (as NEW car for export) from a more than 6month old but less than 6k kms on the clock.
    Plan was to take it over the 6k kms prior to VRT inspection and escape Irish VAT.
    Those cars were like hen's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

My sons a brickie employing several other construction workers as a sub contractor in Kent , his full time original address is Derry
    Does anyone know if I can buy a car off him without paying vrt etc, or can he "gift " me a car that he has owned several months

Thanks for any advice which will be v welcome, it's a v confusing scenario and one that my old brain can't break down properly

No is the short answer.

you have to register the car within 30 days of landing it in Ireland regardless of whether it was a gift or you bought it.

VRT will be payable.

VAT will be payable.
    customs duty may be payable, depending on the car.

• Advertisement

No. If he already owns a car in Derry on NI plates, then he can give / sell it to you alright and you won't have to pay VRT / import duty as NI is still part of the EU as of the Brexit deal. But not a car on GB plates. And he can't register his GB plated car in NI either and then expect to export it to ROI without VAT / import duty either.

Feck, no he's UK plates, but was going to get him buy a Prius or fit hybrid in Derry in his name tax it for 3 months then "sell "it to me, but from memory I thought you had to have the vehicle in your name taxed etc for 12 months to escape vrt,

(did something similar in 99 when I moved back to Cork)

Thanks

You have to keep the car in your (ie his) name for 12 months after import. The only way he could import without VRT is by residence transfer. And since this is not happening here, there is no legal way for you to get the car without paying VRT (and possibly VAT/import duty too depending on GB/NI)

You have to keep the car in your (ie his) name for 12 months after import. The only way he could import without VRT is by residence transfer. And since this is not happening here, there is no legal way for you to get the car without paying VRT (and possibly VAT/import duty too depending on GB/NI)

Thanks

Low mileage 2019 Kona for under €30k

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/kona/fpa/202102058737877?journey=Search

I know the Kona isn't the best specced vehicle out there, but it seems like a good price for a long range EV

Low mileage 2019 Kona for under €30k

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/kona/fpa/202102058737877?journey=Search

I know the Kona isn't the best specced vehicle out there, but it seems like a good price for a long range EV

Just like the Leaf24/30, want to be sure that's a 64kWh version, could be 39kWh

Just like the Leaf24/30, want to be sure that's a 64kWh version, could be 39kWh

Fair point, did they bring out the 39kWh version in 2019? I thought that only landed in 2020 along with the Kia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

162 Ioniq for €13,999 from Electric Autos - highish mileage but from a very trustworthy source in Phil:

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/hyundai/ioniq/kildare/2749880

It was mentioned here last week that it was incoming. Great value for money. If I were in the market for another EV, I'd scoop this up. Someone want to buy a performance Tesla while I wait on the delivery of my Plaid+? :pac:

€40k Model 3 SR+ anyone, looks in excellent nick and some appealing extras...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-sr-zero-roi-import-charges/27172436

• Advertisement

The owner is in the Tesla Owners FB group.

Advertisement