Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    We've been over this and , while I see they say they wont allow, they have no basis to define that.

Good luck arguing that point when trying to register here and the computer / admin clerk says no :p

And that they won't register here until after you've paid the VAT / VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    Good luck arguing that point when trying to register here and the computer / admin clerk says no :p

Yeah the defaulters list is full of people who thought revenue had no basis for collecting tax :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You know yourself it's always pay and appeal ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tell them nothin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Careful in case u find this bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi Guys,

Quick question.

I've found a 2015 Outlander PHEV for sale in NI that I'm interested in from a dealer there.

I asked them if it had been brought into NI prior to Dec 31st 2020 and showed them the Revenue link:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...n-ireland.aspx

They said:

"The vehicle was indeed brought into Northern Ireland from GB prior to January 1st. If you proceeded with the purchase, I can provide evidence of this for you to avoid paying the expensive VAT on top of the sales price."

Now what I'm wondering is if they just bought this at an auction in the UK (I'm pretty sure it was UK car) and brought to NI prior to end of Dec 2020 is that sufficient?

Or would they have needed to "register" it in NI prior to that date also? And if so what's the proof of that which I should be looking for?

My worry is while the dealer will say "everything will be fine", Revenue may take a different view unless I have exactly what they are looking for.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Any just to clarify if it is "registered" in NI prior to Dec 2020, I should not have to pay VAT or duty, just VRT as before?

Unkel, your comments suggest this will not work out?

Thanks!

It would have had to be registered to a NI address prior to 01/01/2021 to be safe

When a dealer says "everything will be fine, don't worry", run a mile :p

Plenty of fish in the sea, pick a safer one. Although I fully realise the Outlander PHEV was one of the bargains to be had in the UK last year compared to Irish prices.

It would have had to be registered to a NI address prior to 01/01/2021 to be safe

When a dealer says "everything will be fine, don't worry", run a mile :p

Plenty of fish in the sea, pick a safer one. Although I fully realise the Outlander PHEV was one of the bargains to be had in the UK last year compared to Irish prices.

Thanks a million for the quick reply!

When a dealer buys a car do they normally register it?

Or will it be registered still to it's previous owner? Which would be in the UK, so no good.

In terms of finding a better one, they are terrible value in Ireland so I probably would not bother buying one here.

I should have bought from UK late last year but was foolishly under impresssion than only a no deal would = customs + VAT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blobert wrote: »

I should have bought from UK late last year but was foolishly under impresssion than only a no deal would = customs + VAT

Unkel has been warning us since February 2020 at least that the end was coming to UK cars :D

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. Until the end I was still (wishful) thinking "surely they will strike some sort of deal that will keep everything the same", but alas. Welcome to the brexit, Sir! :p
    blobert wrote: »
    When a dealer buys a car do they normally register it?

Or will it be registered still to it's previous owner? Which would be in the UK, so no good.

I'm not quite sure tbh. In general car dealers tend not to register a car to themselves while they have it for sale. Perhaps they have the required paperwork for the car that is needed to make it a non-VATtable car when it goes on into the ROI. I wouldn't want to be the person to guinea pig this process with the Irish revenue though...

• Advertisement

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. Until the end I was still (wishful) thinking "surely they will strike some sort of deal that will keep everything the same", but alas. Welcome to the brexit, Sir! :p

I'm not quite sure tbh. In general car dealers tend not to register a car to themselves while they have it for sale. Perhaps they have the required paperwork for the car that is needed to make it a non-VATtable car when it goes on into the ROI. I wouldn't want to be the person to guinea pig this process with the Irish revenue though...

Thanks, I'd agree. I had a lot of hassle with Revenue (they refused to believe I bought it as cheaply as I did!) importing a car from Japan and then registering it last year. I'd be wary of similar.

The dealer in NI says:

"Looking at the revenue requirements, as long as the vehicle has been brought into Northern Ireland prior to 1st of January it means no VAT.
    If required I can backdate the V5 into our name and address also."

I'm thinking if it was in UK prior to end 2020 AND registered to an address there then Revenue should have no complaints???

The dealer is probably right, if he can prove the car was in NI last year it should be no problem. There might be some paperwork needed for this proof, I don't know exactly what.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If its a good deal, then its definitely worth exploring.

Gumbo wrote: »
    If its a good deal, then its definitely worth exploring.

Thanks, do you know there's if any way I could contact Revenue to clarify before going ahead with it? I foresee even if I think I have everything correct, someone saying "no" at some point!

In terms of a deal it's not as good as I could have got from UK before Brexit.

But it's probably circa €4k+ better than you could get in Ireland and way cheaper than if you brought in from UK with VAT + Customs so I think its worth doing it it will work.

Cheapest Tesla in Ireland

142 reg Model S 85, 2 years NCT, 22kW on board charging and probably more goodies, but you'll need to get the VIN to check them out. Was just serviced by Tesla Sandyford, so I presume everything is working as it should. 16-17 months left of the Tesla battery and drivetrain warranty

Private sale, asking €35,250. Not a huge bargain at that, but I'd say a better deal can be had

ZGVkNDBiYmQ0OWY2ODkyMjVkYzYyY2RkZDhjNzgxYjMVzDfE784PIsmEojOJEcwtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI3MzkwMTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cheapest Tesla in Ireland

142 reg Model S 85, 2 years NCT, 22kW on board charging and probably more goodies, but you'll need to get the VIN to check them out. Was just serviced by Tesla Sandyford, so I presume everything is working as it should. 16-17 months left of the Tesla battery and drivetrain warranty

Private sale, asking €35,250. Not a huge bargain at that, but I'd say a better deal can be had

ZGVkNDBiYmQ0OWY2ODkyMjVkYzYyY2RkZDhjNzgxYjMVzDfE784PIsmEojOJEcwtaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI3MzkwMTd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Tidy profit for you unkel. :Wink:

If it's a few months old like the ad says, it's kinda bargain.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyunday-kona-electric/26679154

€30k Kona, teal/blue colour, 10k km on the clock. From the pictures it looks like they only granny plug charged it. Nice savings on a new one, though at the end of the day it's still a Kona and was/is never worth the ROTR price of ~€40k

N2EwMThkMzk3OTYxYThhZWVhZDJlYTMwYTgwMTJhNzNM3GGN_x-85or0lLpGQWdTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQwNjk0NzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Too expensive for a non AP car.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Too expensive for a non AP car.

You can give it a better level 2 autonomous driving system than AP1 for a few hundred quid :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If it's a few months old like the ad says, it's kinda bargain.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyunday-kona-electric/26679154

€30k Kona, teal/blue colour, 10k km on the clock. From the pictures it looks like they only granny plug charged it. Nice savings on a new one, though at the end of the day it's still a Kona and was/is never worth the ROTR price of ~€40k

Line that always gets me is the "Genuine reason for Sale"

If you didnt have a genuine reason for sale.. you could still say it anyway?

Kona is a hard sell now. Esp when the competition in June '20 was really heating up.

• Advertisement

It's not "a few months old", the car is from January 2020, so well over a year old

Still a bargain though and they are not going to refuse a real offer of €29k, are they? Even €28k? I smell a bargain there alright :D

Kona was a great option in '19 but unfortunately its unicornness then has been usurped now. It was a poorly equipped paddy spec version of the UK kona but it had massive range for the time.

So many better options available now for the money. I watched Bob Flavin's review of the ID4 last night and that is a much better bet than a kona new for similar amount.

There are no other €28k cars though with a real life range of 400km. And as such it is a bargain. Last year when your man bought it for €38k or €39k, not so much. That is a huge depreciation on an EV, the likes of which we haven't seen since some people bought overpriced original Leafs in 2016/2017 just before they were heavily discounted and then discontinued.

Based now on 28k yes for a used one, but that's after massive depreciation.
    A new one is still 40k+ and still isnt specced properly even compared to the Eniro/Esoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Is that tilted picture for the S85 doing anyone else's head in?

garo wrote: »

I genuinely thought the car had been parked in some bushes at first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

garo wrote: »

What is it with tilted pictures?

Look at photo 5 of the Kona too. What's the point.

Very wide car, narrow drive way. If you still want someone to be able to walk past, you have to park it very close to the bushes :p

NIMAN wrote: »
    Look at photo 5 of the Kona too. What's the point.

I guess they didn't firgure out how to rotate photos on their phone :)

EDIT: Also check the spelling, never heard of a Hyunday :D

• Advertisement

It's not "a few months old", the car is from January 2020, so well over a year old

Still a bargain though and they are not going to refuse a real offer of €29k, are they? Even €28k? I smell a bargain there alright :D

Was trying to see when it might be bought. Service in July might suggest a July car? No sign of tax in the window though, and insurance renewal dates can mean nothing. Paranoid much.

Advertisement