Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

ELM327 wrote: »
    PTC heater is a plug and play replacement surely? On a petrol 1500 project car I'd tackle that myself so I'd give it a go here too.

It's a pain in the arse to get to it and in a stupid place - centre console/dash out job - so disaster if it goes in an otherwise usable Leaf as I've seen quotes of 2k+ from Nissan UK to replace, most of it being labour (making some cars a write-off because of a bloody heater, madness). But I guess if you're going to be doing surgery on this one anyway it's not a big deal. Spare ones can get got for pennies on fleabay too.

Have we been given clear and decisive answers about whether battery extensions impact the ability of the car to be covered under normal insurance policy?

I thought this was still an open question? And until answered the range extensions / battery replacement are experiments and not really viable options for real consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have we been given clear and decisive answers about whether battery extensions impact the ability of the car to be covered under normal insurance policy?

I thought this was still an open question? And until answered the range extensions / battery replacement are experiments and not really viable options for real consideration?

It's a closed question. It's a modification to the car and has to be declared to the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, I ended up in a row with the Irish crowd doing these battery upgrades for asking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's an insane waste of money anyway. Why spend €7k on a €4k car and end up with a car worth maybe €6k?

€5k down the drain that you will never get back...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It's an insane waste of money anyway. Why spend €7k on a €4k car and end up with a car worth maybe €6k?

The battery is disconnectable afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Might be worth making a call to the lads in Wicklow, who have taken on the Muxsan franchise. They might have a look at it.

details?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

But there are non-financial benefits, if you are happy with the car and want to extent it's life, a lot of energy and raw materials in a new car that can be avoided with a battery swap out.
    I'm 90% committed to battery swap for our L30 when it no longer becomes usable for us, by then it will make economical sense.
    Same again with the Tesla

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lol, I ended up in a row with the Irish crowd doing these battery upgrades for asking that.

Sure it's just the same as putting in a higher capacity 12v battery :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Sure it's just the same as putting in a higher capacity 12v battery :D
    The guy promoting this really hasnt a clue. He was on one of the IEVOA calls recently and he showed he worked in the NGO industry for years by his lack of awareness

I told him this was a modification and as fuch needs to be declared to the insurance co. He disagreed and blocked me!

The guy promoting this really hasnt a clue. He was on one of the IEVOA calls recently and he showed he worked in the NGO industry for years by his lack of awareness

I told him this was a modification and as fuch needs to be declared to the insurance co. He disagreed and blocked me!

Have to agree with this - I had a scan through a recording of that meeting and afterwards I wouldn't give him my Casio to replace the battery in, much less let him mess around with my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Similar issue for me. I had queried the issues with insurance and been fobbed off a few times. Eventually he blocked me on twitter I think.

Then he posted in the Irish EV Owners Facebook page advertising his service. Not even doing so openly, as he obviously knew that the page doesn't allow advertising, but an obviously made up post about an overstay fee, with a subtle link to his business added at the end.

When I threw out the post he threw an absolute hissy fit and demanded that we change the rules just for him because he isn't even making a profit, just trying to save the world lol.

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a photo posted somewhere of him doing his own car in some sort of small dark block shed - to call it a backstreet operation would be giving it a compliment, it looked less than amateur and plain dangerous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

2017 BMW I3 94Ah with good spec
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27448116

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Leaf for €1950 with an electrical fault

Gone already!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ioniq38 for £22k, if true NI car then no VRT/VAT....

New battery on it's way for you so essentially a new car come end of the year given the interior and exterior of this car look excellent

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

slave1 wrote: »
    Ioniq38 for £22k, if true NI car then no VRT/VAT....

New battery on it's way for you so essentially a new car come end of the year given the interior and exterior of this car look excellent

Why would there be no VRT?

There will be no vat if the car was registered for 6 months in NI or imported to NI before 31st Dec 2020 but there will still be VRT To pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

reni10 wrote: »

There will be no vat if the car was registered for 6 months in NI or imported to NI before 31st Dec 2020 but there will still be VRT To pay.

Where are you getting that the car will need to be registered for 6 months in NI to avoid VAT being charged - I do not believe that the legislation includes such a requirement?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thought those 38s were all leather interiors? Pity. I've toyed with the idea of a 38 to give us some more range while the likes of the id4 are too pricey/not second hand yet. Would have to be a cheap upgrade though as I rate the 38 pretty poorly for it's shoddy charging speeds. 8-9k to add 60km+ extra range... Probably not worth it, but more worth £22 than the €34 original price

• Advertisement

reni10 wrote: »

There's €5k Vrt relief on electric vehicles, so if the Vrt is less than 5k, you pay no Vrt. In this case, it would be less than 5k.

Thought those 38s were all leather interiors? Pity. I've toyed with the idea of a 38 to give us some more range while the likes of the id4 are too pricey/not second hand yet. Would have to be a cheap upgrade though as I rate the 38 pretty poorly for it's shoddy charging speeds. 8-9k to add 60km+ extra range... Probably not worth it, but more worth £22 than the €34 original price

They are doing 3k eco upgrade so brand new Ioniq is just over 30k on the road. Its easy spend somebody else’s money but that seems better value than 26k for an imported 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

slave1 wrote:

Is that the one that catches fire? :)

McGiver wrote: »

Preheats, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Casati wrote:
    They are doing 3k eco upgrade so brand new Ioniq is just over 30k on the road. Its easy spend somebody else’s money but that seems better value than 26k for an imported 2019

Do you have details?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just charge until 90% until the battery replacement is done. Sorted.

Do you have details?

Check out there website - it’s all there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It sure does! A full year's manufacturer's warranty left and 4 years on battery and drive train

Great car for relatively little money. I'd buy another in the morning if I were in the market for a second family car and my budget would stretch that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭The lips

Leather heated seats in the description but not the photos, must e a dealer of sorts then?

Advertisement