Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FSD capabilities the ad says. That's ambiguous. All of them have the capability to have FSD (all hardware in place) but whether the owner actually paid for FSD makes all the difference here. If they did, the car is a bit of a bargain if you value what FSD may bring in the coming years. If it's not paid for, this car ain't no bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    FSD capabilities the ad says. That's ambiguous. All of them have the capability to have FSD (all hardware in place) but whether the owner actually paid for FSD makes all the difference here. If they did, the car is a bit of a bargain if you value what FSD may bring in the coming years. If it's not paid for, this car ain't no bargain...

I thought the FSD was removed when the car changes hands, something about it being linked to the owner and not the car?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I thought the FSD was removed when the car changes hands, something about it being linked to the owner and not the car?

Only when Tesla sells the car

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not sure, ad states
    Extra features

These are in addition to what this car typically comes with as standard:

Full Self-Driving Capability

Leads me to believe it has, anyhow, if anyone is interested they can go on chat and find out, also find out is it a pre 31.12.20 NI reg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

"Full Self-Driving Capability" is the name of the €7,500 add-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

S P85 £24k

This one is a potential bargain even with paying VAT on import?
    £24k = €27k
    €27k* 0.23 (VAT) = €6250
    Expenses = €750
    VRT = 0 (??)

Total: €34k landed. With free SuC for life, free premium connectivity, 22kW AC.

No warranty, big miles, the hassle of bringing it in - that's still a lot of money €34k

There's a late 2016 facelift white S75 in the North for £30k and there before Brexit so zero VAT

Linky

I couldn't stand white myself, but that's much more of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    ]S P85 £24k[/URL]

This one is a potential bargain even with paying VAT on import?
    £24k = €27k
    €27k* 0.23 (VAT) = €6250
    Expenses = €750
    VRT = 0 (??)

Total: €34k landed. With free SuC for life, free premium connectivity, 22kW AC.

Isn't there a 10% tariff now too? It's hard to keep up with the taxes these days :(.

No warranty, big miles, the hassle of bringing it in - that's still a lot of money €34k

There's a late 2016 facelift white S75 in the North for £30k and there before Brexit so zero VAT

Linky

Thats only a 75 though

Kramer wrote: »
    Isn't there a 10% tariff now too? It's hard to keep up with the taxes these days :(.

Yes, when I imported from outside the EU in 2015 there was VAT @ 21%, Customs/Excise @ 10% and VRT @ €200.

Adding the 10% makes it 37k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Linky

S75 though.
    I have a loaner S70 the last 2 weeks and I don’t like it at all. I want my P back!

• Advertisement

The smaller battery and rwd puts me off.

If it was a 75D then maybe, 4.2 to 100 and range just under that of an 85 RWD.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The smaller battery and rwd puts me off.

RWD is a big bonus over AWD :p

Agree with Gumbo though. Most Teslas feel lethargic when you are used to a P model. We're spoilt. I can't imagine what I'd buy next that is as good as our cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If the battery health is good then it's a decent price, not quite a bargain

Mileage isn't as good an indication of how good condition an EV is in. For example if you leave the battery at 100% without using the car for a long time then that'll degrade the battery more than driving 50km a day

You'd need to see a picture of the instrument cluster, there's a narrow ribbon of 12 bars to the right of the GOM. If the car has 12/12 bars then it has more than 85% of it's battery capacity remaining. Anything less than that will indicate the battery is degrading and will reduce the usable range

24kWh Leaf will typically get 100-120km of range.

If you're going to view the car, get yourself an OBD dongle and download LeafSpy on your phone. That's give you more detailed information on battery health

Wouldn't even call that a good price. It looks like a nice car that was well kept, but the price is high. It's from a dealer though, so you will get a warranty with it. Personally, for €10k I would want a 30kWh Leaf. For a few grand more than that again, you'd be in Ioniq territory

Don't like the way the ad states "Price includes VRT and Nox", is that a fresh import (nothing wrong with that), but I'd certainly like clarity on it's VATable status.
    9k max is all I'd give once it checks out.

slave1 wrote: »
    Don't like the way the ad states "Price includes VRT and Nox", is that a fresh import (nothing wrong with that), but I'd certainly like clarity on it's VATable status.
    9k max is all I'd give once it checks out.

Yeah I found that pretty suspicious. I assumed it was just a generic like in the description, or else someone got screwed paying a NOX charge on a Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Wouldn't even call that a good price. It looks like a nice car that was well kept, but the price is high. It's from a dealer though, so you will get a warranty with it. Personally, for €10k I would want a 30kWh Leaf. For a few grand more than that again, you'd be in Ioniq territory

Do you really get a 30kWh Leaf for €10k in Ireland these days?

Yep, we've seen a few already. Now that won't be from a dealer and that is unlikely to be a car that looks as well or with as low a mileage as the above car, but they have been there alright. We've also already seen a sub €14k Ioniq. Also not the norm, but they are there.

• Advertisement

for 11-12k you would get a slighlty better 30kWh. If Hoovie's Garage has taught me anything, it's never buy the absolute cheapest :P

My usual tactic is to go for a reasonably priced half decent one and then through negotiations turned it into the absolute cheapest :p

My usual tactic is to go for a reasonably priced half decent one and then through negotiations turned it into the absolute cheapest :p

Are you available for hire? :D

Prices of Tesla Model S creeping up?

Cheapest one for sale in the country is now €37k. A pre-facelift white 70D. Private sale, no Auto Pilot, no warranty (apart from the Tesla warranty on battery and drivetrain for another 2 years). Not much of a bargain in my book. But I'm a bit biased as I don't like white cars.

Not sure it counts as a bargain but there are a few Konas going well below €30k

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/kona/fpa/202103099945311?journey=Search

I'm a bit suspicious considering the cheapest 64kWh E-Niros are asking over €35k. Was there a smaller battery Kona? I thought they only did the 64kWh version

I know the Irish Kona didn't have a great spec, but if it is the bigger battery then I'd say it's the cheapest long range EV going at the moment

There was only the 64kWh version of the Kona. eNiro is a newer, bigger, better equipped and more desirable car. Their prices will stay higher for a bit longer.

That said, a Kona electric in a private sale with an asking price of €27.5k (before haggling) most certainly is a bargain in my book!

Not sure it counts as a bargain but there are a few Konas going well below €30k

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/kona/fpa/202103099945311?journey=Search

17k km in over 2 years - barely 160km per week. That's likely 60c/km in depreciation alone, never mind possible finance costs, €200 to Hyundai for annual servicing & if they publically charged, upwards of €1/km to run that Kona :eek:.

upwards of €1/km to run that Kona :eek:.

Meh. Last time I taxed my Porsche for the year, the car cost me upwards of €2/km. In motor tax alone :eek:

Agree that it is crazy to have paid the guts of €40k for a small long range poor spec EV if you are not going to pick up any of the benefits of EV owning much in terms of fuel cost savings...

Meh. Last time I taxed my Porsche for the year, the car cost me upwards of €2/km. In motor tax alone :eek:

[mods PM'd as clearly someone has hacked unkel's account here......this is clearly not unkel :D]
    Agree that it is crazy to have paid the guts of €40k for a small long range poor spec EV if you are not going to pick up any of the benefits of EV driving much in terms of fuel cost savings...

Maybe it's a city thing? Culchie priorities are:
    1. will she pull a box?
    2. is she hard on daysul? &
    3. is the tax cheap?

Good for the used market though - the next clued in owner saves €10k & can rack up cheap miles.........she'll still have reasonable mileage after another 2 years at 35k km/year & have a year's warranty.....so hold good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

17k km in over 2 years - barely 160km per week. That's likely 60c/km in depreciation alone, never mind possible finance costs, €200 to Hyundai for annual servicing & if they publically charged, upwards of €1/km to run that Kona :eek:.

It’s possible that owner thought they’d be doing a lot more driving. Been a strange old time.

Advertisement