Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The same fella claiming that he's not in it for the money but charging €7-8k for upgrades?
    That's the chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

True, but it's pretty well known that Tesla don't sell their battery packs to independent repair shops, so any replacement done by an indy will be using a salvaged pack

Yep. Exactly the same as any replacement done by Tesla themselves will be a salvaged / refurbished pack ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

True, but it's pretty well known that Tesla don't sell their battery packs to independent repair shops, so any replacement done by an indy will be using a salvaged pack

Again, no problem with this per se, but I don't think you'd see the resale value go up so even stay where it is

Think of it this way, say you bought a Model S 75 with a severely depleted battery for €20k, and somehow you found a newer battery in good condition and got it replaced for €5k

So you've spent €25k, and a used Model S seems to be going for over €30k, so in theory you can sell that car for a profit. But I think when people see the battery has been swapped out of warranty and the new pack is salvaged from another car, they won't be happy paying €30k for that car

Now if you're looking to keep the car, then it might work out well because you get a good range Tesla at a discount. But as I said, I just don't see people making money off of it

Note: I pulled most of those numbers out of thin air, not saying those a representative costs :)

So much wrong with your posts.
    Are you aware that Tesla themselves replace batteries with salvaged batteries?

I don’t think people will be looking to make money from replacements.
    I got my EGR replaced on the 520d last year. I wouldn’t expect that car to increase in value now

Same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gumbo wrote: »
    So much wrong with your posts.
    Are you aware that Tesla themselves replace batteries with salvaged batteries?

True but they come with a warranty
    I don’t think people will be looking to make money from replacements.
    I got my EGR replaced on the 520d last year. I wouldn’t expect that car to increase in value now

Same situation.

You'd be surprised, I've spoken to folks who replaced tyres on cars and thought that would improve the resale value

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's a difference in how people see a replacement part coming from the manufacturer and installed by a manufacturer approved service center, and a part which came from a breakers yard and installed by Jim from down the road who knows about cars

I think if a lot of people saw the latter they'd consider the car to be lower value than the former

The original question was about an independent battery swap, not about a Tesla replacement, and whether they were cost effective

Personally I just can't see how it works out unless you get the parts at significant discount

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

True but they come with a warranty

Any repair on any car by any garage on any non-consumable item comes with a warranty.

You're really clutching at straws here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Seriously considering this as a second car:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2013-24kw-solar-panel/27521203

what are peoples thoughts?

Irishder wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2013-24kw-solar-panel/27521203

impossible to charge from home. pretty big problem I'd have said?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2013-24thought's-panel/27521203

I think we've seen that one before or something similar

No AC charging so unless you're happy to hear down to the local Chademo every couple of days it's not exactly convenient.

Judging from the range the seller is quoting it'll be around 11/12 bars of battery health. Most Leafs around that level seem to be going for around €6k

Might be worth ringing up the Nissan garage and checking the replacement cost of the on board charger. If it's less than €1500 then you can land yourself a decent second car at €1000 below the market rate

It might be worth asking the seller if he got it checked by Nissan, he might already have a diagnostic report and repair cost

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks for the reply's, didn't realize you couldn't charge it at home. The search continues

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the reply's, didn't realize you couldn't charge it at home. The search continues

It’s worth noting that these can normally charge at home. This particular car has an issue that needs to be fixed. Maybe the OBC.

So don’t rule out a similar car if it pops up.

• Advertisement

NI Leaf40 for €16.5k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/stunning-nissan-leaf/28090918

I think that's the base spec (SV???) so no propilot, but it's got all the basics

You'd be taking the risk on import, but if it's NI registered pre Brexit, like the ad describes, then you should be able to dodge VAT and customs tax, and VRT should be 0 anyway

Possibly a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its for sale a while and will likely be difficult to move for that seller given the AC fault it has.

If you're up for a challenge, give them a low ball offer and get the charger fixed. At least one other has managed that on the forum for €1500 or so.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112322816&postcount=72

I considered that Leaf, in fact I would still consider it, if I hadn't been sorted for a cheap EV already last weekend. But only if the car would be in the region of €2k and only because I live round the corner from a CHAdeMO charger that is never / rarely used

For the price of €3.6k (and even a bit less), I have seen fully working Leafs before and I will see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NI Leaf40 for €16.5k

I think that's the base spec (SV???) so no propilot, but it's got all the basics

You'd be taking the risk on import, but if it's NI registered pre Brexit, like the ad describes, then you should be able to dodge VAT and customs tax, and VRT should be 0 anyway

Possibly a bargain

140,000km on a car that's recently turned 3.
    That's serious mileage. And we were locked down for 1 of those years.

2 previous owners too for a car of 3yrs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

NI Leaf40 for €16.5k

Possibly a bargain

Would want to Leafspy that battery for sure, with that mileage and free public charging up North could have been rapid charged to death.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Would want to Leafspy that battery for sure, with that mileage and free public charging up North could have been rapid charged to death.

For sure, although you'd be looking at about 200km per day which is achievable without rapid charging

My main concern would be that you've only got about 20,000km left on the battery warranty, you could easily use that up in a year or two

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Visit the NI EV Facebook page and you'd nearly believe there's not a single working fcp up there. Probably not too far wrong either. Limited network for free and everyone trying to use it. You'd probably just rather pay for charging at home.

Visit the NI EV Facebook page and you'd nearly believe there's not a single working fcp up there. Probably not too far wrong either. Limited network for free and everyone trying to use it. You'd probably just rather pay for charging at home.

Black spots for sure but if you happen to be by a dependable CHAdeMO then you're away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was just looking at a 161 Leaf, SV 30kWh Cold Pack in white, with around 100k on the clock. Photo of display shows a full 12 bars, which is surprising, but what kind of range would you be looking at on a car like that? And what kind of price would be acceptable? Looks like a pretty clean car otherwise.

Alun wrote: »
    Was just looking at a 161 Leaf, SV 30kWh Cold Pack in white, with around 100k on the clock. Photo of display shows a full 12 bars, which is surprising, but what kind of range would you be looking at on a car like that? And what kind of price would be acceptable? Looks like a pretty clean car otherwise.

170/130 Summer/Winter around the town with AC on always.
    First bar goes at 85% so it's fine it still shows all 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

170/130 Summer/Winter around the town with AC on always.
    First bar goes at 85% so it's fine it still shows all 12.
    So it's not linear then? Would that range you're quoting be for a 100% battery?

Yes be careful if you do any motorway driving at 120km/h GPS speed. The Leafs don't like that - their range will drop like a brick (more than most other EVs)

I'd say range in winter at 120km/h GPS you'd be lucky to reach 100km in a 30kWh

Also, the Leaf 30kWh can be a good buy, but personally I wouldn't spend more than €10k on one, or you are getting very close to Ioniq territory, a far superior car in many ways (range, tech, efficiency, speed, acceleration, charging, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beet_root

Bought a 161 30kw Accenta recently with 45k km, Soh 90% and has a range at the moment of 180km (12 bars), paid 11.5k and am very happy with it so far (first EV), came with both chargers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Just on that 40 kWh leaf....

I see Electric Auto (Phil Fitzgerald) have a 2017 Ioniq premium SE at 17,900 with 42 k miles on the clock. ..

That sounds a better idea all round imo.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Old diesel wrote: »
    Just on that 40 kWh leaf....

I see Electric Auto (Phil Fitzgerald) have a 2017 Ioniq premium SE at 17,900 with 42 k miles on the clock. ..

That sounds a better idea all round imo.

I

I'm totally new to ev's and this will be a daft question I'm sure. I was thinking about getting a '19 Kona Electric with 24k km for c. €28.5k. Do people think the €10k over that Ioniq is worth it? It'll be used for an 80km round trip for work several days a week. We do a 300km trip about 3 times a year and another 200km trip about 3 times year.

Are there difference in charge speeds between the two models? Or is it just the size, age, mileage and range that make the difference?

Do people think the €10k over that Ioniq is worth it? It'll be used for an 80km round trip for work several days a week. We do a 300km trip about 3 times a year and another 200km trip about 3 times year.

Depends. On those 200 and 300km trips in Kona you would not have to stop to charge. In Ioniq you would have to charge once, depending on charger location, could be twice on the 300km trip

Apart from that the Ioniq is more comfortable, bigger and has a better spec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I was thinking about getting a '19 Kona Electric with 24k km for c. €28.5k.
    unkel wrote:
    Depends. On those 200 and 300km trips in Kona you would not have to stop to charge. In Ioniq you would have to charge once, depending on charger location, could be twice on the 300km trip

Has Kona dropped so low already?
    Any issues with the 19 version unkel?
    Bar batteries spontaneously combusting :) (kidding but the recall fixed it right? ).

I'm totally new to ev's and this will be a daft question I'm sure. I was thinking about getting a '19 Kona Electric with 24k km for c. €28.5k. Do people think the €10k over that Ioniq is worth it? It'll be used for an 80km round trip for work several days a week. We do a 300km trip about 3 times a year and another 200km trip about 3 times year.

Are there difference in charge speeds between the two models? Or is it just the size, age, mileage and range that make the difference?

That €10k gets you a savage range increase, that 19 Kona will be hitting well over 400kms range so effectively double the Ioniq.

That €10k gets you a savage range increase

Indeed, but he never needs more than Ioniq range, except on 6 days a year. Depends if it is important to him not to have to stop on those days.

Ioniq is far bigger and more comfortable car. Kona is a supermini size car really, very small in the back, suitable for 2 small kids max

So depends on his priorities and needs really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That €10k gets you a savage range increase, that 19 Kona will be hitting well over 400kms range so effectively double the Ioniq.
    Yes but it's at a 55% increase over the Ioniq price. And you lose a lot of features (adaptive cruise for instance), combined with the kona being so teeny it's a 2 seater effectively.

If it's only for 6 days a year, I'd keep the 10k and budget for some fast charging.

Advertisement