Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed, but he never needs more than Ioniq range, except on 6 days a year. Depends if it is important to him not to have to stop on those days.

Ioniq is far bigger and more comfortable car. Kona is a supermini size car really, very small in the back, suitable for 2 small kids max

So depends on his priorities and needs really
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but it's at a 55% increase over the Ioniq price. And you lose a lot of features (adaptive cruise for instance), combined with the kona being so teeny it's a 2 seater effectively.

If it's only for 6 days a year, I'd keep the 10k and budget for some fast charging.

Exactly. If it's 6 days a year, i'd take the ioniq every time. It's a far better spec'd machine than the kona, and far more practical. I only sold my ioniq because it couldn't carry everything we needed (growing family). The charging aspect didn't really bother me - sure didn't we have to stop in Roscrea on our last drive home because the kids weren't happy. I do like the extra range, but 10k in my pocket is pretty nice too. (there's an obvious argument which says I could of saved €10k and got the ID.4 city, but it's a lesser car spec'd car than the 1st, while the Ioniq is a better spec'd car than the Kona).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yes but it's at a 55% increase over the Ioniq price. And you lose a lot of features (adaptive cruise for instance), combined with the kona being so teeny it's a 2 seater effectively.

If it's only for 6 days a year, I'd keep the 10k and budget for some fast charging.

No ACC on a car that cost nearly €40k :eek:

What is this, 2011?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What is this, 2011?

It's paddy spec. We only got one spec.

In the UK the premium and premium SE got ACC as standard.
    We got a lot of the premium level trim and some of the premium SE (eg heated seats etc) but lost the ACC.
    Completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What is this, 2011?

Is active cruise control, autonomous emergency braking and auto steer standard on all VW ID.3 and ID.4 in 2021, like it was on the 2016 €25k Hyundai Ioniq?

I only sold my ioniq because it couldn't carry everything we needed (growing family).

I only sold my Ioniq because I could buy a Tesla at a crazy cheap price.

I've had many a nice family car before Ioniq: BMWs, Mercedes, Rover, Saab, Jaguar. All petrol, most of them 6 cylinder and V8 automatics, so plenty of luxury, power and refinement there

Yet it was only when I sold Ioniq that my wife was sad to see it go, the only car she ever said she really loved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is active cruise control, autonomous emergency braking and auto steer standard on all VW ID.3 and ID.4 in 2021, like it was on the 2016 €25k Hyundai Ioniq?

AFAIK yes, except Basic models only include Lane Keep, not full lane follow.

eagerv wrote: »
    AFAIK yes, except Basic models only include Lane Keep, not full lane follow.

I think the full lane follow is only standard on the top models? I guess this is 2021 and things are moving on a bit. Kona Irish spec in 2019 was a disgrace. And in 2022 all new EU cars must have all of the above as standard.

I think the full lane follow is only standard on the top models? I guess this is 2021 and things are moving on a bit. Kona Irish spec in 2019 was a disgrace. And in 2022 all new EU cars must have all of the above as standard.

Agree, actually the price was nearer €42 when I checked and there was little movement at the time from the dealer. The usual crap such as impossible to get etc..:).
    Apart from no ACC what really annoyed me re the spec here was the non LED lights and the tiny info screen (Smaller than Ioniq).

eagerv wrote: »
    Agree, actually the price was nearer €42 when I checked and there was little movement at the time from the dealer. The usual crap such as impossible to get etc..:).

Well, they did sell by the sh1tloads here in Ireland. I guess companies are not charities and should maximise profit. Looks like Hyundai Ireland did just that. Can't blame them, there was literally zero competition for the long range Kona back in 2019, apart from Teslas costing twice as much...

Well, they did sell by the sh1tloads here in Ireland. I guess companies are not charities and should maximise profit. Looks like Hyundai Ireland did just that. Can't blame them, there was literally zero competition for the long range Kona back in 2019, apart from Teslas costing twice as much...

It is a car I always liked and seriously considered one. But I think Hyundai Ireland were too greedy and specced the model incorrectly here. They got the Irish spec Ionic a lot better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Many thanks to the posters for their opinions on the Kona and Ioniq. Plenty to consider now before a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Many thanks to the posters for their opinions on the Kona and Ioniq. Plenty to consider now before a purchase.

I would agree with the general consensus. Ioniq is a better and bigger car, and having to charge a few times a year is really not that much of an issue.
    I drove a premium SE for 3 years and loved it. (I did a lot of fast charging)

I had to dig this thread up from deeper than it had ever sunk down the pages. Not many EV bargains around any more :(

Here's a decent value EV: 152 Tesla Model S P85D, 7 seater, NCT until late 2023, well over 2 years Tesla warranty left on battery and drivetrain and it's a garage sale so the car comes with 12 month garage warranty. Asking €37k, but are they really going to refuse a firm €35k offer?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODI1MTAxNDgiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDAsImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSJ9fX0=?signature=515df0ad67b68e12aaa7d17f19387b55be8638f9a82290a00ea37c5bdee8a161

Linky

Has the AutoPilot 1 hardware, but the ad doesn't mention if it is activated (otherwise it would cost €2k from Tesla). You need to check for yourself, but it is likely a high spec with free supercharging, dual chargers (for 23kW AC charging) and free premium connectivity

With demand vastly outstripping supply then bargains are going to be a rarity, certainly for vehicles with good range

I would have thought there'd be a rake of Leaf's and Ioniqs about from people trading up to ID.3s and E-Niros, but there doesn't seem to be as many as expected

I wonder are people trading their partners' ICE cars and going full electric (that's what we did :))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had to dig this thread up from deeper than it had ever sunk down the pages. Not many EV bargains around any more :(

Here's a decent value EV: 152 Tesla Model S P85D, 7 seater, NCT until late 2023, well over 2 years Tesla warranty left on battery and drivetrain and it's a garage sale so the car comes with 12 month garage warranty. Asking €37k, but are they really going to refuse a firm €35k offer?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODI1MTAxNDgiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDAsImZpdCI6Imluc2lkZSJ9fX0=?signature=515df0ad67b68e12aaa7d17f19387b55be8638f9a82290a00ea37c5bdee8a161

Linky

Has the AutoPilot 1 hardware, but the ad doesn't mention if it is activated (otherwise it would cost €2k from Tesla). You need to check for yourself, but it is likely a high spec with free supercharging, dual chargers (for 23kW AC charging) and free premium connectivity

That’s a good car for a good price.
    Dealer would be well enough known too so some form of genuine warranty would be present.
    For comparison, a large south Dublin dealer offered me €35k trade in for my 142 P85+ towards a 201 M3P recently.

And even more recent, another garage offered €35,500 to take my car towards a P90DL.

That P85D is very tempting.

With demand vastly outstripping supply then bargains are going to be a rarity, certainly for vehicles with good range

I would have thought there'd be a rake of Leaf's and Ioniqs about from people trading up to ID.3s and E-Niros, but there doesn't seem to be as many as expected

I wonder are people trading their partners' ICE cars and going full electric (that's what we did :))

Very possible.
    But, it’s also proof that the “limited range” on the early Leaf and ioniq is more than suitable for the vast majority of owners despite public opinion that we need 1000km range EV’s that charge in 38 seconds!

I'd say for the overwhelming majority of buyers, the ID.3 and ID.4 are their first EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gumbo wrote: »
    Very possible.
    But, it’s also proof that the “limited range” on the early Leaf and ioniq is more than suitable for the vast majority of owners despite public opinion that we need 1000km range EV’s that charge in 38 seconds!

This is situation I am in.

I thought of changing my 2014 Leaf, but the prices of EVs to change to was simply too high to justify it. My current Leaf, despite losing its first bar, is still more than capable of satisfying our daily needs.

In fact, the lowest it has been in the last 18 months before recharging at night would be in the 30s%.
    By the end of most days it could be sitting at 50-60%.

Old Leaf's could still play a bit role for many drivers, but as mentioned, they want an EV to do 500km before they'll even consider it.

I'd say for the overwhelming majority of buyers, the ID.3 and ID.4 are their first EV.

Yeah, just a spot check from where I live it's about 75% are replacing an ICE car

I remember when I was looking at trading the Leaf the salesman mentioned they were getting a lot of Leaf's traded in which was pushing the value down

I guess it goes back to demand, there's huge demand out for long range EVs so bargains are going to be few and far between :(

Gumbo wrote: »
    Very possible.

Absolutely, so far we've only done 3 trips with the ID.4 which would have required a fast charge with the Leaf. We got away with using Leaf as the main car for years

• Advertisement

Linky

Saw that one. Great bargain.
    The early cars 2014-15 seem to be going for mid 30's here now, and that includes Performance spec and also AP1.

If you don't mind being limited to AP1 and having the nosecone (and getting free SuC) then there are deals to be had here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you don't mind being limited to AP1 and having the nosecone (and getting free SuC) then there are deals to be had here.

I've had AP 2.0 and 2.5 on loaners and being honest prefer 1.0.
    1.0 is way smoother in keeping between the lines, above that and it's jerky.
    Also I've never had phantom breaking with 1.0 and had a few examples in both 2.0/2.5 and it's not pretty.
    Navigate on Autopilot not that great when you've lots of junctions or any roundabouts/lights en route.
    I know 1.0 is different company and now dead in terms of upkeep but I'd prefer it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I had 1.0 on my car too, and like you AP2,2.5,3 on loaners from S and 3. I think the AP2 onwards is much better but there are things that 1.0 does as good or better still, years afterwards. It's just the lack of futureproofing that would make me want an AP2 car - but sure it can't even do speed sign recognition well yet and the phantom braking is worse!

Linky

Deposit taken on the P85D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

zg3409 wrote: »

The seller certainly has a sense of humour :D
    Also ideal for advertising vehicle
    Real head Turner

Something like that would actually make a pretty good coffee van

It's been for sale for a while, price has been dropping. If I didn't have 2 EVs already, I'd be tempted :D

Anyone know the specs of these? 96V would suggest a 32S LiFePo4 pack? Or am I being optimistic and this is a good ole lead acid?

It's been for sale for a while, price has been dropping. If I didn't have 2 EVs already, I'd be tempted :D

Anyone know the specs of these? 96V would suggest a 32S LiFePo4 pack? Or am I being optimistic and this is a good ole lead acid?

That price and voltage suggests it's something like a forklift or golf car battery, so could very well be lead acid. If that's the case I think there are off the shelf conversions to LFP or other chemistries

Go on unkel, you know you want the hat trick of EVs in your life ;)

I've been watching that one as well. I'd love it if we had moved already. Moving house takes so long, even moreso these days.

Both EVs on this page (the cheap p85d and ridiculous speed limited lead acid van) are right up my street

• Advertisement

Details are in the link that zg3409 provided. 17kWh lead acid, so just 8.5kWh usable, top speed 55km/h and charges at 2kW

The seller probably went through great expense replacing the batteries, he shouldn't have done that as he will lose money on it. I'd say the van would be a decent buy at €2k with older but usable batteries and perhaps €300-400 more as is

Advertisement