Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    Even on the coldest day he will have no problem doing his 20 odd km reurn trip into Galway with the heat blasting on full. Good cheap tool for the job.

True, I think people get caught with the Leaf's non-linear battery degredation.

8/12 bars should logically correspond to 66% battery health, but because the top bar is worth double it has more of an effect

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Gumbo wrote: »
    Deposit taken on the P85D.
    This was me. I put a deposit down Friday week and picked up the car today. I've been keeping an eye out for years now and thanks to this thread I finally found one that was in my price range and the model I wanted. I can't wait to start driving it in earnest. Cheers to the poster that linked to the ad.

Deposit taken on the P85D.
    This was me. I put a deposit down Friday week and picked up the car today. I've been keeping an eye out for years now and thanks to this thread I finally found one that was in my price range and the model I wanted. I can't wait to start driving it in earnest. Cheers to the poster that linked to the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mickotoole wrote: »

That was me, you're welcome! Well wear & enjoy :cool:

Most of us owners were looking for a Model S for a very long time too, before we bought one. We know the feeling!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Absolute fantastic. And what a version to jump straight into!

There’s a few little tweaks and add ins that I’d recommend.
    Maybe start a thread with a few photos an dill throw the list in there and see if anything tickles your fancy.

• Advertisement

That was me, you're welcome! Well wear & enjoy :cool:

Most of us owners were looking for a Model S for a very long time too, before we bought one. We know the feeling!
    Thanks a million. I've been slowly wearing the wife down and the fact it was a 7 seater clinched it. Thanks again for posting that ad. I'm delighted with myself!

Absolute fantastic. And what a version to jump straight into!

There’s a few little tweaks and add ins that I’d recommend.
    Maybe start a thread with a few photos an dill throw the list in there and see if anything tickles your fancy.
    I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow and get cracking. Any resources that you would recommend for a newcomer?

I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow and get cracking. Any resources that you would recommend for a newcomer?

I’ll put a few things together with links later when on the pc.

I’ll put a few things together with links later when on the pc.
    That would be great. Thanks a million Gumbo.

That would be great. Thanks a million Gumbo.

Screen protector for the main screen. Helps with glare and finger prints.
    J&D Compatible for Tesla Model X/Tesla Model S 17 inch Car Navigation Screen Protector (1-Pack), Anti-Glare Matte Film Shield Screen Protector for 60 60D 70 70D P85D 90D 100 P100D 75D P90D P100D https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WC16JFZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HTE07GJXX0X5E16PHP20?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rear boot parcel shelf. Such a simple thing that should be factory fit. You could probably make one yourself or buy from here
    https://abstractocean.com/products/auto-lift

Rear licence plate LED bulbs. The halogen look a bit cheap.
    https://abstractocean.com/collections/model-s/products/ms-led-license-plate-bulb-kit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rear boot parcel shelf. Such a simple thing that should be factory fit. You could probably make one yourself or buy from here
    https://abstractocean.com/products/auto-lift

That's 100% a requirement, can't understand it being missing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    That's 100% a requirement, can't understand it being missing
    I spotted a 3d print for this exact thing. I might fire up the 3d printer and see if I can make something myself. Kids have been using the jump seat exclusively since I got the car so the parcel shelf is under the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I hope it's ok to post this here, as it's not really a bargain alert (although it may become one!). I'm expecting to receive my Ioniq early next week (thanks again to the posters on here for alerting me to it), so I'm going to be selling my 142 Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna. I'll attach a couple of pictures. It's got 115000kms on the clock, and 11 out of the 12 bars left. It's in good condition, with a few cosmetic scrapes on the paintwork and alloys. I've had a look on done deal, and there seems to be a massive variance in prices for second hand leafs. A friend is potentially interested in buying it, so I'd like to come up with a price that's fair, without doing myself out of too much (I'd be happy enough having to not deal with tyre kickers from done deal if I can avoid it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

RonnieL wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to post this here, as it's not really a bargain alert (although it may become one!). I'm expecting to receive my Ioniq early next week (thanks again to the posters on here for alerting me to it), so I'm going to be selling my 142 Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna. I'll attach a couple of pictures. It's got 115000kms on the clock, and 11 out of the 12 bars left. It's in good condition, with a few cosmetic scrapes on the paintwork and alloys. I've had a look on done deal, and there seems to be a massive variance in prices for second hand leafs. A friend is potentially interested in buying it, so I'd like to come up with a price that's fair, without doing myself out of too much (I'd be happy enough having to not deal with tyre kickers from done deal if I can avoid it).

Selling a car to a friend is a great way to end any friendship :pac:

I guess one thing you can do is filter out the dealership sales from done deal, they tend to charge a premium anyway

I guess to give you some context, last January I was going to trade in my 2016 Leaf24 Acenta with 12/12 bars and 60,000km. I was offered €7k from the dealership and I reckon I could have gotten €9k if I sold privately

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The Limerick Leaf that has been for sale for a while just dropped to €3495 asking price. NCTd, both cables (you could sell the granny cable for the guts of €200 if money is real tight), get a free home charge point installed. He's not going to refuse €3k cash, is he?

If I had not just bought an even cheaper EV, I'd be all over this. Someone in here go get yourself a real bargain quickly before it's gone!

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODMwNDU5MjkifQ==?signature=abd6c83033d86d95398feba9173ffd591bb2a0599d2fc69356e9559610a7b5e9

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Limerick Leaf that has been for sale for a while just dropped to €3495 asking price. NCTd, both cables (you could sell the granny cable for the guts of €200 if money is real tight), get a free home charge point installed. He's not going to refuse €3k cash, is he?

If I had not just bought an even cheaper EV, I'd be all over this. Someone in here go get yourself a real bargain quickly before it's gone!

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xODMwNDU5MjkifQ==?signature=abd6c83033d86d95398feba9173ffd591bb2a0599d2fc69356e9559610a7b5e9

Linky

What range would you expect from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Assuming it's down ~4 bars (guess) I would expect 55-65km as a real world range. A perfect second car.

Yep same as my Fluence. About 60km range (not motorway speeds). As ELM says, a perfect second car. And for the kids to learn to drive in. Buy it cheap enough and your total cost of ownership will be cheaper than any other car you could buy, even cheaper than a car that someone gives you for free.

Yep same as my Fluence. About 60km range (not motorway speeds). As ELM says, a perfect second car. And for the kids to learn to drive in. Buy it cheap enough and your total cost of ownership will be cheaper than any other car you could buy, even cheaper than a car that someone gives you for free.

Would you not want the kids to learn to drive on a manual?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MAXFANTANA wrote: »

Slim chance they'll need to know how to drive a manual the way things are going.
    You get a leaf, and you get a leaf, and you get a leaf!

• Advertisement

Slim chance they'll need to know how to drive a manual the way things are going.
    You get a leaf, and you get a leaf, and you get a leaf!

Yeah I agree, I just think if I was learning within the next 5 years I’d like to have a manual license. I actually think if I was turning 18 again with rental accommodation and going on weekends away I’d stick with a small 1 litre petrol. Not sure EVs are that suitable for students currently.

MAXFANTANA wrote: »

We've given that a lot of thought and decided not to.

The main drawback of course is that they will only ever be able to drive automatics. But all cars will be automatic in the next few years anyway and you can already buy cheap electric (=automatic) second hand cars, so it won't be an issue for the kids buying their first cars

The big benefit of course is that it is much easier, quicker (and cheaper) to learn to drive in an automatic and also low end electric cars are generally about the cheapest possible cars to insure

Top that up with the fact that my children have no particular interest in (classic) cars. They have no desire to master driving a traditional car with a traditional clutch and manual gears, and the decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

We've given that a lot of thought and decided not to.

The main drawback of course is that they will only ever be able to drive automatics. But all cars will be automatic in the next few years anyway and you can already buy cheap electric (=automatic) second hand cars, so it won't be an issue for the kids buying their first cars

Not all countries continue to make a difference between a manual and automatic. Switzerland has been allowing people with an automatic limited license to drive manual cars since 2019. There was talk of Germany doing the same last year but I am not sure it was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

https://www.kehoekars.com/kehoe-kars-used-cars.html?car=281116798

About 21k in Euro but I'd say knock 10% off without a trade in... Not bad for a 3 year old 40kWh leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

https://www.kehoekars.com/kehoe-kars-used-cars.html?car=281116798

About 21k in Euro but I'd say knock 10% off without a trade in... Not bad for a 3 year old 40kWh leaf

VAT status of it ?

and good luck getting 10% off.....even Free Staters are reluctant to give that these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

The only reason I can think of to learn and do test on manual is for hiring cars abroad or longer stints in other countries with mostly manual cars.

But we haven’t had a manual in our household for ten years now. And I don’t think we will again.

fits wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of to learn and do test on manual is for hiring cars abroad or longer stints in other countries with mostly manual cars.

Yes that's another consideration we had. In most countries now you need to be at least 21 to hire a car (often 25). My eldest has just gone 17, so by the time she is 21 (or 25!) there are likely plenty of rental EVs out there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes that's another consideration we had. In most countries now you need to be at least 21 to hire a car (often 25). My eldest has just gone 17, so by the time she is 21 (or 25!) there are likely plenty of rental EVs out there

Rental EV's would be great, none of this faffing around with either prepaying for fuel or anything.

thats where teslas would really win, if theres a good supercharger network, just plug in and go, and just get that added to the bill at the end.

I think Marcusbil are starting to rent cars out in Norway to non Residents.

graememk wrote: »
    Rental EV's would be great, none of this faffing around with either prepaying for fuel or anything.

thats where teslas would really win, if theres a good supercharger network, just plug in and go, and just get that added to the bill at the end.

I tried to rent a Tesla for a big family holiday (road trip) we had just over 3 years ago in the USA. It proved impossible / hugely expensive. Hopefully things are changing now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I used GoMore to rent a Tesla in Norway a few years back. Nabobil wasn't available to non Scandinavians.

It was double the price of a small petrol, but when you take into account the free fuel and toll benefits etc it was pretty competitive.

Advertisement