Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As I have already suggested numerous times, if this is such a bargain then someone else will post it here.

It is a small market for electric cars so if such a bargain it won't be long before it is posted here
    Saying it numerous times over doesn't make you point any more valid. If it's the cheapest car of that year/spec, etc. etc, how is it not a bargain or offer value.
    Do you understand what begrudgery means?
    What else could it be? "a bedgrudging attitude; envy."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Just because something is currently the lowest price doesn't necessarily infer a bargain. I'd view this thread as something which should only contain really fantastic deals that would be below anticipated market rates.

By all means have a separate classified section like speakEV but not in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Saying it numerous times over doesn't make you point any more valid. If it's the cheapest car of that year/spec, etc. etc, how is it not a bargain or offer value.

You think it is a bargain, tell me one seller who doesn't think there car is a bargain.

As I said, if this is a bargain then someone will post it on this thread....

Bargain is in the eye of the beholder :P

I see you found google

Believe me, I am not at all envious of you.

I am not 100% sure why you would actually think anyone would envy you? Maybe explain what we should be envious of?

This is a forum, I know nothing about you, so why exactly would I envy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Id be in favour of a separate adverts subforum like the cycling one.

We have a dedicated sticky for ads, but nobody uses it!

Linky

Don't think it should be a thread full of posts about people pushing there own cars....

In the spirit of bargain threads on boards in general (and the bangernomics thread in motors is probably the biggest and most estabished one), it is generally allowed to bring up your own car that you have for sale as a bargain. As long as it is perfectly clear that is your own car (and it's probably wise that it's a bargain too, or people will give out hell :p). The bangernomics thread used to be my favourite thread in all of boards for years

Linky

There is of course a fine line in mentioning your car a few times / answering questions from people on the thread on the one hand, and overly promoting / spamming / shilling on the other...

unkel wrote: »
    We have a dedicated sticky for ads, but nobody uses it!

Linky

Thanks for that Unkel. I've posted there. By all means, remove the listing on this bargains thread given it's begrudged by another.

• Advertisement

stesaurus wrote: »
    I'd view this thread as something which should only contain really fantastic deals that would be below anticipated market rates.

Cheapest in the country isn't good enough for you then. Do you want someone to simply give you a car?

Cheapest in the country isn't good enough for you then. Do you want someone to simply give you a car?

Selective quoting me to try make a point? It was pretty clear what I meant if you had of left my full quote.

I've no idea why you seem to be getting so worked up about this? Frankly even if I was interested in your car your attitude to constructive feedback would put me off dealing with you.

Selective quoting me to try make a point? It was pretty clear what I meant if you had of left my full quote.
    Selective quoting? There was one other sentence in your post. The fact remains - you want someone to simply give you a car?
    I've no idea why you seem to be getting so worked up about this?
    Why - because I'm a regular contributor to this section - and I find it disgusting as regards the invective that resulted from simply posting what was and is the cheapest car in the country of that spec./year, etc.
    Frankly even if I was interested in your car your attitude to constructive feedback would put me off dealing with you.
    Constructive opinion is it? To my mind, it's your warped opinion. Let me be clear - if you turned up tomorrow as a buyer and declared yourself to be stesaurus off boards, I'd tell you to take a hike.
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    You think it is a bargain, tell me one seller who doesn't think there car is a bargain.
    It's the cheapest advertised. That's fact and not subjective.
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    Bargain is in the eye of the beholder
    Why then comment? Why not leave it for someone to determine if to their mind it is or it isn't.
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    This is a forum, I know nothing about you, so why exactly would I envy you?
    In the history of internet postings, you think that it's a rarity for some randomer to vent their spleen for no good wholesome reason?

I've no idea why you seem to be getting so worked up about this? Frankly even if I was interested in your car your attitude to constructive feedback would put me off dealing with you.

There is a lot of selective quoting been used
    In the history of internet postings, you think that it's a rarity for some randomer to vent their spleen for no good wholesome reason?

My reason was simple. I don't think the thread should be full of car people are trying to sell themselves. That was my original opinion and hasn't changed.

If you actually think that means I am envious of you then that's your problem. Not mine.

There is a lot of selective quoting been used
    I see - I shouldn't quote you then.....'selectively' . Clearly, I'm twisting your words (by actually quoting them!) :rolleyes:
    My reason was simple. I don't think the thread should be full of car people are trying to sell themselves. That was my original opinion and hasn't changed.
    My reason is also simple. It's the cheapest car of it's class advertised in Ireland. There are only a handful of EV's in Ireland. That's not going to bung up this thread. Secondly, if one is advertised a cent lower (provided the listing is real), then I'd take down the post.
    If you actually think that means I am envious of you then that's your problem. Not mine.
    Mean spirited, begrudging, trolling - I'm not your shrink - but whatever it is, it's not wholesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

The cheapest version of a given product isn't a bargain.

A product at least 10% less than current market price would be considered a bargain imo.

When I bought my car, it was €6k. Next one up was €7k. Next one up was €8k, then €8.5k, and upwards.
    My car was a bargain.
    The €7k car was a bargain.
    The €8k car, even though it was the cheapest available, wasn't a bargain.

The 2014 ex-taxi that was for sale a few back for €7,777 was a bargain.

So using that logic, your car isn't a bargain. It's just the cheapest currently available. Knock €1000 off it, then it's a bargain!

That's only my opinion. Nothing personal.

Mean spirited, begrudging, trolling - I'm not your shrink - but whatever it is, it's not wholesome.

Let get this straight. Your selling a couple of dodgy Leaf's, nobody is envious of you.....I still am not sure why you would think anyone would be????? You have continued to use personal insults and to be honest I am sick of it.

You posted your car originally and people here where helpful and gave you tips. I don't sell car so no point me offering to help...

You then posted the below
    I've had to relist my ad due to the first guy to view it having committed to buying it on a handshake but then flaked (I'm guessing he couldn't move on his existing car).

First to view will definitely buy this time (provided they either give me a deposit or pay in full on the day!

Which was bullsh*t as it was a completely different car. When this was pointed out you made up some other bullsh*t.

Then kept posting about it been a bargain. It was not just me who pointed it out and both times you come up with crap about "begrudgery".

Personal insults seems to be your best defense. Continue on as it is water off a ducks back

Anyway I will leave it to the mods....

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

So if I have this right then isnottheword sees "EV bargains" but instead of posting them here to let others know about them he is going ahead and purchasing them himself and then subsequently reselling them at a profit and advertising them on this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Good business and fair play having the initiative to do it but I don't believe that's what this thread was originally intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is a newer (152) SV for 11900 so I don't think it's a bargain or cheapest
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf/16212897

The main difference is the 6.6kW charger and that's €900 extra when new so definitely not a bargain or cheapest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

You have a link?

No link unfortunately as I sold the car this morning.

Autochange wrote: »

Must have been a bargain!

Your selling a couple of dodgy Leaf's
    A bit of a credibility buster.....and proof of the invective that underpins the statement. The car is spotless. You have absolutely no evidence to declare otherwise.
    You posted your car originally and people here where helpful and gave you tips. I don't sell car so no point me offering to help...
    There's a point in this is there...relevant to this discussion...??
    You then posted the below.....Which was bullsh*t as it was a completely different car. When this was pointed out you made up some other bullsh*t.
    What ARE you talking about? I don't have to prove jack to you? What motive would I have to say that the car was sold on a handshake but buyer didn't follow through?
    Then kept posting about it been a bargain.
    I didn't 'keep posting' about it. I posted once. Then the likes of you got on your high horse and rolled in.
    Then kept posting about it been a bargain. It was not just me who pointed it out and both times you come up with crap about "begrudgery".
    Yes, the manner in which you've gone about your musings here is certainly not wholesome. That is my belief - you can protest as you wish.
    Shefwedfan wrote:
    Personal insults seems to be your best defense
    Personal insults may be your domain but I have not insulted you or anyone else here.
    So if I have this right then isnottheword sees "EV bargains" but instead of posting them here to let others know about them he is going ahead and purchasing them himself and then subsequently reselling them at a profit and advertising them on this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong?
    Good business and fair play having the initiative to do it but I don't believe that's what this thread was originally intended for.
    Yes, I will correct you if that's ok. You don't know the first thing about where I sourced this or any other car nor is it any of your business. Secondly, I am not a communist. Are you? You may not think I add value to this sales proposition but I certainly do. Not everyone can source cars at trade rates, import them and make them available locally to the Irish buying public. Notwithstanding that, it's been the business of many down through the years. This is where the begrudgery kicks in.
    Autochange wrote:
    Yeah, good one. :D
    stesaurus wrote:
    Must have been a bargain!
    Yeah, it would have been if it ever existed.

@KCross : A good find - no doubt. I had not seen it. However, I would suggest for some 6.6kw is a preference and for others it's a must. If we are running with the latter, then the car I posted still stands (although I accept completely on a purely financial rather than specification comparison, the 152 offers more for your euro).
    @soarer: I respect your opinion and the manner in which you put it across (unlike a couple of notable others here). Not every listing on this thread has been a 5 star bargain. What I seem to be getting nailed to the cross for is the fact that I own the vehicle in question and posted having done a search of 2014's on donedeal, etc. That's where the begrudgery comes into play as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lads, time to move back to just listing decent EV deals?

I always enjoyed opening up this thread to see if there was something I could potentially buy, now it's turning into something akin to Celebrity Big Brother with all the bickering.

Can we all not just get along! It's a good forum is the EV one, let's keep it that way.

Lads, time to move back to just listing decent EV deals?

I always enjoyed opening up this thread to see if there was something I could potentially buy, now it's turning into something akin to Celebrity Big Brother with all the bickering.

Can we all not just get along! It's a good forum is the EV one, let's keep it that way.

Couldn't agree more. Can a mod step in and put some clear ground rules down for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or could we all not just hug?

Personally I have no problem with any member posting up their own car, it allows me to decide if I want to go have a look at it or not.

• Advertisement

Personally I have no problem with any member posting up their own car, it allows me to decide if I want to go have a look at it or not.
    Sounds pretty pragmatic and rational to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I don't think anybody would have problem if other member mentioned his car here.

However The car in question is not isnottheword's. Technically he's the owner, but it was bought only to sell on, not to use. AFAIR he commutes Galway-Mayo and 24 kWh Leaf was pushing it, buying exactly same one does not make sense.

That's why I believe it's not a place to advertise that way. The car is probably spotless and worth the cash, but bluntly putting it here crosses some line for me. It is exploiting the great vibe of this forum... Honestly I feel I was lied to.

grogi wrote: »
    I don't think anybody would have problem if other member mentioned his car here.
    Well there's some progress in that at least.
    However The car in question is not isnottheword's. Technically he's the owner, but it was bought only to sell on, not to use. AFAIR he commutes Galway-Mayo and 24 kWh Leaf was pushing it, buying exactly same one does not make sense.
    I said I bought a 30kW and I did. I also bought a 24kW - the one that is listed here. The 30kW sold (should I have checked with you here before I sold it?). It's currently in use but won't be pretty soon because I don't expect it to stay on the market for very long.
    That's why I believe it's not a place to advertise that way.
    I've given as much as I've taken away here. I've been an active participant in this forum. I listed a car that (to my knowledge at the time) was the cheapest in it's class. It still is (albeit I take on board KCross' point - I had not seen that car albeit it doesn't have 6.6kW charging - which is a deal breaker for some buyers).
    but bluntly putting it here crosses some line for me.
    It does? :confused:
    It is exploiting the great vibe of this forum...
    I certainly didn't set out to 'exploit' anything. I'm an active contributor to this forum. I've pm'ed some of you who were in the process of going the EV route with help/tips/etc. That's not exactly got the hallmark of 'exploitation'. If the mods instruct me not to post here (regardless of whether car in question is cheapest of it's kind advertised in Ireland or not), I will respectfully oblige.
    Honestly I feel I was lied to.
    Except that you were not lied to.

Just to sum this up (and hopefully this thread can go back on track), along my EV journey I've learnt a lot of things - here and elsewhere. I've experienced EV ownership and have fully bought into it - I'll never go back to ICE.
    Is it so wrong that as part of that journey, I may have made some trade contacts - which may facilitate selling on imported EV's in Ireland? God forbid that I may make a profit on same.
    If anything, is it not a benefit to the group if there's someone prepared to source cars amongst us? Not everybody is willing to go to the UK and bring back a car. For some, it's out of the question. For others, they don't have the time or their time is too valuable.

I'd never have bothered posting here if it was to cause such a ruckus. Can we please park this up and let this thread go back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My 2c is that in this thread, by its very title, it is expected that the poster doesn't own or have a vested interest in the "bargain" they are posting because everyone is going to say their own car for sale is a bargain.

Posting your own car as a bargain, when it isn't a bargain, dilutes the appeal of the thread.

The For Sale/Wanted thread should be used if you want to flog your own car.

@KCross : Anything for a quiet life. On yer 2 cents ......SOLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Yes, I will correct you if that's ok. You don't know the first thing about where I sourced this or any other car nor is it any of your business. Secondly, I am not a communist. Are you? You may not think I add value to this sales proposition but I certainly do. Not everyone can source cars at trade rates, import them and make them available locally to the Irish buying public. Notwithstanding that, it's been the business of many down through the years. This is where the begrudgery kicks in.

What exactly have you corrected me on here? Seems to me that I was spot on in saying you are purchasing EVs and advertising them on this thread for resale. Now to clarify I have absolute no issue with anyone doing what you are doing, I actually admire someone who is getting off their arse and using their initiative to make a few quid. I think it's a good thing that a knowledgeable EV enthusiast is offering this kind of service and I'd rather deal with someone like yourself when buying an EV than a dealer who's clueless about EVs.

The only issue I have is advertising in this thread. If you start advertising your cars in this thread others will follow and soon it will just become a classified ad thread which I don't believe is what it was intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As I have already suggested numerous times, if this is such a bargain then someone else will post it here.

It is a small market for electric cars so if such a bargain it won't be long before it is posted here
    Do you understand what begrudgery means?
    Are you selling the cars as a revenue stream or is this a personal car, if it's the first are you registered with SIMI and what kind of warranty do you offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

, I may have made some trade contacts - which may facilitate selling on imported EV's in Ireland? God forbid that I may make a profit on same.

I'd never have bothered posting here if it was to cause such a ruckus. Can we please park this up and let this thread go back on topic.
    I persume that your paying tax on the profit and aware that as you are in fact a car dealer then the people who buy them off you are protected by consumer laws

What exactly have you corrected me on here?The only issue I have is advertising in this thread. If you start advertising your cars in this thread others will follow and soon it will just become a classified ad thread which I don't believe is what it was intended for.
    We are on the same lines - absolutely. The only distinction is with regard to advertising. I only posted here having checked done deal (and other sites) to determine if I had priced cheapest. Only having determined it to be so did I post here. Others point out cheapest in it's class doesn't make it a bargain - that's fine. I'll not bother posting here again (never thought it would cause so much grief...wtf).
    Now to clarify I have absolute no issue with anyone doing what you are doing, I actually admire someone who is getting off their arse and using their initiative to make a few quid. I think it's a good thing that a knowledgeable EV enthusiast is offering this kind of service and I'd rather deal with someone like yourself when buying an EV than a dealer who's clueless about EVs.
    And it's on that basis that I may have taken a tiny (and it is tiny!) step in this direction. You'll all have been faced with the questions ref. EV's. Someone took it a stage further and asked me to source them a car. As an aside, I may have your 'admiration' in that respect but there is no doubt there's a couple who posted here that are of the opposite viewpoint and that was their motivation in posting (not that I'll take a blind bit of notice).
    ted1 wrote: »
    I presume that you're paying tax on the profit and aware that as you are in fact a car dealer then the people who buy them off you are protected by consumer laws
    I am NOT a car dealer. The cars I buy - I drive myself. With regard to taxes, you can rest assured any surplus (should there be one) will be declared to revenue.

Thank you for your concern. If you wish to continue on with this line of discussion, it would be better to open up a new thread. Lets leave this thread go back to it's normal purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I afraid I agree that this thread is not for advertising, just for pointing out any vehicles sold by third parties on Carzone, Adverts, Autotrader or Donedeal that may suit others on the forum.
    If you are posting a listing here, you should have no commercial interest in the sale.

The For Sale/Wanted thread is for your own personal vehicles and equipment. That means non-commercial sellers only, and preferably regulars on the forum.

Commercial selling - Adverts.ie

Advertisement