Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MCU1 is fine, the issue was the eMMC card that got written to, too many times causing problems. Tesla stopped writing to it as much now and replaced the memory chip for free. Problem should never come back. The Model S weren't fitted with MCU2 until some time in 2018. You can upgrade for €1500 (used to be double that) and it will give you a much faster computer that will get more updates. Also with some new features like NetFlix. I'm still considering that on my 2017 facelift car. Not really for any of the above but because my car has FSD, my self driving hardware was upgraded to the latest version 3 (for free) and the visualisations are far better if you get the MCU2

There are now independent garages that can and will fix Tesla issues outside of warranty. Even if your main battery fails, they should be able to diagnose and fix that for a fraction of what Tesla would charge (they don't fix batteries, just replace the whole pack)

And worst of the worst case scenario, you crash it and write it off and you only have 3rd party insurance (all very unlikely LOL), then the 17 or so packs in that Tesla can be taken out and sold for around a grand each on eBay. That's right, no typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

Not a "bargain" - but wondering what views are on this car ... seems very pricey to me and they've had it for a few months now ... but I wonder what a new one will cost, there's no new pricing available for Ireland or the UK!

Is the Raven package a big step up? Is there any way to confirm it is ludicrous - or do all of this type of Model X have Ludicrous?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-x/fpa/202205306302261

They're trying to sell a €115k car and they can't even spell the name right. And I feel the price is more ludicrous than the performance 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just to mention after seeing the doors on that above Model X ad. I seen a video online most likely England due to double decker bus the guy drove off with the rear door open and crashed the door into a bus.

• Advertisement

What do you think a new one will cost though, north of 150k?

seems bizarre that Tesla won’t give a price on a new one 🤷

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had both pre face lift with the gen 1 seats and Gen 2 seats (next Gen seats). The next Gen is slightly better, ether lumbar and more of a bucket seat as such.

The facelift car is 162 so price difference will be significantly more than this one. I had the next Gen seats in my 161 so possible to have them a little earlier than the external refresh car.

Both of mine had sunroofs and none of them had any water ingress issues. The water ingress issue is a common complaint on any car (ice or EV) that has a sun roof. You just have to make sure the drainage channels are free and clear. You can test it by opening the sun roof on any car, pour water in and around the frames and you should see it pour out the front of the car, in and around the wheel arches.

MCU2 makes the screen faster, more apps and it really transforms the car bit the thing is, if your coming from another car, say basic bmw iDrive, then MCU1 is gona feel light years ahead already!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I viewed that car before buying our X. It is definitely a performance model. All raven performance X come with ludicrous mode as standard.

Yes agreed with all that @Gumbo posted and for clarity I have the facelift model (a 2017) with I think the 3rd or 4th gen seats, which are considerably better and look far more modern too, the interior has been modernised quite a bit. But the facelift model starts at about €50k, that's a big step up in money

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

Thanks for the great input @Gumbo & @unkel

Sounds like the interior is not great but not a disaster and likewise the MCU1 capability ?

Any views on the robustness of the suspension, steering & bushings ? ( guess S85 comes in over 2500 kg - cant be easy on this gear )

Was interior heating back then by PTC or heat pump ?

• Advertisement

Yup, there is an '18 S75 that looks like its come off lease with an asking of just under 60. Nice and all as it might be I no longer do the level of travel that would justify that :(

No heatpump (only on the very latest model that you can't even get yet in Ireland), but that's not really all that important. Yes interior is bland but ok, it doesn't fall apart by any means. MCU1 is fine, still miles ahead of most 2023 model EVs (that on its own is astonishing for a 10 year old car). From memory the car is about 2.2 tonnes. It's big but not all that heavy as the entire body is made from aluminium (doesn't rust either)

It also bears up well to huge mileages, there are ones in the US with about a million km and there is one in Germany approaching 1.7m km on it (has gone through several motors and battery packs over that period)

If you are unfamiliar, have a look at Bjørn Nyland's YouTube channel. He bought a Tesla Model S 85 Performance brand new back in 2013 and he recently bought it back, all the servicing is now done by his local Bosch centre (car will never ever go back to Tesla again) and I think he has more than 400k km on it now, it's holding up really well but did need some suspension and other work.

Also have a look in the Model S thread on this forum, pretty much any question you might have has been covered in there

Thanks again @unkel

WRT no heat pump I actually see this as good as its one less thing to go wrong lol!

They don't seem to go wrong on most EVs afaik, but you don't really need one in Ireland all that much, particularly as most EVs can precondition before you leave and most have more than sufficient range anyway, even to use inefficient (non-heatpump) heating / cooling

I saw the above car advertised on the Tesla owners Ireland facebook page last night (after I posted here) and the seller seems to be genuine, the concensus over there from the comments is that it is indeed good value for money, but the seller looks like he will do a deal for a quick and easy sale. Could very well be a very decent bargain this car.

This is a real bargain. If I had the readies I'd buy it to flip and I hate dealing with donedeal at the best of times. That car is at least 5k underpriced. I presume it's the miles and the will of the owner to sell it quickly (which I empathise with!)

Implications are no netflix or real updates etc. It has AP1 so you won't be getting FSD anyway so nothing really beyond that. It's about 1500 to change to MCU2. I did that in my 2016 S90D. The difference is night and day in terms of responsiveness but not really "needed" as it was then, given the emmc issue is fixed by recall.

Mega catastrophe is rare, if it's on the road this long the car is probably on all new battery/drivetrain. The battery alone is very valuable. Then theres the rest of the parts. I'd say 18-20k scrap value (minus whatever broke of course). Even the alloys are expensive!

Any reason why you skipped it?

Over priced?

Thanks!

Over budget for a used car and I heard ripples from Tesla insiders that the new models were coming to europe soon. (meaning if I bought this i'd have to cancel my plaid X preorder)

Nothing wrong with it at all, it's a great car, and you'll have a smile on your face every time you drive an X.

ok - thanks again - and what are you expecting a plaid X to cost?

I can't find new pricing in either Ireland or the UK?!

I wouldn't say it's €5k underpriced, but it's decent value at the asking price and your man is listening to offers, so anything below that would make it a bit of a bargain.

• Advertisement

to answer my own question - I've found pricing in Germany - it's €155k for top spec X Plaid.

looking at 3s and Ys that will translate to €165k here... which does make a 3 year old non plaid at €115k look over priced, probably worth closer to 95k to 100k

Plaid is far, far superior to the Raven with hugely improved performance. Also a completely refreshed car, with far more modern looks, improved efficiency and aerodynamics. Good luck selling the above even for €95k

Yes the gulf between plaid and "model x performance" (ie the ludicrous raven) is huge. An extra motor, refreshed interior with better specced everything, better acceleration especially at the higher end, better charging speed (200+kW vs 143kW for the raven) and so on.

If I'm gone beyond man math and spending silly money on a car, it has to be the best one available. In that instance its a new #teamMSM model X plaid!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be aware there are 4 drainage channels, 2 either side and whilst the front 2 are user visible the rear ones are under the sun roof assembly and cannot be inspected/cleaned. Also the front 2 drain into an immediate u bend so cannot be cleared easily, you'd need a good quality blower. The drainage channels and actually tubes in the A pillar, if blocked Tesla will actually just replace them as they are a b1tch to clear out fully.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This era S has had it's motor replaced, I think the Ad stated so, when replaced they were were replaced with a large induction motor at the rear and the Tesla screen info will show this, "Induction Rear Large" from memory

Re seats, the greatest advantages of Gen 1 seats are two fold, real leather and less bolster curving so much more suitable for the larger person

Carpet cannot reveal if there is a sunroof leak, my S had no whoosing sound or any other evidence of water build, I had both front drains cleared and then the two rear ones and still had issues.

Turns out there was 5l of water at front passenger footwell and it took over a week for Tesla SC to seep drain

Can confirm. I had gen 1.5 seats (ie not the ones from 2014 S but not Nextgen) in Severus (S90D facelift) and nextgen/gen2 in Slughorn (X75D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Can't remember if this was posted already. Go on, snap a bargain before it's gone:

PS. See the posts below to see why it's not a bargain. I posted it as an inside joke.

Post edited by sh81722 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's been up for 40 days, don't think there's much rush!

What are they like reliability-wise? I assume they're typically French ie. comfortable.

Advertisement