Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's very cheap for what it is. And as usual you need to see this as a private buy with zero comeback. The car still has battery / drivetrain warranty, which is the main thing. Also has valid NCT. Thoroughly check it out and it could be a bargain.

I do agree the ad is terrible. He'd have loads of callers with a good ad (for what, about a tenner plus a couple of hours work to get the car washed and take pics) and advertise it at €15,999

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

chancer, walk

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Or get a cheap car that could be a bargain. Very little to go wrong on these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can’t access DoneDeal when outside Ireland. Especially on phone.

• Advertisement

It's more to do with the car's background and having to deal with that dealer should things go wrong, if it was priced at €18k probably less "suspicious"

Yes, but youre paying 13k. Treat it as a private sale caveat emptor.

If I was currently looking for a second EV (I was, but decided to wait to new year) I'd be all over this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I spoke to seller today. He will be out the country from tonight until Tuesday.

I would be very very cautious, ioniq was stolen in the past, one was flooded in Galway, nearly out of battery warranty, probably already out of 5 year everything warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Performance for less than a price of new RWD with white interior at 56k:

It's advertised as SR+ though. It's only a bargain if it is what is seems i.e. the perf.

For the plain vanilla SR+ this seems the best price at the moment (43k) especially with the very low mileage.

Both are Fremont builds so check for paint and panel alignment.

A fremont built SR will have the non LFP battery so there is a massive drop in range compared to the LFP/MIC cars. Something to note.

• Advertisement

The MIC versus Freemont cars are the same in model name and mostly looks only, they are a country mile apart in all other respects with MIC vastly superior

My brother has a post face lift Fremont SR+ with the non-LFP battery and we have a MIC LR. His car has less interior rattles than ours and I like the fact it doesn't have that annoying reverse UFO sound. The paint and bodywork are good too and his trunk lock is very silent. I think the earlier the Fremont car more careful you have to be with checking them.

I would be very tempted of that blue and white performance if we didn't already have the LR. It's in my absolute favourite colour combo and spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

That white 2019 Model 3 is the first to be advertised at a price a little more in line with normal depreciation (about €46.7K new though, so still a tiny amount) and that which Tesla is now offering for trade-ins according to one or two posters in the Model 3 thread. Still, not too bad with that mileage and also includes a tow bar if needed. There seems to be better value at the highend with LR and Perf cars, for which the Fremont builds still have perks missing or disabled in the SR+

The used prices on Tesla direct went up a month ago by 3k on several SR+ and RWD models. Some of their 2021 RWDs are more expensive than new, mostly due to enhanced autopilot, of course. The rate they are making them, I'd say they will temporarily at least offer a reduction at some point.

I agree with you on the reversing sound, but apart from that the MIC has much larger safer battery that you can charge to 100% without worry which transfers greater range on paper into even greater range on the ground, also has a better long life motor, that's the two main differences and then you get into heat pump, laminated glass up front, de chrome, heated seats all around, heater mirrors, heated wipers, better screen, power boot, lithium "12v" and then a few other bits and bobs I've forgotten. MIC Model 3s have gone up in price partly to do with all these improvements and the early Freemont cars have taken advantage to the unwise by following up in value when really they have none of the value added improvements listed. Visually they look the same so folk think they are getting a great price but are they really?

Re rattle, tell Tesla, this is covered under warranty so they will address it

What you say is true. I have never even sat in an pre-facelift Model 3 so don't know how they compare to my brother's car. But that as least was as well put together as ours being US built and all. But it already had the improvements apart from the Lithium and the double glazing. We drove his car several thousands of kilometres last summer and it was faultless. I think the steering in same settings was a bit lighter on it but that could have been due to AWD vs RWD.

The earlier models had a different body construction even so could have been very different indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Nah, it's Ok. Any issues will be covered under tesla warranty!!!😄

They are not poles apart. The Fremont cars have a bad rep and I personally think it’s unjust after having 3 of them!

But they are, what are the main “bits” in an EV, the battery and motor, 2019 Fremont Vs 2022 MIC have completely different ones and lots of other changes

I suppose i commented after the paint/gap post. Then the post with the tech came in

I wouldn’t argue with you on the tech side. I completely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Looks a decent car. Has obviously got a quick valet, has main dealer service history, original matching dealer reg plates etc. On the flipside, it’s got high kms in terms of having battery warranty and has been treated to some chinese ditch finder tyres. It’ll probably surface on donedeal in a few weeks with a fresh nct, service book missing and some km’s missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Someone might get a bargain but I would probably bid 11/12k maximum on it, if I could be bothered. Note price you pay is higher than final bid price as commissions added on.

In the photos it shows "check ev system" warning and "front collision alert not working" . These may totally be down to low 12 volt battery but I would want to start car multiple times to ensure faults clear. Faults may not clear if another car is parked directly in front of car.

On the "auto guru" report it mentions badly painted on back left so likely crash repair. Scratches are listed too. They say only 3mm thread on each tyre.

I would bring my obd scanner and check for faults and battery cell errors. You can use ioniq specific phone apps.

The car is really only suitable for those with low mileage as throwing another 100,000km on the battery is relatively high risk.

If I was going to bid I would use the reg and chassis number to do a check for written off. I would be there a 08:30 with my own jumper pack and obd reader and check what I could. Often then only unlock cars 5 minutes before they go up for auction so it's really high risk not for the faint hearted. If we could trace the previous owner it would allay fears. You don't get to test drive the cars so people with dodgy cars often put them.in an auction knowing a test drive is not possible and cars are sold as seen.

There may be less bidders as mainstream dealers may not be interested or know it's value. The owner now cowboy may put a minimum amount on it (reserve) based on the phone calls he received showing interest.

In my experience with Merlins, one of three things will happen.

1 - someone will get a bargain at 9-9.5k and just beat the reserve. (This is what I aimed for, I don't really go to car auctions anymore, the odd online Wilsons one excepted)

2- a couple of people will bid it up and overpay for a lemon.

3 - not enough bids and it doesnt sell.

9-9.5k would make it about 10.5k after all fees etc and even for a dodgy Ioniq needing 1-2k possibly of work that's still a great deal. I disagree about needing to be low mileage. These early cobalt filled Ioniq28 batteries are bulletproof. Second only to LFP chemistry in that regard

Batteries are solid but you will have got some degradation, so range drop at 200k km, possibly about 15-20%

15-20%? I don't think so, not in an Ioniq. The one I sold recently had around 130k on it and had no noticeable range loss. The purchaser scanned it with OBD and it showed no degradation. I'm not silly enough to believe there's no degradation but obviously the buffer is being released.

Those cobalt filled batteries from ioniq28 are one of the best cells to have and I'd put money on there being less deg there than my model S, which I sold with just under 200k on the clock and around 7% degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Seems a good alternative to a similarly priced Nissan Leaf if you don’t have an issue with high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Seems odd that’s being auctioned - given the delays in getting EVs at the moment, I would have thought that the trade would be all over that, unless it is a finance repossession?

• Advertisement

Weird is right. Surely a BMW dealer would have been happy to buy that and sell it on for full list price or very near?

Advertisement