Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

WTF is wrong with DoneDeal :(

Put a search in for cars between €100 and €9999 that have "Electric" as fuel type. 97 results of which only 3 are electric :rolleyes:

AutoTrader don't have any problems in this area. Electric is Electric. Maybe they don't let the punter pick a category and instead fill this field from a database when your putting up your car for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

unkel wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with DoneDeal :(

Put a search in for cars between €100 and €9999 that have "Electric" as fuel type. 97 results of which only 3 are electric :rolleyes:

AutoTrader don't have any problems in this area. Electric is Electric. Maybe they don't let the punter pick a category and instead fill this field from a database when your putting up your car for sale?

Electric windows skew results

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bigus wrote: »
    Electric windows skew results
    No, if you select fuel type electric it doesnt

However, what does skew results, is people putting hybrids in as electric

Aye. Or worse. The system automatically puts it in as hybrid when that word appears somewhere in the description / tag words / ad title, etc.

Obviously Autotrader are a more professional outfit, not having made these basic mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Two 6.6kW Leafs (142 SVE and 151 SV) for under £10k.
    With current exchange rate you'd have them landed for about €10500.

https://drive-green.co.uk/product/nissan-leaf-acenta/
    https://drive-green.co.uk/product/nissan-leaf-tekna-2014-6-6kw/

The Tekna is listed at £10495 but he has offered it on the UK forum for less than £10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

KCross wrote: »
    Two 6.6kW Leafs (142 SVE and 151 SV) for under £10k.
    With current exchange rate you'd have them landed for about €10500.

https://drive-green.co.uk/product/nissan-leaf-acenta/
    https://drive-green.co.uk/product/nissan-leaf-tekna-2014-6-6kw/

The Tekna is listed at £10495 but he has offered it on the UK forum for less than £10k.

The Tekna is now listed at £9995.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Tekna is now listed at £9995.

I don't think it's a bargain as such. Good value, yes....but not a bargain. I bought the same year, mileage and spec in the UK, plus the chrome pack (worth a couple hundred pounds) 4 months ago for £1K more. The big difference is the exchange rate has taken a further beating and is about 6p lower than when I bought.

A real bargain will be snapped up inside of a day, or two.

goz83 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a bargain as such. Good value, yes....but not a bargain. I bought the same year, mileage and spec in the UK, plus the chrome pack (worth a couple hundred pounds) 4 months ago for £1K more. The big difference is the exchange rate has taken a further beating and is about 6p lower than when I bought.

Agree, my 141 Tekna was nearly £1500 less from a private seller (minus cost of flight and ferry etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree, my 141 Tekna was nearly £1500 less from a private seller (minus cost of flight and ferry etc).

I knew those comments were coming! :)

I'm not watching the market that closely so I'll bow to your more recent knowledge of UK prices. My main motivation for posting them was that they were 6.6kW and reasonably priced (or seemed to me anyway). The 6.6kW's are relatively hard to find and this guy has two so I thought it worth a posting for the lurkers on this forum.

Any would be buyers can make up their own on whether they are good value or not and I'm sure there is wriggle room on price as well.

I'm getting ready to sell mine.
    2014 6.6kw tekna.

I was expecting to ask around 11750. But by the looks of this thread compared to UK prices it may be overpriced??

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I knew those comments were coming! :)

I'm not watching the market that closely so I'll bow to your more recent knowledge of UK prices. My main motivation for posting them was that they were 6.6kW and reasonably priced (or seemed to me anyway). The 6.6kW's are relatively hard to find and this guy has two so I thought it worth a posting for the lurkers on this forum.

Any would be buyers can make up their own on whether they are good value or not and I'm sure there is wriggle room on price as well.

To be fair, you have to look really hard, even in the UK, to get a 14 Tekna for £8500 - £9000, most are a fair bit more (in fact £9995 is one of the cheaper Tekna's out there).

But you can get lucky if you wait and keep looking, and are happy enough to buy privately rather than from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

If the pound keeps going south UK will become a really attractive location for building cars and other exports. Pity about the folk there that decide to trade in for an imported car.

Something will have to give there.

samih wrote: »
    If the pound keeps going south UK will become a really attractive location for building cars

No it won't :p

After brexit all cars built there will attract import duty if they want to export them to the EU. Unless of course the brexit recession in the UK will be so bad that wages collapse leading to very low production costs (taking into account most materials / sub-assemblies will still have to be imported into the UK - these will be very expensive in GBP terms)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

No it won't :p

After brexit all cars built there will attract import duty if they want to export them to the EU. Unless of course the brexit recession in the UK will be so bad that wages collapse leading to very low production costs (taking into account most materials / sub-assemblies will still have to be imported into the UK - these will be very expensive in GBP terms)

Nissan at least has gotten guarantee from UK govt. that any potential duties will be reimbursed. It would be interesting to know what percentage of components in the uk made Nissans are produced in UK.

If the GBP continues to slide it will take care of the wages. The real loser will be the car buying public that buys an import (expecially with potential import duty slapped on). Seeing how the UK (and hence Irish) second hand car market treats usable cars as obsolete garbage, it may not be a bad thing really if the second hand prices stabilise as a result.

samih wrote: »
    Nissan at least has gotten guarantee from UK govt. that any potential duties will be reimbursed.

Wasn't aware of that. UK govt. are obviously sh1tting themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Wasn't aware of that. UK govt. are obviously sh1tting themselves!

Toyota have withheld all investment to see how it plays out. Avensis production stopping soon. Plant was very quiet when I was there in July

Not doubt most UK car manufacturing will go to eastern Europe soon enough. Turkeys voting for Christmas, them Brits :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Not doubt most UK car manufacturing will go to eastern Europe soon enough. Turkeys voting for Christmas, them Brits :p

US car manufacturers produce in Mexico rather than the US not for cheap labour. But because Mexico has more free trade deals with other countries. You can sell Mexican made cars to more countries than US made cars. Also US have tariffs on car part imported into the US for protectionist purposes.

UK car manufacturing will go outside of the UK not for wages. But for the same reason you can actually sell the cars to other countries. VW plants in the US are nearly entirely automated. Car manufacturing is entirely completely automated. AFAIK Tesla said you can automated the entire manufacturing process bar some of the paint spraying and buffing. The human eye is still superior to a machine in that context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Yep, I'd say double that price at least without the rental.

• Advertisement

Early Leaf from Bill Griffin Motors €5,750

Comes with free home charger install or so it says. I doubt he'll give you more than €200 off the price, but as that stands and with the warranty a sale from a garage comes with, that is not a bad price at all

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Early Leaf from Bill Griffin Motors €5,750

Comes with free home charger install or so it says. I doubt he'll give you more than €200 off the price, but as that stands and with the warranty a sale from a garage comes with, that is not a bad price at all

Linky

Is it an SV model? I wonder how much the battery has degraded, how much are battery packs going for now any know?

We are giving serious consideration to purchasing a leaf and I'm researching at the moment, taking a test drive on Tuesday but it seems like we only be able to have a 20 minute test drive, pity they no longer seem to do the 48 hour ones

loopymum wrote: »
    Is it an SV model? I wonder how much the battery has degraded, how much are battery packs going for now any know?

We are giving serious consideration to purchasing a leaf and I'm researching at the moment, taking a test drive on Tuesday but it seems like we only be able to have a 20 minute test drive, pity they no longer seem to do the 48 hour ones

It's a Gen1 which (depending on your needs of course) will continue to degrade a lot quicker than a gen1.5.

You can see the current (approximate) state of battery health by looking at the white bars on the right side of the dash. The top white bar represents 15% of capacity, and the next ones each are 6.25%.
    So if you are looking at that leaf and it is showing 10 bars of 12, that means that the battery has degraded by a minimum of 21.25% since new. I suspect it has 10 bars or less as it is very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's a Gen1 which (depending on your needs of course) will continue to degrade a lot quicker than a gen1.5.

You can see the current (approximate) state of battery health by looking at the white bars on the right side of the dash. The top white bar represents 15% of capacity, and the next ones each are 6.25%.
    So if you are looking at that leaf and it is showing 10 bars of 12, that means that the battery has degraded by a minimum of 21.25% since new. I suspect it has 10 bars or less as it is very cheap.

Any estimates of real life range would you be talking if battery has degraded to 75%.

zapata wrote: »
    Any estimates of real life range would you be talking if battery has degraded to 75%.
    Real world range of a gen1 would be approx 100-120km
    75% of that is 75-90km.

Realistically it's ~75km unless you can drive from 100% to turtle mode (~0%).

The upside of a gen1 is that it's much cheaper than a gen1.5, due to the above range limitations. It also "fast charges" slower than a gen 1.5, which in turn is slower than a gen 1.5 with the 30kWh (bigger) battery.

Thanks.
    So is this solely down to the battery type?
    If a battery from a scrap Gen 1.5 was installed would it improve things.

I've read of individual battery cells failing and being replaced within the battery pack of prius cars - any evidence of that in the leafs?

You'd be better off buying a gen1.5, as the mooted cost of replacing a gen1 with 1.5 battery is €5k. And that's still only with the updated 24kWh , the 30kWh is not retro compatible. There are companies that can repair individual cells, no experience with it myself, my leaf is currently at ~92 state of health at nearly 100k km so thankfully that's not something I have to deal with.

I am aware of a guy who has a gen1 with 100km and is just after losing his second bar, for comparison.

Hmmm. I have one way 30km trip to work without charge facilities so might be possible within range to get me home at the mo. Plus maybe an odd 250km one way journey to Kerry. I'd like to experience the electric revolution without breaking the bank but the range anxiety on this would probably drive me lala. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

My last Leaf was down to 10 bars with about 83% I think. 90km was its limit driving normally. I probably could have squeezed it to 110km with hypermileing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

zapata wrote: »
    Hmmm. I have one way 30km trip to work without charge facilities so might be possible within range to get me home at the mo. Plus maybe an odd 250km one way journey to Kerry. I'd like to experience the electric revolution without breaking the bank but the range anxiety on this would probably drive me lala. :-)

The daily commute - it should be OK.
    The trip to Kerry - not worth the hassle with that kind of range, I mean it! :)

Advertisement