Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Yeah, I would be the same on the valet. Just something that is more forgivable if you are looking at a 4-5k car rather than a 40-50k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You did well with that, the cost to change would suggest you sold for a price beginning with a 4 rather than a 3. Well done. I've a similar sept reg m3 myself and whilst I paid 54k, I accept that the current value is at best 40k but realistically late 30's. I'd probably have taken the 38k from the garage tbh, very very few garages will entertain any Teslas at the moment as they got burned with the price drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Sorry forgot about the deposit and a few hundred as i was rounding up or down, so cost me 4.5k to change

My model 3 had a paid colour and white seats so is now 47k to buy new, driver was very knowledgeable, he had no interest in the Y or any SUV type vehicles and didn't want to wait until later in the summer or September for a model 3.

I got multiple 40k plus offers over the last week, 2 others over 42 so there is still demand for them, I think it was the lowest priced 222 model 3 in Ireland for a good while.

Not sounding biased towards my own car but don't think he did bad getting the car for the price he did as he didn't want to wait months for a brand new one, it genuinely is in pristine condition and have very very low mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Still an outlier transaction from someone very keen to get a good car for a couple grand less than new. Which is well less than a years' depreciation. Maybe he is aware of this, maybe not. But it would have given him a lower total cost of ownership if he had bought one brand new and waited for a few months to get it. The days of zero or negative depreciation on EVs are well and truly over now. At least until the €5k grant is fully or partially scrapped.

I guess the fact that he wanted a Model 3 over a Model Y shows that he is not that concerned with total cost of ownership and he has enough money to lose a few extra grand on the car, without caring about that. Power to him so! Personally I'd rather keep that money in my own pocket and pay towards a family holiday. Or more investment in renewables. Or something 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not sure they're completely over yet, I called around garages today in Cork and 2 of them came back to me offering 34,500 for my I.D 3 Style, 2 years old and 50,000km on it, can only presume I'd get a little more private, paid 36,000 new in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd take them up on that offer. if you are looking to sell. I know cars are more expensive now but that is barely any depreciation compared to what you paid for it two years ago and 50k km.

Cash offer? Bite their hand off. The car isn't worth anywhere near that in the real world, but some people are still catching up and not aware. Equilibriums are instant in micro economics theory, but in practice this is not perfect 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Were the garages VW dealerships?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

That's a really good price. I did the same with a top spec 2021 62kWh LEAF and offers were quite a few grand lower (obvs ID.3 has cooled battery, CCS, faster charging which is a big plus and VW is very popular). I rang pretty much every Nissan dealer and took the best offer I could negotiate anticipating the flood of used stock that would arrive once Tesla VINs started appearing.

After a few weeks, I was looking at various 2020 Model 3s, all private sales and around the 35-36 price point and took one of them. I had really wanted a 2021 Model 3 in MSM or blue or black, for which none were forthcoming for less than 40k. I'm sure they'll eventually appear, perhaps with the second shipment of Tesla MYs. The only dealer I could see with realistic prices was Autopoint in Tralee which sold a few on before I had completed my sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

Autopoint in tralee are "wesellyourcar.ie" and agree they are the most competitive. We may see more teslas there in the next few months if owners don't want the hassle of selling privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Sell sell sell! Having priced around to sell my own ID.3, I can tell you that's a great price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Is the used price reflecting the before grant price of new car so €41k and depn of around €6k, rather than the after grant price? I'm sure sellers would like to promote the after grant price when selling new but the before grant new price when selling used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Used prices reflect the cost new after the grant has been deducted.

Interesting to see if used car prices go up by 5k if the grant goes in July, I doubt it somehow 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

I compared prices of my 192 e-Golf with similar spec/mileage/condition across the Europe and Ireland isn't more expensive. Of course e-Golf is not representative but anybody can look up there make/model and compare. https://www.autoscout24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

interesting website, thanks.

The reviews of the e golf have been positive allround, and i did look at them when buying my 1st ev, in 2021, but passed, due to the low 200km range, and went with a 2020 42kw i3, with closer to 300km range, depending on conditions of course.

E golf is a perfect EV, for mainly local driving, and/or a 2nd EV, and there is definitely a market for that, good luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

I think the VRT is zero on this M3 and assuming it's on Northern plates, should come in around €32k with no VAT & excise payable (I think). A few more M3s coming up for sale in last week or so around the €35k mark

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-3-2019/33392498

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

I feel like the garage who bought mine is being a tad optimistic @50k....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Based on the line up of them in Frank Hogan's VW dealership they're not flying off the shelves anyway. Prices like that, you'd swear people were gazumping each other.

i took 44k of their finest euros and happy enough with that 👍

• Advertisement

Add 2k more of your finest euros and you're in a brand new Model Y, which in many ways is superior to your old car. You win, Sir! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Nope. That's the beauty of the Tesla. The base RWD has only 60kWh vs the ID.4 having 77kWh, but the former has a more efficient drivetrain and much better aerodynamics. My guess is that the 120km/h GPS speed range of both cars is very similar. If I were a betting man and someone was forcing my hand, I'd say the Tesla might even beat it.

Ya no brainier, however if the price reduction didn’t happen I would have had a bit more of a decision to make.. would have been more like 8/9k

The thing is, your ID.4 should have dropped in value in line with the Tesla price drop (a bit less as it's second hand). But someone didn't cop on to that yet when they bought it off you 😁

EV-Database indicates otherwise in all of the scenarios they publish, has anyone actually tested them back to back ?

I dunno but I'd love to see it. Maybe a couple of owners here can test it when someone gets their Model Y RWD?

Out of interest, do you have links to those EV-database figures for these two cars? Are you sure they point to the exact cars we get here for the Irish market (i.e. made in China Model Y RWD with CATL 60kWh LiFePO4 pack?). Are you sure the cars are tested at our motorway speeds of 120km/h actual speed, not at the speed limit of some other country?

Might not be exactly the same spec cars but should be close enough for comparative purposes, highway range is at 110Kph

https://ev-database.org/car/1273/Volkswagen-ID4-1st

Like I thought. Big difference in range if you go up from 110km/h to 120km/h if you compare a car with excellent aerodynamics to a car with poor aerodynamics. Would be a close call, with the Model Y being a slight favourite. Is my guess. Particularly in winter starting from cold, where the Model Y has the heat pump as standard. On the ID.4 a heat pump is not even an option. Go figure how important range is to the big bosses at VW 😂

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will be close and I won’t have lost much range in the Y. But I actually found the id4 to have good range. The real bug bearer besides the software was what you get as standard. Not even a camera. You’re up into 60’s if you start including sunroof, camera, fancier head lights etc etc

Advertisement