Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I was watching a youtube vid recently (was it linked here?) where a yank was getting his leaf battery to degrade enough to get a new pack from Nissan under warranty. Is that only a US thing?

Found it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, its if you lose over 4 bars within warranty you get a replacement. Available here too.
    More applicable in the southern US states with gen1 leafs due to the higher temps

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, its if you lose over 4 bars within warranty you get a replacement. Available here too.
    More applicable in the southern US states with gen1 leafs due to the higher temps
    OK, ummmm, what would it take to get a leaf battery down to 8 bars in Ireland? If you tried, like. :D

Falcon L wrote: »
    OK, ummmm, what would it take to get a leaf battery down to 8 bars in Ireland? If you tried, like. :D
    If it's a gen1, the pre 2013 one with the cream interior and the older battery chemistry, just fast charge the hell out of it.

The non-lizard pack leafs seem to not like fast charging.

PS I think it's once you lose over 4 bars within warranty period. Warranty is (i think) 5 years 100km on battery?. So you've only got 1 more year at best on the last of the gen1.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If it's a gen1, the pre 2013 one with the cream interior and the older battery chemistry, just fast charge the hell out of it.

The non-lizard pack leafs seem to not like fast charging.

PS I think it's once you lose over 4 bars within warranty period. Warranty is (i think) 5 years 100km on battery?. So you've only got 1 more year at best on the last of the gen1.
    I wonder if anyone has had a battery replacement under warranty here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Falcon L wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone has had a battery replacement under warranty here.

Nobody yet. And with the post-2013 Leafs degradation appears to be 4-5 times slower in our climate.

One or two of the high mileage 2011 leaf owners (200k+) have been talking about getting pack swaps, but they're out of warranty so what they'll pay for that (~€5k) would be better spent on a newer EV that doesn't suffer the same issues as the Gen1.

One thing to note about the Gen1 is that when they do pack replacement they get the newer battery (with an adapter) from the post-2013 so the issue won't occur again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've been totting up my daily mileage and a gen 1 probably wouldn't suit us unfortunately even though the price would!
    We are rural dwellers with 3 kids who seem to have endless activites, some days I would be doing over 100kms and the OH already has range anxiety

loopymum wrote: »
    I've been totting up my daily mileage and a gen 1 probably wouldn't suit us unfortunately even though the price would!
    We are rural dwellers with 3 kids who seem to have endless activites, some days I would be doing over 100kms and the OH already has range anxiety

You'd need a gen1.5 with that daily km alright

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Girl on Facebook selling an ABL Home Charger.
    Price is €250 or €200 if you can collect and disconnect from the wall yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

kceire wrote: »
    Girl on Facebook selling an ABL Home Charger.
    Price is €250 or €200 if you can collect and disconnect from the wall yourself.

Hopefully she still has the key to open it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

can you send on the link

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€200 for a 32A* German made charger is pretty decent!

*flashable

"Immaculate" Leaf €4,950

Looks rough / dirty to me. Did get a recent NCT, so a worry less. No major suspension issues need doing. Has optional granny cable, you could sell that for a few quid to easy the asking price (for low budget EV onwership). Pick up above €200 charger for the cash you save.

Is he going to refuse €4k cash if you show up in Ballivor?

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    "Immaculate" Leaf €4,950

Looks rough / dirty to me. Did get a recent NCT, so a worry less. No major suspension issues need doing. Has optional granny cable, you could sell that for a few quid to easy the asking price (for low budget EV onwership). Pick up above €200 charger for the cash you save.

Linky

Am I reading the Dash right.... its down 2 bars?
    I think you would struggle to get 100km if it is down 2 bars.

If you got it for €4k I suppose it would still make a very good runaround.

Sure all sub €6k Leafs would have at least 2 bars missing :D

Would make a very decent budget EV alright at €4k (incl. charger)

Sure all sub €6k Leafs would have at least 2 bars missing :D

Would make a very decent budget EV alright at €4k (incl. charger)

I suppose they would be, particularly the 2011-2012 ones, but his claim of 100km range is dubious in "normal" driving, is what Im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

"Immaculate" Leaf €4,950

Looks rough / dirty to me.

Jaysus, that's harsh.

She looks very tidy to me. Don't know what you're expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's harsh.

She looks very tidy to me. Don't know what you're expecting.

I didn't see anything very bad either. But don't forget @Unkel has an eye - and I mean it without a single hint of sarcasm.

grogi wrote: »
    I didn't see anything very bad either. But don't forget @Unkel has an eye - and I mean it without a single hint of sarcasm.

Well there's "having an eye" and there's being unduly critical.

I felt the interior cloth looked dirty. But maybe I'm wrong. The pics are terrible.

And honestly I don't really have they eye for what way a car is cosmetically!

• Advertisement

The interior is spotless.

That's the colour/fabric.

The interior is spotless.

That's the colour/fabric.

I agree.

The rear seat pic looks like it just had a fresh hoover of the fabric as you can see where the hoover was swiped across it giving the dark and light colours which might be interpreted as dirty seats... but I'd say its very clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

"Immaculate" Leaf €4,950

Linky

I was looking at it, down to 9 bars.

I have asked for Leaf Spy and given 2 different email addresses but it is yet to show up.

Was going to offer 4k for it, use as a run around for my mother.

Is it worth it? with 9 bars what would you get per charge?

For 4 grand? Sure it's worth it! Zero depreciaton EV motoring :)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was looking at it, down to 9 bars.

I have asked for Leaf Spy and given 2 different email addresses but it is yet to show up.

Was going to offer 4k for it, use as a run around for my mother.

Is it worth it? with 9 bars what would you get per charge?

You are right, it is 9 bars!.... so its down to ~70% SOH. Max when new is ~120km so I'd say close to 80km now and realistically your Mom isn't going to drive it to 0% so maybe 70km is a more reasonable range to give it.... certainly not the 100km quoted in the ad unless you drive at <80km/h

Not necessarily ~70%. It might be just after dropping the 3rd bar, which means it's still in the mid 80s percentage wise.

Not necessarily ~70%. It might be just after dropping the 3rd bar, which means it's still in the mid 80s percentage wise.

How do you figure that?
    The first bar is 15% and 6.25% for each bar after that.

So, 1st bar gone.... <85%
    Second bar gone: <79%
    3rd bar gone: <73%

Yeah, apologies. Got my percentiles mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Re the cheap leaf ,The answer is in the pics ... fully charged 85 km range

• Advertisement

The vast majority of healthy and mobile 70+ year old people in this country who drive, would very rarely (if ever) drive more than about 70km in a day. For anything long distance they take the free train / bus. And this group of people is growing very fast (in the rest of the EU much faster than here admittedly)

These older EVs with degraded batteries are ideal cars for any of them who have their own driveway. I mean, what would you prefer for your €4k? A 2008 Micra 1.2l automatic or a 2011 Leaf?

Advertisement