Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

Bigus wrote: »
    Re the cheap leaf ,The answer is in the pics ... fully charged 85 km range

It's not fully charged though.

My car is at 75% SOH with 2 blocks gone. Depending on the way I've driven it before charging, it can give me a range of between 98km - 112km @ 100%. Putting it into ECO will add approx. 10km range to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I wouldn't believe anything the Guessometer tells ya! :)

If the last 10km's they did was up and down to the shop at a max of 50km/h it will read high.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do a 130km/h (GPS) trip on the motorway and that indicated 85km will last maybe 30km :p

unkel wrote: »
    Do a 130km/h (GPS) trip on the motorway and that indicated 85km will last maybe 30km :p

Well then a gen 1 Leaf isn't for you.

I'm not quite 70 yet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Whaaath?!

You repeat yourself like you are!

Speak up, I can't hear you, young man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sure all sub €6k Leafs would have at least 2 bars missing :D

Would make a very decent budget EV alright at €4k (incl. charger)

My 5k Leaf was only down 1 bar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Soarer wrote: »
    It's not fully charged though.

My car is at 75% SOH with 2 blocks gone. Depending on the way I've driven it before charging, it can give me a range of between 98km - 112km @ 100%. Putting it into ECO will add approx. 10km range to that.
    That's my range at 92% SOH with all 12 bars.

Although I generally drive at a real world 120* on the motorway, and 90% of my commute is motorway based.
    If I'm not commuting or doing motorway driving you'd see 120-130km at a push but you'd want to be at the charger after 130.

*may be slightly higher in reality. average consumption generally 22-23kWh/100km. The joys of work charging and home charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

KCross wrote: »

I wouldn't believe anything the Guessometer tells ya! :)

If the last 10km's they did was up and down to the shop at a max of 50km/h it will read high.
    Could an unscrupulous seller inflate the displayed range by driving it slowly, before a sale,  I think so

Of course. Caveat emptor. That said it hardly makes a difference if a decent nick €4k Leaf has 70km or 90km range. You don't buy it for the range :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyway to tell if this is Gen 1 or Gen 1.5?
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Nissan-LEAF-5dr-Auto-191893768

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Looks like Gen 1 - no eco button on the steering wheel.

It’s a gen1. The hump in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mel.b wrote: »
    Looks like Gen 1 - no eco button on the steering wheel.

Thanks, I was trying to compare pictures from this one to a 14 but then I couldn't find the Eco button on the 14 either :p

Where is it anyway?

Thanks, I was trying to compare pictures from this one to a 14 but then I couldn't find the Eco button on the 14 either :p

Where is it anyway?

Eco button would be on the right hand side of the steering wheel

Cheap Leaf's a goner. Anyone in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Twas on adverts too and he was looking 4750 a week ago.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/leaf/2011-nissan-leaf/13595124
    Maybe he took the 4500.

Maybe we (the followers of this thread) should group buy the next 'Leafernomic' and experiment how far a Leaf will go on 9 bars... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I'm late to this conversation, but a 2011 euro4.5k Leaf would have been perfect for me. Work commute: rural parking to town 24km round trip. Charge Sunday and Wednesday. Done.
    (Wife has a diesel for anything further)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

kyeev wrote: »
    I'm late to this conversation, but a 2011 euro4.5k Leaf would have been perfect for me. Work commute: rural parking to town 24km round trip. Charge Sunday and Wednesday. Done.
    (Wife has a diesel for anything further)

That's the great thing about it. No matter whether a 40, 60, 100kw comes onto the market, there's still a market for an old 24kw (much of which hasn't even started to be tapped yet).

kyeev wrote: »
    I'm late to this conversation, but a 2011 euro4.5k Leaf would have been perfect for me.

And it will be hard to find another for this kind of money. The good thing is, that if you find one at a very keen price, you will have almost zero depreciation. And that is truly exceptional on any 2011 / 2012 car.

And it will be hard to find another for this kind of money. The good thing is, that if you find one at a very keen price, you will have almost zero depreciation. And that is truly exceptional on any 2011 / 2012 car.

They pop up every few weeks. It's just a matter of keeping an eye out

goz83 wrote: »
    They pop up every few weeks.

For €4k-€4.5k? Every few weeks?

I don't think so. I'd say there's been fewer than 5 Leafs in this country sold for less than five grand.

Please prove me wrong by posting a bargain sub €5k Leaf here every week and help us get more people to switch to EVs!

But if they are that much of a bargain, this last one should have sold a lot quicker than it did.

Over exaggerating the real range probably did not help, especially to those in the know here.
    I reckon that if someone is not 100% truthful on one item then there are probably other other items that they are not truthful about - especially with car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭kurant

For €4k-€4.5k? Every few weeks?

I don't think so. I'd say there's been fewer than 5 Leafs in this country sold for less than five grand.

Please prove me wrong by posting a bargain sub €5k Leaf here every week and help us get more people to switch to EVs!
    Hi! I know very little about leaf's and never drove one .Will be this one good choice to try or better to look for more expensive car?

Here is my thinking on batteries from my experience of mobile phones and regular 12volt car batteries over the years. A battery will degrade gradually over the first 6 years or so. This degrading process seems to speed up after this period until it becomes completely impractical or unusable within a short period after this time.
    These +6year old Leafs batteries are untested on a mass scale as they are only now getting to the +6 year mark so this is a grey area for results. Bit of a gamble imo at the moment.

Now you could buy a 6 year old 2011 Leaf with 9 bars for around the €5k mark with 100k miles and face uncertainty for the next few years. Possibly having to fork out up to another €5k to replace the battery and maybe more parts as the car ages.
    There are 141 Leafs for sale by dealers in Dublin for about €11k with 35k miles at the moment but they should have healthier batteries at 12 bars. Take into account €1.5 to €2k depreciation a year over the next 3 years but at least you would have a very usable vehicle and still save on fossil fuel costs and tax in that period. The depreciation may be less if it is proven that the batteries are holding out.

In 3 years time we will have a better idea on how the earlier Leaf batteries are holding out. Anyone know if there is any difference in quality between a 2011 and 2014 battery or are they exactly the same.

BTW - I am seriously considering the switch to electric from my last century German oil guzzling and oil leaking steel block on wheels. If only I could affordably convert my E36 touring to electrickery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

zapata wrote: »
    Here is my thinking on batteries from my experience of mobile phones and regular 12volt car batteries over the years. A battery will degrade gradually over the first 6 years or so. This degrading process seems to speed up after this period until it becomes completely impractical or unusable within a short period after this time.
    These +6year old Leafs batteries are untested on a mass scale as they are only now getting to the +6 year mark so this is a grey area for results. Bit of a gamble imo at the moment.

Now you could buy a 6 year old 2011 Leaf with 9 bars for around the €5k mark with 100k miles and face uncertainty for the next few years. Possibly having to fork out up to another €5k to replace the battery and maybe more parts as the car ages.
    There are 141 Leafs for sale by dealers in Dublin for about €11k with 35k miles at the moment but they should have healthier batteries at 12 bars. Take into account €1.5 to €2k depreciation a year over the next 3 years but at least you would have a very usable vehicle and still save on fossil fuel costs and tax in that period. The depreciation may be less if it is proven that the batteries are holding out.

In 3 years time we will have a better idea on how the earlier Leaf batteries are holding out. Anyone know if there is any difference in quality between a 2011 and 2014 battery or are they exactly the same.

BTW - I am seriously considering the switch to electric from my last century German oil guzzling and oil leaking steel block on wheels. If only I could affordably convert my E36 touring to electrickery.

Think they are all pretty poor?

300-500 charges and degradation sets on quick in lithium ion

Needs to be more like 3000-5000

Advertisement