Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is it not 135kW for the 58kWh battery and 170kW for the 77kWh version?

I'm not sure at what level the Augmented reality HUD comes in. The Matrix LED headlights are impressive though, I really miss that! The headlights swivel to shine around corners. It's spooky seeing the beams shift with even small steering input on a winding country road!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

What's the drive motor/battery warranty on the ID3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Better autopilot - I don't know, as I haven't tried ID3.

IQ Light - I'm happy with warnings/info on the big screen.

Massage seats - yes please.

Matrix lights - these are on the base M3. Nice upgrade.

HUD - I would like this. Useful for Nav.

Adaptive regen - sounds like VW marketing speak.

Diamond 19s - not a fan. Look crap after 3 or 4 years. Prefer comfy 18s with a choice of wheel covers.

Carplay- I wouldn't use it, but I can see its an important extra for some.

Auto speed adjust - same as M3, but it is still getting updates.

Hatchback - my only genuine dislike about the M3 tbh.

USS - yes, M3 also. I expect Tesla will bring them back by end of year and only current year models won't have them.

Auto wipers - I haven't had any issues with mine. They work great

Play own MP4 - no interest. Are all these really stand out and important?

520 range. - I'm getting about 400 now. Mostly motorway. That's before hitting the buffer which has an extra 50+km. If I drove it like it wasn't stolen, I would be achieving near enough 500.

Yes, the M3 has plenty of other features. Just to mention one..... The infotainment is the best I have ever used.

It also has 5 seats. I didn't know the ID3 LR only has 4. That's mental.

Fair comparison though between the 2 so.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

the battery warranty covers 70% energy capacity, for 8 years and 160,000 km, whichever sooner.

car warranty is 3 years

a few battery caveats though:

https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/owners-and-services/about-your-car/warranty.html/__layer/layers/vx/warranty-conditions/master.layer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The final bit is the real truth and the reality.

EVs are now starting to act like any vehicle. The market dictates the price. The days of retaining crazy money when buying one are over if not near over. They're a depreciating asset like any vehicle. Ioniqs for 12-14 is the price band. People holding out for 15-16 won't get it they'll be left with the car.

This is normal depreciating kicking in and was bound to happen when EVs became more available more main stream more common place.

New facelifted bog standard ID3 Tour 4 is currently €46,410 after grant. Fair enough, that excludes, a lot of extras on your tour. Exterior Pack with the essential LED Matrix lights, adds 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Matrix headlights on the VW cars is brilliant. Far better than the Tesla ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@fafy - "car warranty is 3 years"

That's a problem on a 211 VW that will only be under warranty until the end of this year realistically. If you buy a new Tesla Model 3, you get 4 full years of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

@...Ghost... I think Matrix lights are not being used to full potential in Tesla, last time I drove they did not even bend but perhaps there was some software update. Meanwhile they are incredibly good in VW. If you drive after dark on country roads it really makes a massive difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What I like about Matrix lights, is just how sharp and clear they are. I am sure more updates will improve the Tesla ones if there are improvements to make. I honestly knew very little about the ID3, which is why I asked. A lot of the stuff listed as extras are things I wouldn't seek or miss, but some of the items are things I would like to have. Some I could add as after-market for a few hundred on the higher end. There are some excellent after market carplay/auto options which are plug and play and sit behind the steering wheel looking like they are stock. I decided against it, because I would only be buying what I was accustomed to; a display behind the steering wheel.

Another feature I love in Teslas that the ID3 misses is the Frunk. I couldn't do without one. Great for putting the bag of chips (loaded with salt & vinegar) into so the car doesn't stink for days after. If the M3 was a hatch and had a few more inches behind the front seats, I would declare it the best possible car for me.

Anyway, we should get back on topic. Sorry for further derailing the thread folks.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

bag of chips (loaded with salt & vinegar)

That smell not a good thing to have in a car. 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Frunk is brilliant for take aways, thought I was the only one that would see that as a nice plus, M3 also has heat pump and lith 12v battery so should never fail for life of car, the remote app should not be discounted either plus the ability to remote drop the charge rate which is extremely handy in conjunction with solar PV

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I used the frunk for a takeaway once. It fell over, spilling the contents onto the nice frunk carpet 😒 And vinegar on chips is disgusting, smells of dirty old sweaty men. I suppose whatever turns you on, but that's not for me 😁

To be honest, the frunk doesn't add an awful lot of benefits to me 99% of the time. That said the absolutely massive frunk in my previous Model S was handy when the 5 of us plus dog went on holidays in Ireland a few years ago. We could bring everything with us and the kitchen sink, no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

For the majority of buyers, VW finance will trump Tesla software and superchargers all day long; and many id3 customers are trading out of VW PCPs.

This has been our experience for many years now - VW offered the best deal by absolutely miles, and work to protect the 2nd hand market, while Tesla do the opposite, for now anyway.

Re the Tour being a 4 seater - did I dream this, or is it something to do with weight restrictions - it was too heavy?

No, initially the tour was a 4 seater, then it became available in 5 seats, with a lower equipment level,

for the refreshed model out soon, its back to 4 seater again !

https://insideevs.com/news/492441/volkswagen-id3-tour-5-seats/

Yep I don't think anyone can argue with any of that. Same reason the that obsolete Leaf was still selling quite well until some time last year - it had zero percent finance.

And don't underestimate that humans are creatures of habit. Many people just keep buying the same make for life, they don't know or care about other makes or models that might be better or cheaper.

And yeah I think you remember right about the tour being too heavy already, it wouldn't be able to get a safety rating if it had to cater for another person in it (+75kg). Which is pretty insane in a small family hatch size car. I just checked and even the cheapest smallest lightest ID.3 weighs the same as my BMW 735i V8 petrol from the mid 90s weighed - a car 3 sizes bigger with a massive engine. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd love to buy Silents Tour but at the moment we're looking to get work done on the house so I'll stick with the Ioniq 28 for another year or two at the least.

The 4 seats would make no difference to me at all as it's usually only myself in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭joe1303l

4 seats could definitely put off a % of buyers. In something like a Taycan it’s less relevant but it would impact a family hatch like an ID3. It was a really poor solution by VW if it was a weight restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a tour as well. It’s become the main family car for our family of four. The two lads are still in high back boosters so you couldn’t really fit another person easily in a five seater anyway.

when I bought it you could get a tour or tour five for slightly cheaper with lower spec. The tour 5 had five seats. I wanted the massage seats and lumbar support which is why we went for tour.

it’s a genuinely brilliant car. Not sure why they are so underrated. Similar spec ID.4 is 70 k. I paid 41.

vw probably messed up launching the Id.3 before it was fully ready and it’s reputation was forever tarnished then.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of the above. The ID.3 was released (escaped) in 2020 with truly woeful software and hardware that didn't like to be updated. The two ICAS control modules have been quietly replaced with upgraded ones on most, if not all, 2020and 2021 cars at this stage. I know that mine were done in the first two weeks of the car's life. But the software was still poor.

The 2.4 software made a bit of a difference. My car took 3.0 over the air in September last year and it transformed the car. Everything just worked, the car felt complete. I believe the current campaign of workshop update to 3.2 improves a few more things. Reports seem to suggest that efficiency is better, but that could just be the Summer effect or the consumption now being shown on the dashboard screen.

I remember reading somewhere that VW saved six billion Euro in EU emissions fines by launching the ID range in 2020. That would explain the hasty launch.

From my experience, the ID.3 is now a brilliant car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Apparently they were also losing money on every eGolf they built. When I first saw an ID.3 in a showroom, I thought the interior was cheap looking, I’m still not that convinced that it isn’t even on hi spec versions. A Cupra Born interior seems much better for similar money but I haven’t seen inside a facelift ID.3 yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

10.9% from Joe Duffy VW was the official figure yesterday the sales team.

There’s an offer on this weekend of 4.9% to shift the vast excess stock they have at the moment. They have cars from last September sitting there unsold.

I was actually one of the very first reservation holders on the ID.3. On the Irish launch event in Weston in 2019 (only for press and reservation holders) I was a bit taken back by the cheap low quality interior, which was a huge step down from the eGolf. But at the time I expected the entry level of the car to be around €28k, and that was (and still is) econobox money for a new EV. My car at the time was the Ioniq 28kWh, also an econobox, so I have no problem with that.

But what really disappointed is that VW had advertised the ID.3 as being the size of a Golf but with the interior space of a Passat. That was simply a lie. There is no space for 3 average size adults / teenagers in the back, not even at a push. The rear bench is simply far too narrow. There is in the Ioniq (at a push). I cancelled my reservation soon after.

looks very reasonable for a long range ID4, seller says he is trading in next week.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-4-long-range-82kw-battery-204bhp/34164594

That's a lot of EV for your money. I'd buy it. Good find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

We and many others here were amongst the first buyers of the ID.3 here in this country. Starting at about €33K for a fairly well equipped 58kWh 204hp RWD car, there was little competition at the time. Prices were actually forecast to drop and probably would have had the whole industry not suffered such shortages at the time. I do remember in the UK for a short period that a base (Non 1st model) was available for about €27k but that did not last long.

That is probably what VW was aiming for, as a mass produced small family EV. Priced same as a Golf, pay extra for spec etc. I always felt is was a great value, fun car. Plenty of room for 4 full size adults and a good boot. I even thought the simple modern interior was pleasing to the eye, perhaps that's why I like the Model 3..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

This is a good point - the ID3 needs to be considering in the context of what else was available in late 2019. the model 3 was only just starting to get delivered, after a 3 year wait (for Irish buyers) and VW announced and delivered the ID3 in about 5 months, ditto the ID4 a year later - you get the impression VW knew the ID3 ‘product’ needed to be better, hence the reasonably early announcement of the refresh

Should be some truth to it, it’s was €37,500 yesterday so a quick weekend drop.

• Advertisement

The ID was announced at the Paris motor show in October, 2016 so the same 3 year wait from VW on its release in 2019.

4 year life cycle seems the norm with the Germans. BMW do exactly the same with their LCI’s.

Advertisement