Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The ordering started in 2019, cars weren't available Europe wide until autumn 2020. In Ireland iirc a few were with customers before the official VW release date.

Back on track, I think that Silent's Tour looks a good car for someone in the market for a long range EV even with the four seats, for normal driving in this country I would imagine fast charging would be a rarity..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

The first Irish ID3 deliveries were Sept 2020 according to beepbeep.

the refresh was announced Fed 2023, just 2.5yrs later.

Midlife refresh announcements tend to happen when the cars are ready for delivery, so there isn’t a bunch of older stock - VW seem to be happy to cull the current ID3 production, offer deals to shift older stock, and get the facelift out there a few months later, but (we hope) be the model the original ID3 should have been

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ID.3 took at least as long as the Model 3 from announcement to delivery. But you are right in that there was quite good availability at the start. And very decent prices as well, particularly for the ID.4. That's long since gone though. We are still waiting for that entry level ID.3 for €28k (after the €5k grant) that we were hoping for back then. VW can't do that without making a loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes first orders in 2019 for delivery within 6 months or so. But it was announced in 2016.

Im simply disputing the previous comment of 3 year waiting list for the model 3. I suppose it’s 2 different brands and one allows order from concept and the other allowed orders when available.

VW Buzz is another example. You can’t actually buy one at the moment I believe. JD have a waiting list and only one demo.

And the VW Buzz is the most overpriced EV in history 😂 But VW is getting that one right, plenty of demand at that price, so a very healthy margin for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

I'm sure a good few grand less than €35k will take it. Good buy for someone if they can live with the terrible software.

If you can get it on 3.0 it’s seemly ok and will update to 3.2 OTA. But it is a step back UI wise getting into on from say a Tesla UI in my opinion.

VW rep told me Saturday they were offering mid 30’s on ID3 and now down to low 20’s so I’d say his trade in offer issue 20’s.

Yes pretty severe drop in values in the last month or so. Teslas got the first hit, but it's everywhere now except maybe the very bottom of the market. Going to be a lot of disappointed sellers. Like the guy who sold me his i3 last night 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Wife's gearbox in the merc is given trouble, likely only a few months before it totally dead. Options are MIL leaf 40kw been traded in end of the year, or go test drove a M3. My worry is warranty with a Tesla but I'll still test drive one 😄.

Any boardies selling their EV? Probably have 20 or 25k

• Advertisement

You don't say much about what you need the car for, how big it needs to be, what range it needs to have, etc. If you give us more details, we will give better advice.

But do go test drive that Tesla Model 3 and see what you think. All Model 3 still have a bit of full Tesla bumper to bumper warranty left, the earliest cars were sold in late 2019

If you are patient and look and negotiate hard, you should be able to pick one up for around €28k. Probably coming down as we speak.

95% of my journeys are Dublin based family live down the country and is 165km motorway door to door. Wife doesn't want to rely on public charging so need to make it door to door. I know most cars will make this without issue but she needs the buffer so in the dead of winter at 120 KPH it won't be an issue.

I have a driveway and will get a 2nd charger installed in the folks when I visit.

No kids yet, but planning in the next 18 months, so space for a buggy, bags etc. Hrm 28k sounds decent ill be able to stretch to that.

You have loads of options, something like a Hyundai Kona has even more range than the Tesla and can be picked up for around €25k these days for a 2020 or so with a couple years manufacturer's warranty left. You could even buy a budget brand new EV like an MG4 for a few grand over budget.

Take your time, do your research, go test drive cars, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hey folks - looking for a little advice. We are currently a one-car household, I drive a Volvo XC40 fully electric work car, which I love. This September my oldest son will be going to school and my wife needs a run-around car, that will not be doing that much mileage or distance.

The furthest daily journeys would be occasional trips from Stepaside, Dublin 18 to Portmarnock, Co. Dublin roundtrip, so 90km total. But otherwise daily usage would probably be under 10km on average. Doesn't need to be big, just big enough to accommodate two child seats in the rear.

We don't have a set budget, but thinking between €5k-€15k is about right. I know that's a big range! Any recommendations for types of cars to look at, what might represent good value at present? I am aware that the best value in the game at present is a new Tesla, but don't think she'd be interested in that much car TBH.

You won't get any EV that can do that trip for the bottom end of your budget. And I wouldn't recommend a Nissan Leaf 24kWh as it would struggle to do 90km on a bad winter's day. So then you are talking from about €8k for a Nissan Leaf 30kWh, a couple grand more for an early BMW i3, a couple grand more again for a Hyundai Ioniq and a couple grand more again but still in budget for an early eGolf.

At the moment there is an Ioniq for sale with an asking price of €13k, read back a few pages in this thread to find it. That's a lot of car for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IONIQ28 - /question

That ID4 sold now.

Anything Leaf 30 kWh and above will cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd second that ioniq unkel mentioned. Showed it to my mother, myself and 2 siblings were going to buy it for her but she had no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

I have a 191 Ioniq (100k fully serviced) one owner(me) which I love and a Nissan Leaf 171 30kw teckna (67k). I would like to go up a few years to a new or used car with a better range, keeping one for my SO. The only way of funding this is by selling either one privately as garages are offering silly money. What could I reasonably expect for either thinking along 19k for the Ioniq and 14k for the Leaf?

any advice gratefully appreciated.

• Advertisement

I think both are a bit overpriced and certainly not a bargain. Ioniqs are going for as low as 13k on this thread.

Would you care to disclose how much the garaged offered? Plenty of EVs been relisted with price reductions but the prices are a little high for a private sale. Is your 191 the 28kw version?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

is that the bigger battery Ioniq? 38kWh one? Griffin motors selling one for 19k with same mileage, warranty is out on battery and drive system? Don't think the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty covers the battery and drive? Could be wrong. I'd think closer to 15k if its a 28kWh one in a private sale.

Leaf will be a tough one, Merlin auctions got rid of a load of them last week, one like yours sold for 9k :(

Car has one year and the battery has 5 years warranty left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

It's 160k km or 8 years whichever comes first?

I'd be getting rid of the Leaf myself, Ioniq is a nice car, very efficient with good BMS

Yes Ioniq28 is a half generation ahead of the L30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

At Merlins auction this morning

2014 Leaf sold for €6,200 + fees

2018 sold for €7,400 + fees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

If the 2018 is a 2nd generation then, unless it's a serious high miler, thats a serious bargain! Think I'll be holding onto my L30 until I scrap it for the battery at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

Advertisement