Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

There's a massive difference between the 2011 Leaf and later EV batteries.

Nissan was prepared to scale Gen 1 Leaf production quickly to 1 million units per annum if required, and to allow scaling without running into raw material supply issues at the time, they used a cobalt-free Lithium Manganese Oxide chemistry. Unfortunately this combined a non-temperature controlled pack, a pack design that stacked some cells on top of others, the late addition of DC rapid charging and practically the most temperature sensitive lithium-ion chemistry of them all.

The Gen 1 Leaf and Renault Fluence/Kangoo were aberrations. All later vehicles have much better longevity.

For all practical purposes it's a non-issue except in the used market. I would not advise a first time EV owner buy a Gen1 Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

unkel wrote: »
    For €4k-€4.5k? Every few weeks?

I don't think so. I'd say there's been fewer than 5 Leafs in this country sold for less than five grand.

Please prove me wrong by posting a bargain sub €5k Leaf here every week and help us get more people to switch to EVs!

Every few weeks.

There have been a few posted in here with the asking at 5.5k or under afair. Of the top of my head, there was the blue 2012 acenta I bought for 5k. There was a grey ex taxi for similar money. There was a white (i think) one with a deflated tyre and then the black one with 9 bars. I'm sure i'm missing one or two and that's just in this thread. There is always room to negotiate when you show up with a fist full of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Soarer

cros13 wrote: »
    I would not advise a first time EV owner buy a Gen1 Leaf.

well then you'd be doing them a disservice.

I average 20kms per day. Why wouldn't a 9 cell Gen 1 suit me?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

goz83 wrote: »
    There have been a few posted in here with the asking at 5.5k or under afair.

Yeah about 3 that most likely sold for under €5k. My thread is almost a year old.

Because all cars depreciate, we can expect more coming into the "under 5k" category in the next year or two. But the cheaper end Leafs have been holding their value remarkably well. Not just here, but in the UK also

I agree not recommending them to people is doing them a disservice. These cars are perfect as second family cars or for people who do very limited daily mileage and never go on long trips. As long as they know the limitations of the car and the further battery degradation that's coming, I can't see anything wrong recommending them even to people with these particular needs who know very little about EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

But the cheaper end Leafs have been holding their value remarkably well. Not just here, but in the UK also
    Thats absolutely true. I monitor pricing very fastidiously - as (by accident) - I've ended up importing Leafs for resale. Older Leaf pricing has gone up the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Do owners\importers\re-sellers on here have hidden agenda to keep older leaf prices high. :D
    Any other other known issues with the Gen1 Leaf? Was there something about a parking brake issue that was expensive to repair\replace?
    I met an owner 3 months ago whose Leaf wouldn't start - €600 to repair - i can't remember what part but either computer or ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

zapata wrote: »
    Do owners\importers\re-sellers on here have hidden agenda to keep older leaf prices high. :D
    Any other other known issues with the Gen1 Leaf? Was there something about a parking brake issue that was expensive to repair\replace?
    I met an owner 3 months ago whose Leaf wouldn't start - €600 to repair - i can't remember what part but either computer or ignition.

I think the salvage value on the batteries and motors are keeping a well suspended worldwide floor on prices . They can be used for many non motor vehicle applications.

Everyone brings their own prejudices to the table. However the market dictates at the end of the day. Im about to sell my first Gen.1 Leaf - I normally dont touch them but everything has a use case and everything has a pricepoint. For someone tipping about town theres still nothing wrong with a Gen 1 so long as it comes in at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Everyone brings their own prejudices to the table. However the market dictates at the end of the day. Im about to sell my first Gen.1 Leaf - I normally dont touch them but everything has a use case and everything has a pricepoint. For someone tipping about town theres still nothing wrong with a Gen 1 so long as it comes in at the right price.

I like the youtube videos on the ads. Why don't you add the link to the video when adding the photos. Click on 'Add your own YouTube video'. It is a good feature by donedeal.
    Some people would not know how to copy and paste the url into the address bar.

I like the youtube videos on the ads. Why don't you add the link to the video when adding the photos. Click on 'Add your own YouTube video'. It is a good feature by donedeal.
    Done - thanks for the feedback. Cant remember exactly but there was some sort of issue or other when I tried to add directly last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KCross wrote: »
    How do you figure that?
    The first bar is 15% and 6.25% for each bar after that.

So, 1st bar gone.... <85%
    Second bar gone: <79%
    3rd bar gone: <73%

The Mk1 Leaf in Ballivor:
    * LeafSpy reports SOH at 70%
    * the car has 9 bars (3 bars gone)

Marked as sold now. You buy it - for about €4k? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Marked as sold now. You buy it - for about €4k? :)

It was going for circa 4k cash.....I was thinking about it but left it in the end

For flippin' or keepin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For flippin' or keepin'?

Keeping....it's for my mother....

In the end I invested a few more quid and bought another one with less mileage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kcross pointed that one out on the eGolf thread. Not a 2017 though, but an early 2016. Which means the small battery and only a bit better than Leaf 24kWh kind of range. Still might suit someone, they are a good car and not everyone needs the big range all the time. ShefWedFan is pretty happy with his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Not far away from my price range now

P85+

£44k

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB3H16EFP45233?redirect=no

Look what it does to a modified 335i and this is one of the slowest Model S, some cars

Some mad guy over in ICE is buying a 535d instead

https://youtu.be/rdnrJkRhW5E

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nice spec except it's a pre AP1 car (so it doesn't have AP or TACC etc at all).
    You can get a non P model with AP1 for a similar price.

PS: I'm in a similar boat as yourself re the model S CPOs, it seems anyway.
    I'm waiting until I can get a AP fitted model S (preferably a P or D model) for less than £40k.

I've owned two 535d in the past (one of my pre EVangelist cars - shame shame shame) an e60 and an f10, and the torque and power delivery was startling. I can only imagine what a P85D would be like!

Go drive one!!! I drove a newish 90D from Sandyford. Similar performance as the early P85 but the grip was phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thierry14 wrote: »
    Not far away from my price range now

P85+

£44k

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB3H16EFP45233?redirect=no

Look what it does to a modified 335i and this is one of the slowest Model S, some cars

Some mad guy over in ICE is buying a 535d instead

https://youtu.be/rdnrJkRhW5E

Is there a reason Tesla wount advertise them on the irish site, is warranty etc. covered, i think a lot of folks are waiting for them to come under 40K as they hold value well and will be an exellent car for the next 5 - 10 years.

I cant wait to see one with a hitch in ireland!

Go drive one!!! I drove a newish 90D from Sandyford. Similar performance as the early P85 but the grip was phenomenal.
    It's been on my to do list for some time. But I don't want to drive one yet as, knowing me, I'll buy it!
    My leaf would be a quiet and silent drive home if I didnt.

I'm (for what seems like ages) in the process of buying my PPR, that's the first focus, and once that's out of the way it's clear for my Tesla.
    gally74 wrote: »
    Is there a reason Tesla wount advertise them on the irish site, is warranty etc. covered, i think a lot of folks are waiting for them to come under 40K as they hold value well and will be an exellent car for the next 5 - 10 years.

I cant wait to see one with a hitch in ireland!
    Warranty is covered, you have either 4years/50k miles (on CPO) or 2years/100k total odometer (on inventory models) "bumper to bumper" warranty, in addition to the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the drivetrain and battery.

They said in the past they will sell only Irish CPO cars on the Irish site.
    Some people here have said the staff in Sandyford tell them otherwise in person (IE if you ask about a UK CPO car you can buy it through tesla) but they don't advertise the UK ones on the Irish site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's been on my to do list for some time. But I don't want to drive one yet as, knowing me, I'll buy it!
    My leaf would be a quiet and silent drive home if I didnt.

I'm (for what seems like ages) in the process of buying my PPR, that's the first focus, and once that's out of the way it's clear for my Tesla.

Warranty is covered, you have either 4years/50k miles (on CPO) or 2years/100k total odometer (on inventory models) "bumper to bumper" warranty, in addition to the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the drivetrain and battery.

They said in the past they will sell only Irish CPO cars on the Irish site.
    Some people here have said the staff in Sandyford tell them otherwise in person (IE if you ask about a UK CPO car you can buy it through tesla) but they don't advertise the UK ones on the Irish site.

Thanks. A visit is due

The issue with the UK CPOs has always been the VRT... and I don't know that Tesla have sorted that yet.

cros13 wrote: »
    The issue with the UK CPOs has always been the VRT... and I don't know that Tesla have sorted that yet.
    Yes that is the issue.
    There are model S registered in Ireland so there must be some sort of calculation/stat code. But it's not on the website.

So we know it will be 14% of the OMSP and then deduct €5k.
    The problem is if they allocate €100k or something ridiculous as the OMSP on a 2014 model s, the VRT would be €9k

I'd be half tempted by something like this.
    Obviously a thorough review of the pre- and post- condition, and perhaps a report from Tesla on the car would be needed.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705165515818?postcode=ig61lu&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&make=TESLA&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

It's one of those things where I'm interested.... just not interested in going first...

A write-off for the sake of a 10% discount? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not in a Tesla...

• Advertisement

It would be more of a 15-20% discount if you look at the price of a 2015/16 dual motor AP car though. Compared to the cheapest 2014 s85e (non AP1) then yes it's 10% off.

Advertisement