Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd be half tempted by something like this.
    Obviously a thorough review of the pre- and post- condition, and perhaps a report from Tesla on the car would be needed.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705165515818?postcode=ig61lu&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&make=TESLA&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

How do Irish insurance companies view cat D write offs. Would it be more expensive than standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No idea, but when it comes to insuring a Tesla I'm getting the vaseline out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Another issue is that if Tesla have it listed as a write-off on their system, access to parts and service will be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ELM327 wrote: »
    No idea, but when it comes to insuring a Tesla I'm getting the vaseline out anyway.

Tesla are rolling out their own insurance worldwide, I don't think it's in Ireland yet but it will be eventually. They claim it will be cheaper than any other insurance because they believe Teslas are safer than other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GarIT wrote: »
    Tesla are rolling out their own insurance worldwide, I don't think it's in Ireland yet but it will be eventually. They claim it will be cheaper than any other insurance because they believe Teslas are safer than other cars.

Heh... I don't expect someone buying Tesla to do cash for crash either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

grogi wrote: »

I'd bet the Tesla owner\driver would be hard working, decent and honest. It's the other c4c cnuts out there that make a profession out of staging crashes that need to be watched out for...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

grogi wrote: »

Is it even possible to do that in a Tesla? Would it not just apply the brakes itself to prevent the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

GarIT wrote: »
    Is it even possible to do that in a Tesla? Would it not just apply the brakes itself to prevent the crash?

You could probably find a way around it. For safety reasons the car will probably drive with damaged parking sensors, so if all these are removed/damaged someone could possibly crash it. Although this would look suspicious if an investigation was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

161 Leaf 24kWh Grey Tekna/SVE with 6.6kW charger
    https://speakev.com/threads/nissan-leaf-24kwh-tekna-6-6-kw-non-flex-2016.58441/

Asking £13k... lets say negotiate £12,500, add on flight and ferry would be about €14300

Similar 151 cars here are asking €12300-€13500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

zapata wrote: »
    How do Irish insurance companies view cat D write offs. Would it be more expensive than standard.

Some insurance companies wont quote on Cat D / will load your policy others don't seem to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Not sure if this qualifies but we really do get shafted on prices sometimes compared to UK. Out of interest I put up a Carwow request for a new Zoe 40. Just got back an offer of £17k for a brand new i-Dynamique Nav which is battery owned version I believe. If you were UK based you could probably also get another 2k scrappage off that. They are circa €30k here right?
    So anyway I'm not buying but felt it was a bargain. Would there be any issues with buying brand new direct from th UK, is it possible? It's tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That doesn't make sense. Pretty sure you either got a quote for a 22kWh Zoe battery owned or a 41kWh Zoe battery leased. If it's too good to be true...

Post the exact details of your search and / or the results and I'm sure someone here will figure out what it is

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. Pretty sure you either got a quote for a 22kWh Zoe battery owned or a 41kWh Zoe battery leased. If it's too good to be true...

Post the exact details of your search and / or the results and I'm sure someone here will figure out what it is
    I asked for quotes on both a Dynamique Nav and i-Dynamique. 12k for the Dynamique and 17k for the i version. Carwow shows the discount they can give is nearly 50% of RRP. Seems crazy but others saying similar on speakEV. Pretty sure both were the Z.E. 40, I think only the expression is available in 22kWh

stesaurus wrote: »
    Carwow shows the discount they can give is nearly 50% of RRP

Surely that can't be right? That said anyone paying €27.5k for the base model 41kWh here is a fool. €20k on the road I can believe, but a good bit less than that again in the UK (and they have a lower incentive) is crazy?

Maybe it's true. And Renault are making a massive profit off the people paying more than about €20k for the 41kWh. Fools! (the buyers, not Renault) :p

It definitely seems genuine. Only issue is that delivery seems to March timeframe which wouldn't bother me as it's then a 181 plate.
    I'm seriously considering this. Might be a hassle getting it zero rated for VAT export but around 20k landed for a 41kWh brand new Zoe would be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I was reading an internal company forum for employees who have EVs and two owenrs were complaining about problems on their Zoes which had the cars sitting in the workshop, one for a month, the other for a week.
    The local Renault dealer doesn't really know how to fix the cars. This dealer supplied my last two ICE cars but neither gave mechanical trouble so I never had to test their workshop.
    It appears that when an EV goes wrong they are the equivalent of a Mazda RX-8 in that nobody has a clue how to fix them and they scare the bejaysus out of everyone. Hopefully they prove to be as reliable in general as promised.

Leaf, Ioniq and i3 are generally considered very reliable, with no known issues that could leave you stranded. But there are many reported issues with Zoe, particularly with charging. Teslas are far from reliable but Tesla has a good reputation of fixing things and with the fix generally being better than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

737max wrote: »
    I was reading an internal company forum for employees who have EVs and two owenrs were complaining about problems on their Zoes which had the cars sitting in the workshop, one for a month, the other for a week.
    The local Renault dealer doesn't really know how to fix the cars. This dealer supplied my last two ICE cars but neither gave mechanical trouble so I never had to test their workshop.
    It appears that when an EV goes wrong they are the equivalent of a Mazda RX-8 in that nobody has a clue how to fix them and they scare the bejaysus out of everyone. Hopefully they prove to be as reliable in general as promised.

I hear the same thing from a VW mechanic re E golfs, engineers are flying in from Germany regularly, even though there's only a few of them on the road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bigus wrote: »
    I hear the same thing from a VW mechanic re E golfs, engineers are flying in from Germany regularly, even though there's only a few of them on the road .

Strange, I am part of VW eGolf World Wide group....the only known issue is the charge cable not been released on some of the 24kw eGolf....

Sorry other issue is sweaky suspension, same on all Golf's but you dont hear it on standard Golf because of engine noise

It doesn't require anyone from Germany to fly in....replace the charge port....

Tell me more about these VW mechanic's? would love to know more about these issues.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Strange, I am part of VW eGolf World Wide group....the only known issue is the charge cable not been released on some of the 24kw eGolf....

Sorry other issue is sweaky suspension, same on all Golf's but you dont hear it on standard Golf because of engine noise

It doesn't require anyone from Germany to fly in....replace the charge port....

Tell me more about these VW mechanic's? would love to know more about these issues.....

I'll update with more specifics when I see him again , it's more a case of when they do go wrong they're very limited in what they can touch ,hence the regular fly ins , and subsequently cars are off the road for longer , the lack of training on EVs in Ireland Is part of the problem .

• Advertisement

I'll update with more specifics when I see him again , it's more a case of when they do go wrong they're very limited in what they can touch ,hence the regular fly ins , and subsequently cars are off the road for longer , the lack of training on EVs in Ireland Is part of the problem .

Thanks, would like to see what the issues are.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Hmmm, would fit in with the extreme lengths that VW dealers go to to avoid selling the things

Hmmm, would fit in with the extreme lengths that VW dealers go to to avoid selling the things

Fairly sweeping statement with nothing to back it up.....

To be honest the problem is not VW but the Irish buyer. Why would a garage bother training mechanics/sales people on electric when last year they probably got zero requests for an electric car

The issue is the idiot Irish buyer who goes out and spends 30-??k on a new VW car and doesn't even bother checking if they should be driving diesel/hybrid/electric.

Of course this will change but take a read of the amount of cr*p on the main motor forum about diesel and it is going to be a slow process.

At least I see VW are trying to engage with Electric car owners.

Like it or not , if you talk to the majority of irish car salesman privately they universally across all brands,

call EV's ...... wankermagnets., because of the non buying tyre kickers they attract.

Also no car salesman likes being the first one to tell people that their EV Trade in is unsellable and worth a fraction of the new price !

I've heard this "wankermagnet" phrase firsthand from the MD of a very successful dealership who I know was referring to one of our own boardies ,(as I read the other side of the story on boards)who didn't help the situation By admitting that he had absolutely no interest in buying this manufacturers latest ev product, but was demanding to arrange an test drive so he could compare it to his newish leaf. Without naming names the MD suggested if he was that interested and knowledgeable about this particular model , the said boardsie should get a €50 Ryanair flight to Denmark for a test drive .

It stems from among other things, ignorance and the fact that the EV customers often know more about the product than the sales representative therefore catching them out on their normal bull, along with the fact that an EV trade in is totally undesirable.... at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Soarer

Like it or not , if you talk to the majority of irish car salesman privately they universally across all brands,

call EV's ...... wankermagnets., because of the non buying tyre kickers they attract.

That's probably a self fulfilling prophecy though.

Someone comes in to enquire about an EV.
    Salesman hasn't a clue and dissuades said customer.
    Customer leaves without purchase.
    Salesman coins "wankermagnet" and loses even more interest in EVs.
    Next customer walks in, and the cycle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

737max wrote: »
    Well I’m moving from an Rx8 which I loved for 10 years but cost me a fortune in petrol, oil, maintainence and tax to a Leaf. I’ll be going over to the uk before the end of the month to get my new EV. I’d say I’ll save close to 3500 a year.
    As I found with the RX internet knowledge will give you an idea of what you need and you can always find someone to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Also no car salesman likes being the first one to tell people that their EV Trade in is unsellable and worth a fraction of the new price !

I've heard this "wankermagnet" phrase firsthand from the MD of a very successful dealership who I know was referring to one of our own boardies ,(as I read the other side of the story on boards)who didn't help the situation By admitting that he had absolutely no interest in buying this manufacturers latest ev product, but was demanding to arrange an test drive so he could compare it to his newish leaf. Without naming names the MD suggested if he was that interested and knowledgeable about this particular model , the said boardsie should get a €50 Ryanair flight to Denmark for a test drive .

It stems from among other things, ignorance and the fact that the EV customers often know more about the product than the sales representative therefore catching them out on their normal bull, along with the fact that an EV trade in is totally undesirable.... at the moment.

Might have given too much details there. There aren’t many boardsies driving EVs and only a couple who (a) drive a newish Leaf and (b) have test driven other EVs after buying their Leaf. I would be utterly surprised if it was Tesla and not at all surprised if it was a certain Dublin based BMW dealer who may have been talking about potential customers with such disdain. It’s all a bit Mad really

Another broad sweeping statement

Similar to the eGolf statement....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Sounds like a BMW MD alright

Typical ****

Definitely not a Tesla MD, they are lovely in Sandyford, really welcoming, the future

I cant wait till they get it together and crush those *****

Mad_Lad if your reading, don't be a fool and buy that gammy looking i3.

Wait for a Tesla baby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Get back to posting bargains! :-)

Any issues with this? Seems very reasonably priced.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710270713344?

Probably not battery owned at that price?

Also untaxed since May :confused:

Advertisement