Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've done worse. And contrary to popular belief, I don't bring a gun and point it at the seller's head 😂

That car has done almost 2 million km 😂 There is only one petrol / diesel car in the world ever that has done that sort of mileage on the original engine, and that engine was rebuilt from scratch several times too (Trigger's broom - still the same broom but the head and the handle were replaced many times)

It's an early Model S, they had issues with motors and batteries and allsorts. The facelift Model like the car you test drove, isn't known for any major issues and is far better built with a much more premium interior than the early cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

This car was imported from the UK with 167k km two years ago. Is there any reason why the remainder of the 8-year motor/battery warranty might be invalidated? And, just to put you on the spot, if you had the choice would you go for the 6 year old S at €30k or a brand, spanking, new Model 3 at €42k?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

If I was in the market for a Tesla right now I’d be keeping my eye out for a €25k Tesla Model 3.

Theres one in Mayo right now and after talking to the seller on behalf of a friend, it seems like they would take very close to that figure

8 year unlimited mileage warranty still applies

And the second question depends very much on what you need and value in a car. Would you rather a 6 year old BMW 745i to travel in ultimate comfort and speed with lots of toys powered by a smooth self breathing petrol V8 or a brand new but slow 316d with a tiny smelly force fed tractor engine? (I know not a fair comparison, but I made these same decisions 20 years ago and did actually buy older BMW cars with large V8 petrol engines)

For me it's easy as I simply need a large hatchback. The Model 3 is not large and doesn't have a hatchback 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That must have sold as I do not see it up on DoneDeal.

There will be others. A regular on this forum paid €25k last month for a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD last month. Plus auction fees, but still.

Your right, its sold now. It was 192 with high ish mileage but I imagine it sold close to €25k, as he accepted €27k over the phone straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah, I can see the sword is your preferred negotiation tool 😉😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The truer question is if something goes wrong. Example someone hits your car. Which one will be back on the road quicker? And can you live with being off the road for longer. My money might be on the Model 3 in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

With so many different specs for different markets and models it's very hard to work out what features the 2017 Model S has!

For example are memory seats standard? Key for me as my wife will be driving it half the time! Are there any parking assist features? Can you lock/unlock with your phone? Can you preheat the cabin on a timer? It's hard to get this type of information as the dealer selling it doesn't even know!

Not really that hard and I'd be fairly confident that all Model S have that. Not only that but as long as you have 2 keys, one for you and one for your wife, if you enter the car (without touching any button or use any key), the car knows who it is and will put all the settings in place that are in your profile. My wife wants range in km, I want it in percentage SOC. The car knows that. I kid you not. All Teslas had that over 10 years ago. Also if you run the VIN through a VIN calculator, you can find out exactly what options the car has. Mind if the car was subsequently sold by Tesla, some of those options might have been removed by Tesla, mean bullies that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

What did that 20k Tesla that was sold cost the owner in depreciation in the 2 years.

Guessing he bought it for around ~40k?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

€35500 which was a good price at the time. Cars in general were in a bubble then, which well and truly burst when Tesla lowered the price of a new Model Y twice significantly over a 3 month period from late last year. He did put up 70k km though with zero maintenance apart from tyres. And saved a fair few bob on fuel, tax and tolls. And I feel he sold it too cheaply. He had only reduced it in the last few months from €33k to €25k, he was keen to move onto something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

There's hope for us used car buyers yet if a guy is prepared to drop €13k from asking price

He was mad to let it go for 20k. As if a guy was there looking at a car you had up for 25k he is not in his head saying I will only pay 20k. Some guys always start at a low number like 20k just to start off, and I would usually tell them I'd rather keep it. The guy selling must have said yes straight away rather than start off negotiating.

Well the €33k asking price was a good few months ago with fresh tyres afaik. But yes I agree he let it go madly cheaply. The car has 16 battery packs, which sell for about $900 each on eBay. Probably a bit more once you can show the docs that this battery was refurbished by Tesla less than 3 years ago. And cars have dropped dramatically in value in the last 5-6 months. And the market is stale. So if you want to shift a car, you have to make it seriously cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Wasnt sure what thread to use for this one. But thinking of purchasing a hybrid soon enough, either self charging or plug in. I dont have a charger at home so if go a plug in, that would need to be purchased/installed. Im pretty green around this and not sure what type to go for but saw this online and looks pretty good. I havent seen this make/model advertised or mentioned much in the EV conversations so not sure if thats a good thing.

What would be the thoughts around it?

https://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/vehicle?id=v1qgp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its a Japanese import, if I was buying it, I would get it from japan for around 4000 less,

Get the charger installed, sooner or later your going to do it anyway.

That hybrid would probably return 50 mpg, a plug in would do anything from 20 to 50 km on electricity depending on the car, it would require knowledge of your usual commutes to recommend one.

I had 2 hybrids and on my 4th phev, 4 cars from japan and 2 from the UK.

• Advertisement

That car is just a standard hybrid. No different to any other petrol or diesel car really. They don’t get discussed much in these threads.

You should probably decide if you want a plug in hybrid which can be charged and driven purely on electric power, or a regular hybrid which just starts/stops at low speeds.

You could start a new thread and people will advise on best options. This isn’t really the thread to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Definitely start a new thread asking for advice and opinions. Include your current car needs, your daily commute and if you travel Dublin to Cork every couple of weeks/months. What is your max budget, do you have a trade in. Do you have a driveway, or designated parking and what type. Then we can start to make suggestions.

In general, though....a mild hybrid is just a petrol/diesel car with a piddly electric Assist thrown in.

A PHEV is a petrol or diesel with an electric motor and small battery giving range typically 20-40kms on a full charge with fuel as a backup. Suits some but is seen as best or worst of both worlds depending on who you ask. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, BMW 330e and Hyundai Tucson PHEV are examples.

An EV is full electric. Range 100-500kms Nissan Leaf to Long Range Tesla. Range varies depending on many factors.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

All fair enough, but I’m guessing he sold it for what the first interested buyer was willing to offer - yes in retrospect it’s ‘cheap’, but hammer prices usually reflect the market. Theres absolutely zero tesla 2nd hand main dealer market, so the market for them is mostly people who would love a new one but can’t afford it - so they’re only looking for keenly priced low mileage ones.

in March we were offered €26k on a 192 m3 sr+ on a trade in. We didn’t take it, but I can’t see a private ad achieving anything more today, probably less.

I've had this base white m3 ad saved since Jan/Feb when they were looking for a premium for immediate delivery, something like €48.9k.

its now a 232 zero mile car and not a 231, so I’m guessing it’s new and unregistered??

As a private ad, (with a tonne of tesla ad ‘guff’), this isn’t selling until it’s €40k at very very most.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-3/used-2023-231-tesla-model-3-new-232-dublin-fpa-202209169829448

Even some of Tesla’s overpriced inventory cars are better value and you get some sort of delivery day experience

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Definitely the same car, Parked on the same dull day in the same spot :)

How can you have a car unregistered? I mean a dealer I think can do that but I didn't know a private seller could. That is if it's the same car.

Tesla screwed him anyway with the price drops. He thought he was going to make a killing and now has been stuck with the same car a fair few months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

He paid 52k for the car last September, I have texts with him refusing to budge from then. He really needs to cut his losses but he's very stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It's fraudulent to try and sell a 222 plate as 232 though.

• Advertisement

The Model Y RWD in white (only free colour at the time) was €63k last September. The price drop was on 14th October 2022 down to €54k on the road for a white one. And before deliveries started the price dropped again to €46k on the road for a white or black one on 13th January 2023. So from that, I presume he paid €46k for it...

My guess is he then took delivery in H1, 2023 so the car has a 231 reg. Not sure why he is advertising as 232?

Advertisement