Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oops, my bad! Just presumed it was a Model Y 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Not a bargain anyway

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

God you’d be sick after buying a €63k+ Model Y last September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

v interesting to hear it’s a real car anyway.

however, the car he’s selling has plates on it for sure, and can only be either 222 or 231 if he delayed collection.

As for the zero miles, assuming that’s still true, why decide to not even drive the car after taking delivery.

honestly, it’s bizarre. The only choice is to bite the bullet on the depreciation, or else keep it and drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Core reason I simply don't trust tesla. Whatever about their price impact on other marques they really truly screw over their own customers poorly. Its actually unfair.

Most tesla drivers don’t seem to care, probably because the depreciation loss isn’t crystallised until the time comes to sell.

Remember the tesla CEO told the markets in 2019 that Tesla’s were ‘appreciating assets due to their self driving abilities’?

my sister has a €65k 212 M3 LR (no grant aid) on the 4.5% tesla/AIB finance, so she’ll be all in for about €69/70k once paid off over a 5 year plan.

that same no-option car is sold new for €49k today and hers has 80,000km and worth maybe €35k as a trade in. For now, she doesn’t seem to care less tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends on your viewpoint. I much prefer a company that screws an early idiot fanboi buyer that clearly paid over the odds and then lowering the price, again and again, to offer by far the best value for money EV on the market. I'd buy after the again and again (me) 😁

The fanboi (your sister) isn't screwed either as they were desperate to buy the car even at the super high price and they must have the latest gizmo, price doesn't matter. Can you not see the difference in the type of buyer for these cars? And that neither has a problem with what you consider to be a problem? "Unfair"- seriously, are you just whining / trolling for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

He was selling a white M3 before Christmas so he would have bought it for 53k. I know because I was selling a white M3 at the same time and we were both undercutting each other on price! I won! Or lost depending on how you look at it!

Whether this is the same car I'm not sure. I can't see the USS on the bumpers whereas the 2022 definitely had USS. Nut maybe they're there and the photo doesn't pick them up?

• Advertisement

That's because she isn't trading it. And doesn't care. I can 100 percent guarantee she'll be the first to complain of the laughable offers she gets when it comes to sale time.

It's fairly absolutely striking people actually legitimately defend tesla in this practice chopping prices multiple times over 6 months.

If that doesn't should captive audience I don't know what does. It's like apple owners...

Agree she doesn’t care, until resale time.

that said, really what’s happening here that depreciation is now a thing again, especially for tesla with their lack of secondary dealer market.

its not much difference to what would’ve happened 6-8 years ago if she had a 2 year old €65k Audi a6 with 80,000km, albeit the price of the Audi wouldn’t randomly drop €15k.

being an early adopter always comes at a price. It’s the nature of the beast.

Post edited by sk8board on

So it’s unacceptable for a company to actually reduce their prices for customers, making their cars more affordable and accessible, but if a company does the opposite and increases their prices then thats perfectly fine? Makes no sense what so ever.

And didn’t Volkswagen drop the price of their E-Golf by about €5k not long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The e-Golf was overpriced compared to its ICE versions and selling in very small numbers prior to the €5K price drop. VW also needed to clear the decks to make way for the ID.3. e-Golf production then dragged on longer on a MK7.5 platform longer than anticipated due to several delays in launching the ID.3. Despite the €5K price cut, e-Golf residuals have held up really well considering it’s limited range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's okay to drop prices before I buy something but not okay to drop prices after I've paid the higher price 😉

Personally I'm happy to see prices going down for a change, even if it means actual depreciation on my car.

I can understand being annoyed with Tesla if I'd bought one at the higher price last year, but that's how things go sometimes.

On the flip side, was it right for people who'd bought EVs in 2019-2021 to be laughing at having no deprecation and sometimes even selling the car at a profit?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I know it was not well received previously but the only way to mitigate the impact of the price drop is to keep buying Tesla, at least the cost of change won't be prohibitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

It's obviously annoying to see something you buy have a price change down after, but it's a depreciating asset in the first instance and until you sell it's irrelevant. Sunk cost phallacy theory is worth a read and explains the emotions. I'd feel a lot worse if an investment went down in price, which they also do unexpectedly!

😎

Been watching M3s for several weeks and used stock is moving but very slow. Have people got hit with depreciation so bad they are clinging onto a price? New M3 can be got for 42, and typical done deal used with 2020 plus minus a year with medium to high miles is 36-37k, making new one a no brainier.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2020 plus minus a year with medium to high miles is 36-37k

Are they selling though at those prices. Or are they wishful thinking sellers.

It can't be the same though as the audi as you've pointed out. The Audi won't randomly drop by 15k.

The model y is a good example imagine buying one for 65k in 2022. And people are buying them new from the same shop for 20 grand next. That's not a 20 grand drop for you in a year its over 25k. As no ones going to buy yours for close to new.

In 12 months that's a sizeable hard swallow. And not really compatible to any brand. Also to point out everyone is fully aware a vehicle is a depreciating asset. But there's also some sensible recognition there's still alot of value in a 2 year old car in order to finance the next one. Tesla has borked that concept possibly to the detrement of itself?

• Advertisement

That's my point, same cars. They are the same cars sat there for weeks. I expect usual behaviour of people trying to sell cars is to have it moved on in 2-3 weeks?

In their defence, newer adverts aren't coming on and undercutting them, so there is a low supply element to the second hand market, which may prop up their wishful thinking, maybe they have a blind spot/denial around availability and price. For just a bit more people can go new. Some will argue about alloy wheels upgraded or performance of these used stock, but second hand market tends to prioritise price and age and KM, even if aesthetics/perf rank 3rd the new car wins with the current small price gap.

if one or two would drop their prices 5k then market would probably rebalance quickly- and I could purchase a second Tesla 😀

😎

Any bargains?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All of those are standard on every single Tesla. Not complicated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No no, the first rule of the EV & hybrid forum is that regardless of the thread title they all turn into an argument about Tesla 😂

On the topic of bargains I didn't buy, I saw the €24k ID.3 Style is gone, next cheapest is a couple of Lifes for just over €25k so not many bargains there

This one seems like the best deal for a VW at the moment

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2021-volkswagen-id-3-pro-150-kw-style-auto/33683893

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It’s a bit paddy spec but it’s the 204bhp long range model with plenty warranty left. https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34774050

VW ID4 LIFE 77KWH 204HP PROPERF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Tesla dont seem to be advertising any 'new' used cars - why is this? Surely many buyers of new Tesla's have been trading in 2 or 3 year old Tesla's rather than trying to sell them privately? Yes Ive heard a million times its cheaper to sell private and buy direct but lets face it most buyers of cars are'nt looking to start a new career in car sales and generally folk who buy new every 2 or 3 years tend to trade in.

Are Tesla sitting on a big stock of nice 2 year old Model 3's? If they are trading them on then you'd imagine they are missing out on a massive margin as the traders buyings used Tesla's are going to bid bottom book. Selling used cars has been a nice profit stream for them in the U.S. too.

I wouldn’t think so, Tesla trade in values have been very poor for at least 6 months. They don’t have the space in Sandyford to handle used car sales even if they had stock. Graham Walker often has nearly new Tesla’s for sale and has a good reputation.

They are all heavily overpriced, why does anyone buy from him

Probably convenience mainly. If he has a car advertised you can actually just go and buy it rather than waiting around for Tesla’s magic delivery dates. He may also give better trade in rates. It’s all about the cost to change if you have something decent to trade up from.

• Advertisement

Tesla will eventually have to run a 2nd hand network though, right? They’ll have too many customers to ignore.

Kia/Hyundai/bmw etc can easily offer better trade-ins on Tesla’s in order to get people to switch.

Shifting a relatively expensive 2nd hand car is hard at the best of times - and tesla literally don’t want their own cars back.

Advertisement